[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ I'm trying to sound proof my apartment, I would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: images.duckduckgo.com(46).jpg (9KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(46).jpg
9KB, 300x200px
Hey /diy/ I'm trying to sound proof my apartment, I would like it to be cheap but not too cheap, I was thinking if covering the walls with lots of acoustic panels, that would probably run me around $500~ is there a better way or cheaper to soundproof?
>>
>>1040418
sound proof from what?
>>
>>1040428
Sound proof from noise from getting in and my noise from getting out since I like to sometimes have my music on loud.
>>
>>1040432
Then it is a matter of sealing the windows and doors, and then carpets on the walls
>>
>>1040418
the foam panels don't block sound getting in/out they stop sound from echoing off your walls
sound is air, dampen it by adding dense shit between sound sources and you/your walls

a cheap solution would be buying second hand bookcases from craiglist/op shops and lining your walls with them and then >>1040437
>>
Just use a ball gag and roofies
>>
Not this thread again.
>>
>>1040428
The police and random passers by
>>
>>1040418
rockwool and 3 by 4s.

ib4 room in a room
>>
How would I go about soundproofing the door and all other doors in the apartment to prevent echoing?
>>
>>1040418
Keep in mind that soundproofing is not eual to sound absorbtion
>>
>>1040432
Use headphones, I'm serious, it will be a whole lot cheaper and easier than trying sound proof a room, $500 will get you an amazing pair of headphones.

If you buy Beats then you should kill yourself.
>>
>>1040481
>the foam panels don't block sound getting in/out they stop sound from echoing off your walls

THIS
THIS
THIS

if you wanted to not be heard, you should not have rented an apartment.

turn it down, ditch the sub, save up for a house.
>>
>>1040418
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pABvTWSxOes
Have fun!
>>
>>1044031

Seriously man, do you want to stop sound from going to the next room ? Then you would have to cover all the wall with these panels. Do you want to treat the room's acoustics ? Then do your tests with the mic and the speaker on the same side of the panel. You want your tests to look somewhat reliable ? make all the samples of materials the exact same size.

Anyway the towels might actually be a very good idea, I'm gonna think about it. Just need to find something else to cover it, just imagine the dust and acari that thing will host after a year...
>>
>>1044069
Oh yeah, mould too. Maybe a thin plastic sheet would be a good idea to make it look better, you could try and seal it with silicone too to keep out the nasties of a humid climate.

And covering the walls with these panels is actually not a cost ineffective option with these at a couple of dollars a panel.
>>
ear phones and then cover with plain ear muffs from Home Depot
>>
Does anyone know the name of the kind of acoustic paneling that's made of like, piled string covered in some sort of stiffener/glue?
I associate them with high school, on the walls of the band room.
I'd post a picture but haven't been able to find anything like what I'm talking about.
Though I'm sure it's common and cheap because it was in all the public schools I went to - I just need to know what to call it.
>>
>>1044073
yeah but a sheet of plastic will reverb the high pitched noises and you lose the dampening effect on high frequencies... dunno if i'm clear
>>
>>1044112
They call them "wood wool" panels. Lots of companies make them, they're breddy cheep relatively speaking, and unlike the usual "soft" porous materials wood wool panels have a compromise performance between absorption AND sound isolation, and not just absorption.

so yeah, those panels will help block sound transmission and will also help with absorption. it excels at neither and isn't really good for "fine tuning" but it gets the jerb done. you need a lot to get the best/most noticeable performance - like 50% of the room surfaces should have it. and since you don't usually put it on the floor, ceiling, or windows, it amounts to a lot.
>>
>>1044394
Awesome, thank you.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.