[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I got a coffee table from my folks they had when I was a kid.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: coffee table.jpg (1MB, 1500x972px) Image search: [Google]
coffee table.jpg
1MB, 1500x972px
So I got a coffee table from my folks they had when I was a kid. What I'd like to do with it, if possible, is: (1) re-do the varnish, (2) not sand the scratches off (most of the scratches I caused as a kid so they have sentimental value) and (3) not have to restain it (not absolutely necessary, just prefer if I don't have to).

Doing a little googling, seems like a chemical stripper is the way to go rather than sanding so I can save the scratches. I have two questions though that I can't figure out: will all chemical strippers remove the stain in addition to the varnish, or are there kinds for just removing the varnish? Also, if I do have to restain it, will the scratches be super emphasized when I apply new stain? (google just has stuff about removing scratches/old stain altogether, also pic isn't of exact table)
>>
Homer Formby Furniture Restorer.
>>
Whats wrong with the old varnish and why do you want to take it off completely?
Just for the sake of making it into a project?

Also that table doesn't look like it has any sort of stain. Just clear varnish.
>>
Sand out the scratches and call yourself a man. Keep them and remain a scared boy.
>>
>>1041956
It's pretty worn down/scratched/stained, I just figured it'd be better long-term to redo it completely than try to repair it with polish or oil. Also that's not the actual table.
>>1041985
m'kay guy
>>
Stripper will certainly remove the stain. So will sanding. You're kind of screwed on that front.

When restaining, the scratches will appear very dark. The reason is that the scratches cut into the wood and expose end grain, which absorbs more stain. Very light surface scratches that don't cut into the wood, just dent it a bit (like phantom handwriting on the 2nd piece of paper in a pad) will be fine. You can keep the deep scratches light by rubbing some wax into them before you stain, but that may end up too light. Be careful to remove any wax from the main surface or it will make a light spot there as well. You will have to experiment a bit to see what results you want.
>>
>>1042421
Thanks man, that's helpful.
>>
>>1041918
You can just shellac the piss out of it- build up a nice new smooth surface and keep the stain and scratches.

Really depends on its current state. If the finish isn't flaking off, it will hold the shellac just fine.
If the old surface is turning to dust, then that will need to be somewhat stabilized.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.