[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've had this problem with my ER-5, where when trying to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: kawasaki-er5-8.jpg (64KB, 640x424px) Image search: [Google]
kawasaki-er5-8.jpg
64KB, 640x424px
I've had this problem with my ER-5, where when trying to start the bike the starter cranks the engine but it won't get running. If I turn the ignition off and back on, it usually starts after one or two times. But I would like to fix it before selling the bike. I've done following:

1. Checked the plugs, coils and leads. OK
2. Checked compression, very good.
3. Checked magneto, pickup coil
4. Checked CDI box, which gave some strange values so I replaced it, didn't help
5. Checked fuel tank, fuel lines and fuel tap and cleaned if necessary, all seems to be ok.
6. Removed the carb and took it apart cleaning it (was very clean to begin with).
7. Checked the killswitch, sidestand switch and neutral switch.
8. Checked the wiring, although I'm not sure I did this entirely correctly since I'm not that familiar with diagnosing electrical systems

My best guess it's some kind of electrical problem since bike will start if I turn it off and on few times. Any ideas on what to do?
>>
>>1041347
Check the battery, check the fuses, look for any bad earths or corroded connections, you might also like to take a look at the carb, especially the idle jet/choke.
>>
>>1041347
>Removed the carb and took it apart cleaning it (was very clean to begin with).
Sorry I missed that, check the battery, do a drop test on the battery.
>>
Er6 here.
My bet, based on experience is a faulty down sensor, or faulty kickstand switch. Hence you have to switchy on off to start it. Even if you have checked em, check the harness, and even as far as replace anyway. Ive seen many cases here in ausfagland where guys in your situ play tinkerbell for weeks then sell it, and the newfag literally spends $25 and fixes it.
Dump the codes bro, it will tell you whats up.
>>
File: 27010-1185.jpg (8KB, 200x181px) Image search: [Google]
27010-1185.jpg
8KB, 200x181px
>>1041347
>>1041605
This is definitely worth checking if it ticks over, but dies when you come out of neutral or drop the clutch. Had this problem on my GPZ500 this year and it was this little fucker on the kickstand, not sure if that has the same design, but it has no positive action, so it gets stuck in. Was going to replace it, but WD40 did the trick.

If it's not idling at all, even in neutral, then sounds like a fuel problem, check that you're getting a good vacuum to the carbs in the fuel line and there's no leaks, and that the fuel filter is clean.
>>
>>1041520
Battery is new, I've checked the fuses. I guess I'll go trough the wiring one more time.

>>1041605
I'm pretty sure it's not any sensor, because in ER5 if the stand is down, bike in gear or killswitc on the starter motor won't operate, which it does in my case.
>>
>>1041347
immediately i look at that picture and think its a fuelling problem i own an ex500 and know first hand that these bikes do not like after-market exhausts or intakes. also since you say the bike will crank and give good compression this doesn't sound like a starter problem.

check the plugs spark visually they may look fine but give no spark(my bike likes new plugs each season or it doesn't run right)

check the spark timing, if that's off there's no chance to fire.

check your carbs again, tune in the idle mix the idle speed and vacuum balance them. also the choke that gets more important and finicky as the bike ages.
>>
>>1041347
I did not read "visually checked for spark". That means removing both spark plugs, reconnecting the plug wires, laying them where the bodies are grounded to the engine, Crank engine briefly and look for happy fat blue sparks. Note spark plug condition per a color chart.

If cycling the ignition switch sometimes starts the motorcycle, I suspect worn ignition switch contacts which can happen on any motorcycle.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=196537&d=1341312352

ALWAYS search for forums catering to your bike. Your problem may be common so lurk then post.

http://www.bikersoracle.com/er5/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.