[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could I simulate a 433 MHz signal with wifi packets? I want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: pwm.png (17KB, 688x475px) Image search: [Google]
pwm.png
17KB, 688x475px
Could I simulate a 433 MHz signal with wifi packets?
I want to control my light switches with my phone and computer, but tellsticks are too bulky, and wifi is already in both devices.

I'm thinking that if I want to send data over 433 MHz, I can just send the same bits repeated 12 times (5 GHz wifi, 5196 MHz = 12*433 MHz). Would that work? Maybe power levels are too low?

Also, if it works in theory, I guess drivers might need to be hacked, but that can't be too hard for the computer at least.
>>
No, you can't. The wi-fi signal is frequency modulated which means that for example a bit 1 is transferred by sending a 5.1 GHz signal and bit 0 is tranferred with a 5.15 Ghz signal.
>>
File: no.png (28KB, 746x816px) Image search: [Google]
no.png
28KB, 746x816px
>>1041552
pic
>>1041556
this is simplified by an infinite amount
>>
>>1041556
In hardware I assume?
Would be cool to have a multi frequency transmitter based on the idea though.
>>
>>1041556
>>1041575
Hmm but the driver can choose channel, i.e. the frequency. What about sending just ones ones with some time in between?
>>
>>1041552
Don't equate a carrier signal with data. You can modulate a carrier with data but not the other way around, same way you can use dc to switch an ac mains voltage on and off but that does not change the frequency of the mains line.
>>
>>1041577
Yes, but hardware is limited to a short range of frequencies around 2.4-2.5 and 5-5.8 GHz. Also the low level processing of the signal is done inside the wifi chip, so it's very unlikely that you can send anything other than wifi with it. If you want a cheap multi frequency transmitter you can look into a CC1101 chip for example.
>>
>>1041582
No, you are thinking about simple pulse modulation. Wi-fi signal actually uses very complex modulation, and it does use frequency changing. My example was just a really simplified explanation for OP.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.