[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This isn't really diy but it is relevant I think because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: joint-pain.jpg (129KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
joint-pain.jpg
129KB, 600x348px
This isn't really diy but it is relevant I think because this board seems to be the only place where people have real jobs.

I am 24 and have a very physically demanding job. My joints are beginning to hurt, knees and elbows. What are ways to prevent further damage to joints while doing hard labor
>>
lose weight fat ass
>>
>>1041143
Ice + Ibuprofen regimen after you get home. Google "tendonitis" and "repetitive stress injury".
>>
>>1041143
wrap them or wear braces to support and absorb some of the shock. although people are probably going to make fun at you, but it's worth not having crippling arthritis at 40
>>
>>1041143
why don't you stop and buy some knee pads
yeah sure you won't look as manly but when you're 50 atleast youll still be able work while everyone else starts devoloping problems in their 30's
>>
>>1041212

knee pads? Im never on them, its just carrying shit on concrete
>>
File: DMw1whL.gif (1MB, 348x261px) Image search: [Google]
DMw1whL.gif
1MB, 348x261px
If you are concerned, it's probably for good reason. What type of work do you do, how long have you been doing it and what kind of job is it?
>>
>>1041244

building stair cases, 2 years
>>
>>1041243
Just git gud... boots. Also get your feet checked for fallen arches, or other kinds of foot problems. You might have something simple like that that is causing problems further up the line.
>>
>>1041243
I'd recommend some leg exercises so the muscles can take the strain off the bones and joints
>>
>>1041143
Ever considered improving your diet? Hard labor will wear at the cartilage and such in the joints and if you aren't getting nutrients to maintain them you will be screwed. Stop eating pizza and burgers (we both know you do) and eat some salads and stuff.
>>
File: md.jpg (664KB, 1786x2560px) Image search: [Google]
md.jpg
664KB, 1786x2560px
Its not lupus

I'm of the opinion- >>1041251 is probably it, get your feet checked
>>
>>1041256

I actually dont? stop projecting your insecurities on other people
>>
First and foremost, foot guy above. Proper work boots that fit, protect and support.

Secondly, knees. Dont ever kneel on you knees. Either slav squat or get knee pads if you must.

Thirdly, Exercise. If the major and supportive muscle groups aren't strong enough to support things then it can all go wonkers. Something as easy as doing a regimine of unweighted squats daily can improve these muscles in your legs. Pushups for chest and arms. And situps for core. Those are starting and thats better than nothing.

The idea is to get your muscles stronger than they need to be than your job demands.
>>
In addition to other anon's suggestions, taking a daily fish oil supplement will help too. Fish oil has also been shown to have positive effects on cognition, so enjoy that as a side effect.
>>
Check foot anons, fish anons, bones anons.
The treatment you need depends much on the injury. And from what you've said yours are more like chronic pains.
Anyway, taking a month off is always a good idea and two weeks won't be enough.
Massage your shit with joint ointments, those for massage, those to leave overnight, cotton compression sleeves are good just read the slicky.
Excercise. Squats and push-ups daily after you'll heal yourself.
Contrast shower and very right nourishment. Vegetables daily and meat few a week.
Expect them to go in a few seasons.
And if the pain will increase then the more you wait the worse it will be.
>>
Oh. And NO ALCOHOL when joints hurts.
>>
>>1041143
Most of us who do physical work have joint issues. If it hurts, you need to slow it down. Wear braces, carry less weight at a time, reduce impact stress. No matter how much muscle you get, your joints are still gonna go if you overdo it. In my early 30's I got some arm and shoulder tendonitis issues and rotator cuff pain and clicking. Doctor told me to stop for a month or two or I was gonna ruin my arms. I did, and I'm okay now. You gotta work smarter, not harder. Manage time to break up repetitive strenuous tasks, be clever about physics.
>>
Also try watching a couple of videos on correct manual handling techniques. Boring as batshit but necessary if you want to avoid things like these
>>
>>1041143
Honestly mate if you are overweight and out of shape that's number one to fix. After that is looked into get checked for varying types of arthritis. Not all types show up in old age.
>>
Here's another vote for "invest in good boots."

And they really are an investment. Cheap boots might last six months. Quality boots will last six years, and are often repairable at a low cost.

I stick with Red Wings for heavy duty work, Keens for light duty, and made in the UK Dr. Martens for daily wear. I have a pair of Chippewas for light winter wear, and some giant LaCrosse boots for real snow.

I have more shoes than my wife. And you know what? My knees don't hurt, and her's do.
>>
HAVE YOU EVER HERD OF OPC3? i recommend you give it a try it has helped me with my joint pain, miracle worker, highly recommend
>>
>>1041247
James?
>>
>>1041255
This. Work out to increase your strength and make sure you use proper form so that you don't get new injuries. You can also try stretching before doing your physically intensive work so that you are more flexible and less likely to fuck something up. In any case, try to exercise more.
>>
As mentioned, being in good physical shape is critical.

Start doing WEIGHTED squats and deadlifts. Learn proper form. This is critical. Do some light cardio to warm up. That's all you need. Throw in pushups and pullups to cool off.
>>
>>1041256
I agree with this. Hard labor makes you strong if your diet is good and you get enough sleep. It breaks you down if your diet is bad and you drink alcohol and don't sleep enough.
Glucosamine and chondroitin are pretty helpful. Also Omega 3s. Good boots and knee wraps like the other guys said as well.
>>
For your elbow pains and aches, pick up a compression sleeve. I got a McDavid sport med from Amazon. If I wear it, no extra elbow pain at the end of the day.
For your knees, try to walk properly, don't have your feet come landing completely on your heel, land in a more graceful motion of a mostly flat foot. Walking on your heels causes lots of shock and it's bad for your boy, boy.
Also make sure you're not living off a diet of hot pockets and kale. Eat an animal
>>
>>1042730
Seconding the keens. Just bought my second pair after 3 years of scouts and work. 130$ can get you some nice boots.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.