[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any one put together a motorised bicycle?? If so how hard is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: 61GubhDgYUL._SL1000_.jpg (116KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61GubhDgYUL._SL1000_.jpg
116KB, 1000x1000px
Any one put together a motorised bicycle?? If so how hard is it to do and is it worth it?
>>
>>1041510
I have bought 2 of these 80cc kits. First one from eBay. The bearings in the motor were fucked. I requested a refund and they said they'd send me a new one. A month later I receive a bag of rusty bearings to repair my motor. I tried, these bearings were just as bad. Fuck.

I gave up for a year, had other projects going. I ordered another kit from an Amazon seller who had good reviews. The kit I recieved had very slight differences from the first, like different threads on the studs, different exhaust stud spacing etc. Basically, to use any old spare parts, they would require modification. Ok.

I went through and got the kit installed, even bought a pullstart. Got everything turning smoothly, then the next day bought gas and oil. Tried to start it about 50 times before I picked the bike and gave up. Turns out the head will not sit flat against the case, and the shitty tinfoil gasket does absolutely nothing. Basically, fuck these shitty fucking kits. Buy from an American builder, one that gets qc and testing. Fuck the shitty spoke attachment, on any standard wheel it will fuck the spokes. If you have any common sense, buy a street legal scooter instead.
>>
>>1041510
I think their awsome ive bought 3 evensolda few in my town
>>
They're pretty easy to put together, fun to ride and a good intro to engine mechanics. I built one my junior year of high school and rode it to school a lot. They're fun.
>>
Two blokes I know have them and swear by them. But they are also dumb arses who have lost their licences for drink driving. I think one does about a 30km round trip to work on his most days.
>>
File: 4007657882_b181af8c6a_z.jpg (157KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
4007657882_b181af8c6a_z.jpg
157KB, 500x375px
Build a push trailer
You can get away cheaper than those kits with a much more powerful engine.
bonus points for being able to remove the trailer when you dont need it and just have your regular bike
>>
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (409KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
409KB, 1000x563px
>>1041510
My roomate in college had one that he pieced together. Fun to ride, but not really practical as you can't take them inside shops and you end up smelling like gas/oil.

I'd look into building an electric bike from an old downhill frame. You can pick them up pretty cheap, convert to hydraulic brakes, and slap a mid drive motor on it (bafang, tangent, lightning rods, etc). You'll end up with something akin to a dirtbike in terms of power, mostly silent, and can be taken inside shops/busses/etc without anyone being the wiser.

Additionally in the States, Federal disability laws make it legal to ride in pedestrian only areas, sidewalks, and you have enough speed to keep up the pace of traffic on 45mph roads. With a gas motor, you're allowed on the road if under 50cc - but you can't drive on sidewalks or through parks and shit.
>>
You get out exactly what you put in. I had a lot of trouble getting mine to run, but after a lot of clever(?) fixes and twists it's fairly dependable.

Be aware that everything is of more or less shit quality- after a couple hundred miles, my gas tank leaks enough to be a problem, and the kill switch that came with the kit never worked from the start.
>>
>>1041762
>I'd look into building an electric bike from an old downhill frame. You can pick them up pretty cheap, convert to hydraulic brakes, and slap a mid drive motor on it (bafang, tangent, lightning rods, etc). You'll end up with something akin to a dirtbike in terms of power, mostly silent, and can be taken inside shops/busses/etc without anyone being the wiser.

As a guy who has built and owned several electric bikes...do not even bother if you aren't prepared to drop a fair chunk of cash on batteries.

>b-but m-muh lead acid...

If this is an experiment in foolery, then fine. But lead falls behind miserably in terms of long-term cost compared to lithium chemistries, and, currently, they're not even much cheaper up-front. Nevermind the huge weight penalty.

As nice as it is to spend under $0.07 in electricity to get myself to work and back, it's still going to be a while before the thing pays itself off.
>>
I went to a local flea market that sold them and parts first thing you should do is buy American bolt and stud kit for it then tear the motor down and loctite everything and sand the head little for it to sit better it's more of a toy then anything else
>>
Motorized bicycle...as in... a motorcycle?
>>
File: fawfgaga.png (165KB, 802x406px) Image search: [Google]
fawfgaga.png
165KB, 802x406px
>>1041510
Kind of related question:
I bought jawa babetta 207 recently in terrible condition... and i've got the motor fixed but i'm left with troublesome annoyance. The rear tire has 2 cogs on each side. One connected to the pedals and the other one to the engine. The pedal cog is spinning freely for some reason and the schematics show that its supposed to? So what the actual fuck is gonna transfer the pedaling side chain movement to the engine?
>>
>>1041904
>So what the actual fuck is gonna transfer the pedaling side chain movement to the engine?

The drawing is small and I don't see anything to hold the sprocket (cog) to the assembly.
If the drawing is incomplete, there may be something as simple as a spring not shown which can be used as a on-way drive/clutch.
Power applied to the sprocket by the chain will tighten the spring causing it to grip another piece imparting drive force to it.
When power is not applied to the sprocket, the spring relaxes and the sprocket spins freely.

Common use in autos now is 'overdrive clutch' on alternator pulley.
>>
>>1041904

I looked into it a little.
The clutch I spoke of here >>1041953
is built into the sprocket. It's called a freewheel.
>>
File: Spring.png (1MB, 1200x700px) Image search: [Google]
Spring.png
1MB, 1200x700px
>>1041959
So what am i doing wrong?
When i pedal it there is no grip at all...
>>
File: IMG_0266.jpg (882KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0266.jpg
882KB, 2048x1536px
>>1041806

Picture:
>>
>>1041510
They're all garbage, bike frames are not designed or safe to mount an engine to, you're creating a massive safety hazard for yourself and everyone around you, and you'll look like a massive tryhard faggot on the thing. Just get a small motorcycle or a scooter instead. Buy one that needs repair/rebuilding if you want it to still be DIY.
>>
File: li_fig_11[1].jpg (28KB, 500x339px) Image search: [Google]
li_fig_11[1].jpg
28KB, 500x339px
>>1041966
It may have failed - is broken.
The two holes in the side are for removal from the hub.
If you hold the center, it should turn freely in one direction but 'lock in the opposite direction.

Here is where I found information about this sprocket.
http://www.myronsmopeds.com/category/parts/jawa-parts/

Pic related may give you a better understanding of how it works
This is for a different device but shows how 'some' overrun clutches are built.
>>
>>1042188
>If you hold the center, it should turn freely in one direction but 'lock in the opposite direction.

Not very clear there.

If you hold the center and spin the sprocket as the chain would, the sprocket should spin freely but should attempt to turn the center with it when spun in the other direction.

If it spins easily in both directions with the center held to prevent turning, it is broken or so dirty inside that the parts can't move to operate the clutch/ratchet mechanism.
>>
>>1041815
>As a guy who has built and owned several electric bikes...do not even bother if you aren't prepared to drop a fair chunk of cash on batteries.

I do 90% of my commuting with a 48v 5ah pack - or $75 in batteries from HobbyKing. A more reasonable 20ah pack isn't really that much if you aren't building 20s 20ah packs for a big hub motor.

>>1042081
I run nearly 200ft/lbs at the rear wheel through an off the shelf bicycle frame. A little motoped conversion like this won't even be a quarter of that nor really have any issues.

The only thing I'd recommend is getting a better quality freewheel and rear hub that what comes with these Chinese kits and most older bikes.
>>
>>1042246
Why not just cycle? Like, with the pedals?

It's really not so difficult as you would imagine...
>>
>>1041510
If you want ease of installationand upkeep then you want an electric install.

I own seven bikes, 3 converted to ellectric.

I have two hub motor bikes, and a mid drive.

I would suggest the BBS02. It mounts on the bottom bracket and works very well, integrates into the drive train without any major hassles. Additionally the firmware editing software is available on the net and you can configure the controller however you want. And 48v batteries are easy to get from hobbyking.

Hub motors can put out a shit ton of raw power, but are shit when you either lose power or want to peddle under your own power because of the dead rotational mass in the wheel.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.