[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get rid of and prevent sigarette smoke in my room?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: second-hand-smoke-kills.jpg (21KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
second-hand-smoke-kills.jpg
21KB, 500x332px
How do I get rid of and prevent sigarette smoke in my room?

I just moved into a new place and there is a very prominent smell of sigarette smoke in my room, which I'm pretty sure comes from the guy one floor down, who's been here for years.

How do I get the smell out of the wooden walls? I'm thinking of washing everything with "green soap" as it's called here in Norway, soap used for wooden surfaces. I also read something about vinegar removing smells. Should I dilute that and smear it on the walls and floor first?

What ways can the smoke come in? There is no ventilation to or from the room, so I think it must be coming through the wooden floor. Should I buy laquer and give everything a coating to seal it up? I could consider laying plastic film and laying a new floor on top of this one.

Any other tips? I'm going to keep some plants in the room as well and see if that helps freshen the air.
>>
>>1041367
You cant get it out, it is the oil in the smoke and it will get into the wood.

If smoke can come up from downstairs from your floor, your building is fucking low standard, and is not worth saving.

There is no other way the smoke inside the room is from anywhere other than inside the room. Unless both have windows directly above, and both are open all the time to allow the smoke to go in from the outside.

Once the oil takes hold in the walls etc it will be impossible to mask it with any amount of plants. Perhaps with industrial sized air filters, maybe can mask it while it is on, but it won't get rid of it.

Wooden walls<--just replace the walls.
>>
>>1041367
If renting, talk to your landlord, and bring up anything in the contract about smoke / non-smoking areas. If owning, scrub everything down with soapy water, dry, then fumigate with ozone. What kind of floors does your building have? OSB on wooden beams could let smoke through, but poured concrete wouldn't without openings. Check carefully for utility openings like electrical, data, plumbing, etc. Smoke might pass through a light opening on the ceiling below, work its way through the walls, and enter your room through an electrical outlet.
>>
>>1041376
Thanks. I really hope you're wrong in that theres absolutely no way of washing it out, but I have little reason to doubt you.

But the smoke coming from downstairs doesn't come through the solid floor planks themselves but I'd guess through the numerous tiny gaps between planks and behind skirting. I hope lacquer and some other filling material can do the job.

I'm not replacing the walls, I'm sure I'd never be allowed to. If it has to come to that I'll just move out as soon as I can, but I'd prefer not to.

>>1041378
Thanks, I'll keep all those gaps and openings in mind. It's a wooden building I'm quite sure, as is usual here. But the building seems to be very old.

Fumigation with ozone, I did not know this was a thing. But I think I can't take such drastic measures here, I live with 3 others in an apartment.
>>
>>1041382
If it's an old building with gaps everywhere, you won't be sealing it with lacquer. You'd need to install an airtight barrier across all routes the smoke might take to enter the room.

Ozone burns out the smelly chemicals left by smoke, and it infiltrates into materials like the smoke did. It's used for professional de-odorizing after fires and such. It's the most effective treatment available, but effectiveness takes several hours at a lethal ozone concentration. If the room were airtight, the other tenants wouldn't be a concern, but that's apparently the whole problem. There are also specialized soaps you might use, and specialized odor-blocking paint that goes over the cleaned surfaces, but with gaps remaining, that won't actually block lingering smells and new smoke from entering.
>>
>>1041367
often the coffee stuff that remains after making coffee, that nasty wet stuff will be able to at least undermine other smells.
>>
>>1041388
You're of great help, thanks a lot.
>>
https://youtu.be/zGBVvapq7sU might help get the currently present smell away but if your neighbour keeps puffing new smells into your apartement then its just a temporary solution
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.