[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup /diy/ Anyone made HDPE parts yet? Looking for better ways

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: HDPE.jpg (39KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
HDPE.jpg
39KB, 736x414px
sup /diy/

Anyone made HDPE parts yet? Looking for better ways to crush and melt large quantities
>>
apply more pressure than you are currently using to crush.

apply more heat than you are currently using to melt.
>>
>>1040216

So it's like Compression Moulding you're interested in?

https://preciousplastic.com/en/videos/build/compression/

I've done some small scale Injection Moulding of PP, but never anything like your pic - mainly because shredding large amounts of plastic without a Shredder is somewhat tedious.
>>
>>1040216
You incidentally need a shredder, or spend time making it as small as possible by hand when you cut it up.

I find that you need to only use a little bit of plastic at a time. Heat that up, press, add more, repeat. Keep it hot at all times. Otherwise, it takes fucking forever to heat up.

I use a toaster oven. You should make a small press using a bottle jack, google designs for DIY apple cider presses and scale it down.
>>
>>1040399
>incidentally

....thanks autocorrect
>>
>>1040399

thanks for the tip

My Blender is taking a hard beating with those HDPE cases, maybe i need a v8 one.

Maybe i can make proper sheets with a jack like this modified.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHK52KIARKE

this looks like a good size to go for imo
>>
>>1040583
Blenders are terrible for shredding plastic. You need a dedicated shredder like in >>1040587
>>
>>1040599
I've used a brush/branch shredder on HDPE. Doesn't work well, pieces are way too big

>>1040587
I've always wanted to build a shredder like that. I did some work for a data destruction company and I got to play with their HDD shredder. Slick as fuck.
>>
>>1040637
do you make sheets? or blocks for on a lathe or somethin
>>
What's the application for this kind of thing?
>>
>>1040982
Injection molding. I make some random sizes of stock too turning and making parts.
>>
>>1041060
You can make your own plastic parts. I saw people making mallets, pulleys, slingshots, and other things. I was planning on melting some hdpe down to makes a small handle to put on the part of my computer that slides and opens up, and handles for small tools I made myself. I have been saving up some hdpe trash for this.
>>
>>1041060
S&M spanking paddles made from HDPE and UHMWPE have some really interesting impact-profiles

I have a big-ish container of little plastic chunks I intend to convert into a couple of 1"x4" cast plates just for that.
>>
>>1040587

>how close his hands get to the blades

fuck man.
>>
Has anyone tried stockpiling it, shredding it dirty then washing the shreds? Hdpe projects seem fun but I don't relish the idea of washing a bunch of dirty milk jugs by hand.
>>
>>1043137
That's my plan have three apple boxes stuffed with the stuff. All different colors.
>>
Anyone have any luck with LDPE?
>>
File: 20150313_010434.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20150313_010434.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1043549
I've had some luck with both. What do you want to know?
>>
File: injectionmolding.jpg (72KB, 600x253px) Image search: [Google]
injectionmolding.jpg
72KB, 600x253px
>>1040216
absolutely, do injection molding. It's that easy!
>>
>>1040216
Buy a big block of HDPE. Machine it to the shape you want. Done.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.