[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Philips head screws even exist when the Torx Aryan master

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 26

File: image.jpg (46KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 400x400px
Why do Philips head screws even exist when the Torx Aryan master race screw is commonly available?
>>
2/3 of philips screwdrivers fit 2/3 philips screws if you dont give a fuck - most people don't.
1 size torx screwdriver fits 2 sizes of torx screws if you wiggle it, 3 if you have a hammer.
Torx drivers cost more and you need a lot more of them.
Majority will go with the cheaper option.
I have full sets of each and only get annoyed when im handed the aftermath of someone trying to remove a torx with a philips.
>>
>>1041022
I'd rather try to remove a rusty Phillips then a rusty Torx any day.
>>
Hate these. Break their heads all the fucking time!
>>
I find that torx are easier to strip than phillips in real world conditions.

posidrive master race
>>
>>1041034
Couldn't fucking machine them more perfectly round.
>>
You are scum op kill yourself. Square heads are best if you are doing any special head size.
>>
File: philip.png (4KB, 178x178px) Image search: [Google]
philip.png
4KB, 178x178px
External hex for large / high torque things that can stick out.
Robertson for flush fasteners.
Flat for sanitary / precision applications.
>>
>>1041017
On a countersink head like that, torx has to be way undersized to fit at all. It has to either be a cap head bolt or something like phillips or flat head to make better use of the head.
>>
Somehow i always have the wrong size phillips bit, also an idiot
>>
File: hexlove.png (72KB, 852x671px) Image search: [Google]
hexlove.png
72KB, 852x671px
last time we had this thread i did the math

all heads are shit and can strip them selves out by using the one size lower bit ie t10 in a t15 head, s1 in an s2 head ect

EXCEPT METRIC HEX
MASTER RACE FAGGOTS

but who the fuck even cares about wood screws anyways?

ive never seen any of your shit tier screws on anything real, like a machine that makes anything

your screw a shit
>>
>>1041017
Op must not work a trade. If I have to build a deck or side a barn I'm going to have to buy 4 times as many torx bits than if I use Robertson screws
>>
File: jis-vs-philips.jpg (31KB, 825x456px) Image search: [Google]
jis-vs-philips.jpg
31KB, 825x456px
>>1041017
>commonly available
Yeah, sure
>>1041044
>posidrive master race
Please, JIS man
>>1041082
I second.
But Allen it's also good if screws and keys aren't shit quality.
>>
>>1041240
I'll never understand the #2 phillips drive. Why do they make the head so big when 99%of fasteners on the market only engage the first 1/4 of the tip? No wonder shit strips so much.
>>
>>1041187
I work at a company that designs/builds automation machines and integrates robots. The only time I've seen anything other than hex is on junction boxes for motors and little electrical shit like that.

Hex is truly the best for mechanical stuff. I don't know about wood but I've heard good things about Robertson.
>>
Put the right size Robertson screw on the driver and try to knock that fucker off. I can keep the screw on my drill in any position. As far as this contractor is concerned Phillips and flat blade screws should be illegal
>>
>>1041991
exactly. automated machines and fucking robots

real shit

not faggy toys like consumer electronics or crude wood shit

precision equipment, designed to run 24 hours a day

get on this level shit tier screw fags
anything not metric hex get out
>>
>>1041991
It's true. I run a CNC mill. Everything is hex on it.

Other than insert screws in our tools, which are torx.

Though the bolt holding shells and such on the holders are hex. As are screws for weldon flats and whistle notches.
>>
>>1041034
Stainless my man
>>
>>1042053

>construction
>SS hardware
>>
>>1042056
If it's your own shit why the fuck not? I wouldn't use them on a job had to competitively bid but on my own projects absolutely.
>>
>>1041017
Because torx is to complex for minorities to understand, and as such it is racist.
Using torx is non-inclusive, destroys safe spaces, is racist, and should be banned.
>>
File: 1454606133130.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1454606133130.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>1041082
>no Robertson in Germany
why even live
>>
>>1041082
>Flat for sanitary / precision applications.
I agree with the other two, but why this?
>>
>>1042051
But hex is shit and rounds off like none other.

Square drive is the true master race.
>>
I cut slots in torx screws at every opportunity in an attempt to make them usable hardware.
>>
>>1041017
> Phillips head
> only one size anyone ever actually uses, two or three others that you already have drivers for because you bought a set.
> torq
>60 different sizes bearing little relation to screw size, impossible to buy a full set of useful sizes because even if that existed you would have to mortgage your house. but don't worry the box of screw includes a driver because of how easy they can out and strip.
>>
>>1042940
Not him but--
Machinists can easily cut a flat/straight-slotted screw, so the screw can be exactly right for what you/'re making.

They can also apply the most torque (if you use a driver that actually fits your slot) They also self retain if your driver is perfect.

sanitary because they are easy to clean out, just being a single slot. You can even clean layers of paint off of one with a knife in a couple seconds.
>>
>>1042985
>>1042985
Eklind torx set. $10 on amazon and made in USA. Covers T8,10,15,20,25,27,30,40.

Here's another free tip: the most common sizes for deck and construction screws are 20 and 25.

Also Phillips 0 sizes (0, 00, 000 & 0000) suck floppy donkey dick. Micro Torx sizes are worlds better in the precision end.
>>
File: 3-Page-All.jpg (417KB, 1056x1402px) Image search: [Google]
3-Page-All.jpg
417KB, 1056x1402px
>>1042946
fuck you have convinced me
im gonna order all robertson head screws for my robots and CNC machines

oh wait i cant
they dont make real fasteners
with robertson heads

only faggy wood screws

well ,have fun building a deck
im gonna get real screws
for my real machines
>>
>>1043096
Clearly you've never been to Canada.
>>
Phillips is designed so that you can't over-torque the screw. (In theory, anyway.)
>>
>>1043107
gimme a canadian website where i can order robertson head machine screws with multiple thread pitch sizes.
>>
File: hex-cap-screws.jpg (22KB, 404x203px) Image search: [Google]
hex-cap-screws.jpg
22KB, 404x203px
>>1043107
yeah i live in canada faggot
that doesnt mean i blindly suck robertsons dick

but you cant buy robertson screws with real sizes

because they are wood screws

considering we can barely get fucking metric screws here
>>
>>1041225
When I did decking and roofing the boss would buy a 5 pack of torx bits for the 3 of us, they lasted 3-4 weeks usually and only broke when one of the other dumbasses set their driver on top of something and it fell off on to concrete. I was a dumbass for a different reason, I was the only one allowed to run lags and carriage bolts, so I somehow found ways to lose mine frequently.
>>
Check your privilege. We demand inclusion and at least 30 percent of screws used on government funded products must be flat head screws.

Flat lives matter.
>>
>>1043126
Well, if you can use the "hexagon" version pictured, you at least have a better alternative for driving them.
>>
Hi guys, I'm trans phillip. My preferred pronouns are Xe and Xim and Xadfafsfed.
>>
>>1043129
Disgusting.

The Robertson+slotted combos are okay though.
>>
>>1043129
I had a head change operation and now no one will higher me for there project.

Cis white males are such scum.
>>
File: lag_eye_screw_a.jpg (66KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
lag_eye_screw_a.jpg
66KB, 600x600px
>using tools to drive screws
Plebs
>>
>>1043126
Those are all slotted screws. Only one is flat head.
>>
>>1043135
>there projects
>>
>>1043096
>Avsafe
How the fuck do you use that.
>>
>>1043047
>They can also apply the most torque (if you use a driver that actually fits your slot)

No. No they don't. We go over this every damn thread. Flathead have the worst torque-handling characteristics due to the significantly-reduced bearing area between the driver and screw compared to virtually every other screw type. The increased leverage from reaching slightly further away from the center of the screw isn't enough to make up for this fault.

Every screw made for maximum torque is external hex (barring the very rare exterior spline head). Internal hex and torx are more-or-less tied for second.
>>
>>1043139
Enjoy your deck
>>
File: canada12.jpg (134KB, 678x451px) Image search: [Google]
canada12.jpg
134KB, 678x451px
>>1042930
>mfw you strip a screw
Robertson is the Aryan master race of wood screws and upper-mid tier machine screw
>>
>>1042040
>Based Robertson screws and drivers.
Fuck yeah.
>>
>>1043126
I don't mind slotted heads. But literally almost no new tools with fucking slotted screw drivers despite standardized... Fit the whole slot on like every fucking screw.

I have a german made cabinet makers screw driver set from the early 1900s and they are all flat heads. And fit the WHOLE slots both deep, wide, and long... Normally I use them when working with delicate older tools where the slotted heads haven't been touched since installed so they aren't all ugly and chewed up. So I can keep them that way an reuse them. But if their already chewed up. Big ass modern screw driver and vice grips. Because idgaf.
>>
File: said no one ever.png (770KB, 1143x457px) Image search: [Google]
said no one ever.png
770KB, 1143x457px
>>1041017
>>
>>1043556
its better than half the threads up this summer i always look forward to fastener threads
>>
Flat heads are the best for one simple reason:

When I strip/damage a normal bit I can take it to the grinder and turn it into a flathead bit
>>
File: gator.jpg (109KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
gator.jpg
109KB, 700x700px
>>1043139
Why not use a tool for that?
>>
But how can you tell which way is up with these? They're just as bad as hex and allen screws, there's six possible ways to insert the screwdriver, so it can take up to six tries to get it right. These muthafuckers here only take a max of 2 tries.
>>
File: screw.jpg (26KB, 500x494px) Image search: [Google]
screw.jpg
26KB, 500x494px
Forgot pic
>>1043677
>>
>>1042051

My HAAS are both a mix of Hex and Torx
>>
File: image.jpg (17KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 470x470px
>>1043666
Right tool for the job, m8
>>
File: image.jpg (49KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 500x455px
>>1043185
Old slotted drivers are the best! Why no one can figure out how to make a good slotted driver these days boggles my mind. It should be the easiest thing to make.
>>
>>1043677
I am a defender of slotted drive but they're the worst for quickness of seating the driver. It takes a 180 degree turn to get the head back to the starting position. Four point like Phillips or Robertson takes 90 degrees, and hex or torx only 60 degree. In tight spots this really makes a difference.
>>
>>1043158

Doesn't "external" make it a bolt?
>>
>>1043807
It's a bolt if it's used with a nut.
>>
File: Avsafe-Drivers.jpg (164KB, 890x644px) Image search: [Google]
Avsafe-Drivers.jpg
164KB, 890x644px
>>1043151
I had to Google it, but apparently the head is slightly oblong, so you can use this driver.
>>
>>1043800
Because no one uses slotted screws any more. You know, were not in 1936.
>>
>>1043116
I've used plenty of machined metric screws with robertson heads. What part of Canada are you from, Toronto?
>>
>>1043169
Nails are for framing, not screws
>>
>>1043909

Most electricians (non construction) and electronics people (in field work), the people who use screw drivers more than just about anyone, tend to carry a slotted screw driver at all times even when they don't have any tools with them.

A quality 2.5mm to 3.5mm flat blade and your 6-8 inch pliers of choice will get you through most of your day. As long as your not a mongoloid and try to put 70ft/lbs on an slightly oversized hex/torx you won't need to get the correct fastener most of the time.

Yeah its not the 'correct german way', but unless your a little dim or refuse to get the proper one the few times you need something else you wont ever damage any fasteners.
>>
>>1043953

No really, what is the deal with these threads. Who are these people who fuck up so many fasteners they actually need to worry about this.
>>
>>1043950
ew no
but i doubt it, and maybe if it was some panzy electrical screw but those arent really real screws

>>1043954
>Who are these people who fuck up so many fasteners

fucking ham fists
>>
File: putinbanteronturks.jpg (20KB, 541x395px) Image search: [Google]
putinbanteronturks.jpg
20KB, 541x395px
>>1043950
>What part of Canada are you from, Toronto?
Toronto is not Canada.
>>
>>1044072
Same people that don't know when to stop pulling the trigger on a drill so they drive Phillips screws an inch deep into the wood while stripping the head and destroying the bit in the process.
>>
>>1043176
I honestly prefer phillips because it's fairly insensitive to deformations and manufacturing quality, while not being quite so unsafe as slotted

a robertson, you can fuck up the screw or driver only a little bit and thats it, its over.

the only less robust thing is hex

>hex key and slot are like 0.5mm apart
>YOURE FUCKED NOW MAN, EVERYTHING IS GONNA STRIP IF YOU EVEN TOUCH IT

>>1043129
now THIS is master race
>>
File: Newbolt_index[1].jpg (61KB, 659x999px) Image search: [Google]
Newbolt_index[1].jpg
61KB, 659x999px
>>
>>1041017
>not using the Robertson square heads superior to all other design of screws

Fuck phillips
>>
>>1042040
>Phillips and flat blade screws should be illegal
those are my sentiments exactly
>>
>>1044627
No. Ham-fisted mouth breathers like you should be illegal.
>>
File: 235235.jpg (149KB, 2830x1868px) Image search: [Google]
235235.jpg
149KB, 2830x1868px
property maintenance guy here

iono wtf is philips screw

theres just flat, cross and then torx

those fit all

oh and then that fuging six cornered asshole thing
>>
File: IMG_20160729_121859.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160729_121859.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
Does anyone know what this bullshit it called or how to get it open?
>>
>>1044769
If you're for real, then kill yourself.
>>
>>1044780
I know. But I'm not telling vandals like you.
>>
>>1041187

Imperial > metric.
>>
>2016
>flat still exists
>what could we make that is even worse?
>and thus torx was born
>>
>>1042051

Fuck size 8 torx for inserts on shell mills

That is all
>>
>>1044855
8 for shell mill inserts? That shit is pretty tiny. Ours are T15 or T20 for the most part. Tiny stuff like T8 we just use for boring inserts.

Also, all ours are actually Torx Plus, which I'm told is quite a bit of an improvement.
>>
>>1044481
toppest of keks
>>
>>1044409 here
>>hex key and slot are like 0.5mm apart
>>YOURE FUCKED NOW MAN, EVERYTHING IS GONNA STRIP IF YOU EVEN TOUCH IT

worked on a salvaged bike last night and stripped one of my hex keys AND the nut in one eigth-turn on a rusted bolt lmao

nuts and bolts are the only good robust fastener
>>
>>1044780
It's a security screw and is made like that so you need a special driver for it that only the company that made the screw sells.

It looks like plastic around it; just smash it off.

>4160x3120 image
resize and compress your photos you fucking shoplifting cunt

>>1044481
>for holes drilled too big, then drilled right size
this is literally how bicycle wheels work, it's fucking insane and stupid and is about the least secure way to do anything ever

>threadless bolt holes
locking pins should be more widespread imo
>>
File: 08.14.14-carbon-main2.jpg (106KB, 517x201px) Image search: [Google]
08.14.14-carbon-main2.jpg
106KB, 517x201px
>>1044853
its not

the cap heads are smaller than their metric equal, making for smaller contact area

the threads are always courser than their metric equal, making the root diameter of the screw smaller than its metric equal

they use the same pitch for 4 threads all with close diameters making it easy to get wrong and strip

too many allen keys for the amount of bolt sizes

they use number sizes and then go to fractional sizes (ie 4-40, 6-32 ect .013" x number = diameter is fucking retarded

they use a smaller allen key then their metric equal

using 1 size to small allen key will fit and strip it out, where its metric equal will rotate but not strip, because in metric the ciricumscribed hex of the smaller size is smaller than counterscribed hex diameter

their bolt grading identification system is fucking stupid
no markings = grade 2
3 lines = grade 5
6 lines = grade 8

the fact that you people are stripping so many hex heads means you dont know what your doing

if a bolt feels like its going to strip, that means stop and try somethibng else.

like penetrating fluid , thermal expansion and retraction using heat, or turning the screw clockwise to break the seal before undoing it.

or it means you are using the wrong size wrench/hex key

or maybe you guys are fucking retards and casuals

i use hex head bolts every single day in varying degrees of conditions and i never have a problem

here /diy/, a little tip. in almost every case, you can tell by looking at the cap of the screw to see if its metric or imperial, so next time you wont strip it because your are ill informed. anything with numbers on the cap, or a cap much bigger than the allen key, is metric
a cap with no numbers or a small head relative to the allen key is imperial
this applies to carbon steel bolt
>>
File: SocketHeadSizingChartMetric.png (78KB, 839x456px) Image search: [Google]
SocketHeadSizingChartMetric.png
78KB, 839x456px
>>1044853
all that other shit aside, it wouldnt matter
because the war is over, and imperial lost.
"domestic" auto makers dont even really use imperial anymore

the only things that are imperial anymore are VGA/db connectors and legacy shit.
the only people who use imperial bolts are casuals buying bolts from home depot

best part is that it didnt lose because its an inferior system (it is inferior to metric) it lost because the USA could not maintain its relevancy in a world where 95% of the world uses metric. once america stopped making things it became obsolete. China made its choice, and its choice was metric. since china makes all your goods, that was the final nail

now we just need to wait for the stubborn old faggots to die so we can have a metric world
>>
>>1044409
Buy good bits, learn to drill straight.
>>
>>1045304
>implying Imperial didn't originate in Europe to begin with.
>>
>>1041017
it is a Star of David
>>
>>1045304
To expand upon >>1045309, the reason the USA didn't switch to Metric as quickly as the rest of the industrialized world is simple. After WWII the only industrialized nation with any significant infrastructure left was the USA. The had factories, machinery, inventory, etc. Everyone else was a smoking pile. When they rebuilt they decided to move to metric, if that hadn't already before the war. Is metric more logical? Sure. Have they been constantly making changes to it over the years because they keep finding things they fucked up the first (or even second of third) time? Also yes.

>it lost because the USA could not maintain its relevancy in a world where 95% of the world uses metric.

Bullshit. Metric was in long before the USA stopped being a powerhouse in manufacturing. The USA was far and away the leading country in terms of manufacturing well into the 1980s. Our peak output years were in the late 70s. Let's go back further than. Let's say 1965. That's the year the UK really got serious about metrication and was 20 years after the end of WWII. Who has switched since in the developed world? Ireland, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. All commonwealth countries. Anyone else important? No. Pakistan, Malaysia, South Africa, Jamaica, etc.
>>
>>1045320
> Metric didn't change the sistem ever. They only modify the Patterns that they use to define each unit.
They first change the platinum-iriduim bar for define the meter, and now the Kilogram.
That's it

Metric was long before WWI, germans use it in both wars. Russians also.
The only one that change after de WWII was Great Britain
>>
File: special bolts.jpg (63KB, 515x700px) Image search: [Google]
special bolts.jpg
63KB, 515x700px
>>1045309
i didnt imply shit. there is only one industrialized nation that is holding out, and thats usa. i dont give a shit who invented it

>>1045320
>canada
not fully metric
>Pakistan
only about 200 million people and a large source of cheap manufacturing
but lets not forget
>india
>vietnam
also large sources of cheap labor, all post ww2 metrication, all neighboring china , which makes it impractical to be anything other than metric

>bullshit
youre right, it lost because its awful and impractical.
but the only hold out nation keeping it alive is america. if regan let them switch over in the 80's instead of blueballing the metric system it could be a fucking antique by now

almost nothing new uses imperial bolts as its global standard. if silicon valley want in america we could have DB25 connectors with M3 screws instead of 4-40

my japanese DB25 serial connectors (made in ohio) are made metric and use m3 screws

point is,
imperial get out
metric life
hex love
>>
>>1042922
>wascist
Tell that to Apple [LOL]
And every MTB disc brake manufacturer
>>
>>1045538
Also, torx would be preferred to Robertson for machine screws, allow more torque than metric flathead @ same size.
Metric [ZOMG, science is SO patriarchal] and torx way too white for most minorities and wimmens [except Mexicans...
like Americans, they haz a clue]]
>>
>>1043145
>didn't spot hire.
>didn't notice they're acting like a complete idiot.
>>
>>1044780
Posted at least twice here already.
>>
>see this thread
>see all this heresy and all these machines made to cause pain, angst and suferring
I'm really afraid now. Thanks /diy/
>>
>>1041017
Oh fuck another screw thread.

Older screw heads stay in production because not every tradesmen and DIY enthusiasts is going to bin perfectly good tools because something new comes alone.

Screws aren't iphones.
>>
>try to fix bike
>just adjusting the brakes
>hex gets damaged
>have to buy a whole set to get that one size
Just why god
>>
>>1046880
>>hex gets damaged
You mean you couldn't cut off the damaged section?
>>
>>1046880
>Just why god

because you wernt using the right size wrench

hex heads dont damage for no reason, you people are animals and you use the wrong tools or over tighten, or dont use proper methods to loosen them
>>
>>1043556
What is the sauce on that?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.