[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Worst accident you've suffered? I'm still fairly new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 45

File: hc0qVrf.jpg (106KB, 1136x1136px) Image search: [Google]
hc0qVrf.jpg
106KB, 1136x1136px
Worst accident you've suffered?
I'm still fairly new to this DIY shit so my worst is burning my hand on a soldering iron
>>
Cutting parallel bars on a mill at school, decided to brush away some chips but the mill grabbed the chip brush and mangled it.
>>
>>1039848
In metal shop at school, we had a row of big lathes to work on, teacher gave us a safety talk and demo, fucknut on the lathe next to me started his lathe up with the chuck key still in the chuck, it flew past my head so close I felt the breeze and embedded itself into a concrete ceiling, teacher called him a dimwit amongst other things and I gave him a good pummelling after class for nearly killing me.

Spinney things are fucking dangerous and scary when shit goes wrong.
>>
>>1039848
Was using a brad nailer on a small project. The nail took a 45 degree turn, came out of the wood and into my hand down to the bone. Hurt like a bitch when I pulled it out.
>>
I smacked myself with a hatchet, decided to cut up some junk wood i had leftover from a garden project and hit a nail i didn't see embeded in the board which deflected the hatchet into my left hand. Luckily i didn't cut a tendon but I learned to not work while im tired as that accident was due to lack of focus and exertion.
>>
Taking limbs off of a cedar log I had cut. By myself inna woods, put all my might into chopping one of the bigger ones with a very sharp fiskars brush axe. Went straight through, couldnt stop it and barely turned the edge around before it bashed into my shin. With how far I was from anyone and not having any cell service it was a fucking scary idea.
>>
>>1039965
Newer work innawods alone
>>
Probably when I fell off a ladder while I was staining my deck and injured my back. I was prescribed dilaudid to ease the pain and almost became an opioid addict.
>>
working with a table saw a peice of wood jumped and i smacked my index finger on the blade and split my first digit bone .
>>
>>1039848
I had this crazy shop teacher in 8th grade who used to sit there for 45 minutes and tell stories about doing welding work with a bunch of guys and some of them never wore goggles. He'd then talk about the metal splinters they'd get in their eyes and how some guys pissed their pants and other guys would shit themselves every time this happened. I think they used some kind of magnet to take the thing out at the ER.
>>
File: handbijl-klein.jpg (12KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
handbijl-klein.jpg
12KB, 400x300px
>>1039848
I chopped myself in my ankle with this thing.
I dont know what its called so i cant google it, i used my photoshop skills to show you what it looks like.

you use it when you are cutting down trees, you chop that thing in a log so you dont have to bent over to pick it up.
missed the log and slammed it right through my ankle joint.
shit was not cash.
>>
>>1040037
It doesnt hurt that much though.
it does hurt, but not shitting pants much.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (597KB, 1524x750px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
597KB, 1524x750px
Carving wood bowls with this and gave myself a mangina. Never dared to use it again.
>>
>>1040051
oh god fucking christ
that looks like it hurts so much
>>
>>1040047
Pickaroon
>>
File: pickaroon.jpg (84KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
pickaroon.jpg
84KB, 720x540px
>>1040059
thanks man!
been looking for that name for a while.
So yeah, i did this >>1040047
with picacoon related(huehue)
>>
File: 100MEDIA36IMAG0496.jpg (214KB, 2048x1225px) Image search: [Google]
100MEDIA36IMAG0496.jpg
214KB, 2048x1225px
>>1039848
caught my hand in a chop saw at work, it was partially my fault for being unaware of my surroundings and partially my bosses for having a stupid setup. took about 8 months and some physical therapy but I have all my digits and everything works well enough. I lost a tiny bit of nerve so i have numb spots
>>
I was 12 and had carved a wooden spatula outta some maple.

Tossed the knife like people in animes do but when i caught it i slit the side of my ring finger and it curled up.

2 stitches
>>
I was using a hammer and cats claw to pull nails out of a sub-floor. the nail head popped off one and flew right into my forehead. blood ran into my eyes instantly. a few years ago I got some xrays and the doctor saw it still in my forehead. wwwwwhat
>>
File: 4191361586024208702.jpg (369KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
4191361586024208702.jpg
369KB, 1080x1920px
>>1040209
this is what it looks like today all healed up, about 4 years later
>>
>>1039848
Told to make some shitty keyrings in metalwork class, I decided to make a basic lightening bolt (like Harry P's scar but about 4 inch long) but it was pretty naff so I shasrpened the end to an almost needle like point.

Some fucker decided it was a lot better than his keyring so instead of nicking it he hit it with a hammer a few times and bent it all out of shape, while I was hammering it flat it flew up out of the vice and impaled my left cheek about half an inch under my cheekbone and ripped my face open.

I never did find out who fucked it up.
>>
>>1040219
doc did a nice job fixing that up
>>
I was once shocked by a fully charged microwave transformer, it was the least pleasant thing I have ever done
>>
>>1040219
Surgeons are fucking amazing man imagine this injury like 100 years ago...
>>
>>1040051
Holy Christ how deep is that?
>>
File: in 1997.jpg (20KB, 236x328px) Image search: [Google]
in 1997.jpg
20KB, 236x328px
In 1997
Steve was chopping wood
He missed a spot, and chopped off his dick
In 1997
>>
this thread makes me feel warm and cosy inside knowing I work an office job
>>
>>1040452
I think I'd kill myself if I had an office job.
>>
>>1040293
what tune should i be singing this to?
>>
>>1040470
This
http://dagobah.net/flash/1997.swf
>>
at 19, was working at a natural gas plant as an electrician's lackey. Had "procured" a small stockpile of chemicals in trunk of car. Was working on car one day and was digging through trunk looking for something. Head down in trunk, accidentally sat something on top of a spray can of industrial-strength paint stripper. It was aimed directly at my eye and about 6 inches away. Took a direct 2-second shot before I could get out of there. Couldn't see for a day in that eye, was afraid I had destroyed the outer layer. Luckily went back to normal, no damage, but had a red circle around that eye for a week.
>>
taking the engine out of a motorcycle, the engine slipped and a nice sharp little corner crushed my ring finger between it and the frame.

I could feel my heart beat in my finger, and each time it did beat it hurt like a motherfuck. The nail turned black and split a the day after. three or so months in and it's still healing.

Aside from pretty deep gashes on my hands and arms(super glue is your friend) I'd say this is the worst injury in terms of pain I've ever gotten working on something.
>>
I work as a pipe fitter fitting gas and water lines. when we drag pipes into the trenches we use a chain on tracked dumper. there was a old pipe in the ground going horizontally across the trench that the pipes needed to go into so i started to push the pipes under then my thumb slipped between the pipe being dragged and the old one the dumper driver carried on going and my thumb was getting more and more crushed between the pipes. luckily he heard me shouting in time otherwise I'd of lost my thumb it was badly crushed and I have no feeling in the tip of my thumb.
>>
>>1039848
Some asshole used a ferrous grinding stone for some aluminum in my shop and it exploded while I was using it shortly after. Had to dig a few pea sized pieces of rock out of my stomach. I'm retarded lucky I only got hit by the ricochets.
>>
>>1039859
That was like a weekly occurrence in my school.
The wall of the classroom was full of giant holes from it.
There were some awfully retarded chaps in that school.

I was wiring some speakers in my parents' house before and was putting a large speaker up on a shelf near the ceiling.
I was standing on a chair and putting it over my head.
I stupidly didn't clear off the shelf first (it had framed pictures and shit on it).
There was a long glass candleholder on it and it fell over on the shelf and broke the head off it, then the long stem of it fell off the shelf and went straight through my jeans and about 2 inches into my thigh.
Had to get a few stiches. Lucky it missed my femoral artery though
>>
I chopped myself in the leg with a hatchet while notching logs for a log cabin (to use as a blacksmith shed) as a teenager.

It was really stupid, and I mean REALLY stupid. I was:
- using a small camp hatchet, though I had both a chainsaw and an axe (I wanted to do it with hand tools for the experience of it, and the axe was a cheap modern thing, very poorly suited for any purpose but splitting)
- kneeling and sitting back on my heels with my knees right up to the notch
- using a loose grip and letting the hatchet twist in my hand because it took a neat chip out each time
- using my left hand when my right hand got tired

It bounced out of my hand and into my thigh. Fortunately, I just got poked with a corner in the meaty part just above the knee. Half an inch deep, and about an inch long. Cut a small artery, so it bled lots, but no tendon or anything. Needed a few stitches.
>>
>>1040051
What a weapon! Can you still buy them I wonder?
>>
I somehow managed to give myself nerve damage on my fingertip while spray painting.

Congrats me
>>
>>1040262
Holy hell.
>>
>>1039848
sliced joint on thumb and end of index finger while carving wands. slightly raised scar on thumb, no scar on index finger from holding it together for 10 hours and applying blood plasma in the lack of stitches/hospitals

i was surprised it worked.
>>
I was using contact cleaner (deoxit) on an old integrated amp I was fixing, it was a right cunt with like 10 control pots under a large front face plate that had like 3 pages in the schematic just to disassemble,
I said fuck that noise and just poked the precision nozzle down there and started cleaning them out, got to around the 5th control pot and the cap/button on the deoxit cracked down the front and the spray all shot right down and bounced back up in a thick high pressure mist right under my safety glasses and into my right eye.
I got a pretty good shot in the half a second it had to get me, I rinsed my eye for like 30 mins straight under the tub faucet and used some eyewash stuff I had, luckily it was fine, but if I had been in a shop environment instead of at home where I was rinsing it in under 5 seconds I bet my eye would have been fucked, I only go full goggle or glasses and face shield with that shit now, normally outside with a strong fan blowing the fumes away, that shits no good for you.
>>
File: 199-3_750.jpg (90KB, 583x1000px) Image search: [Google]
199-3_750.jpg
90KB, 583x1000px
I was once trying to sand a very odd spot on a piece i was building back in hs robotics, ended up getting my thumb trapped between the piece and belt sander, the belt sander was still running and i couldnt pull my thumb out immediatly, so i basicly had to reach around and turn the machine off, ended up sanding the entire nail off plus some skin
>>
>>1040532
>Lucky it missed my femoral artery though

Very lucky my indeed, that shit will kill you in under a minute if you hit it bad!

BTW there's a Gif that pops up on gore/rekt threads on /b/ every now and then, it's a skier who crashes into a fence and catches one of his legs in the fence, he manages to split his crotch open and bleeds out in seconds as his femoral artery pumps blood all over the snow, it's pretty fucking grim.
>>
>>1040452
I've worked office jobs, they suck mightily, the back stabbing, the gossip, having to work with wenches who whine like fucking children at the least little thing, never having anything physical to show for a days work, it might not endanger your body much but that shit will erode your soul like nothing else, by comparison manual work is a fucking paradise, also my buddy is a plumber and he was making twice as much as I was and I was an office manager at one point!

Fuck offices and office workers they're all cunts.
>>
>>1040476
got a YouTube link to it, I'm not clicking on any fucking unknown links on this site bro.
>>
>>1040725
I had to take some pretty fucking great pain killers for a trapped nerve in my shoulder, it was none stop pain 24/7 for about a month (I now know why people with chronic pain opt for suicide) and for some odd reason I lost sensation because of the pain killers in my toes, it took almost eight months for the feeling to return after I stopped using them, also if you get given opiate based painkillers also ask for laxatives too, those pills bind you up inside and stop you shitting, it's not nice when you come off them!!
>>
File: thumb_IMG_20160818_235924405_HDR.jpg (138KB, 800x1165px) Image search: [Google]
thumb_IMG_20160818_235924405_HDR.jpg
138KB, 800x1165px
Just a few days ago, drilled through my thumb. In the pic you can see where it went in on the right, just poked out that little scab on the left.
It wasn't a drill bit, but a philips-head driver, was trying to force a self-tapper in and forgot to change the direction of the drill so as soon as I pulled the trigger instead of the screw biting and starting to go in, it just spun, the driver came out of the head of the screw and with the force I had on it went through my thumb
>>
>>1040901
Its from dagobah. Its a trusted swf site man.

I just checked and its safe.
>>
>>1039848
Super glue in the eye
>>
File: GWS_14-125.jpg (39KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
GWS_14-125.jpg
39KB, 800x531px
2 few weeks back, was cutting some plank road with an angle grinder (with a saw blade on and the blade cover removed) out of stupidity cut my own right thumb, dropped the grinder due to the sudden pain, grinder went berserk on the ground kinda like a motorcycle losing control and almost saw my toes off

Here's another one, was removing glass panel from windows, my brother decided to bump it a bit, it didnt like that, exploded, one the shard size of a butcher knife scratched my abdomen around 25mm (1 in) and 3mm wide, so deep you can see the fat layer, didnt go to a doc so it's a scar now took like 4 months to completely heal.
>>
>>1040467
Seconded
>>
>>1040998
thirded
>>
>>1040452
Sorry about you probably being dead inside and spending your days among bickering secretaries.
>>
>>1039859
>have idiot partner in shop class
>twice during the year, he starts the lathe with the key still in the chuck
>smashes my hand both times, luckily no broken bones
>lifting huge 50-60 kilo metal disc with me
>lets go due to sweaty hands, doesn't give me fair warning
>thank God for steel tipped boots
>burns straight through his own jumpsuit and flesh with an acetylen burner
>forgot which way he pointed it, and didn't feel the pain at first
>tons more
It's a miracle we both survived shop class without permanent injury.
>>
>>1040452
This thread makes me feel pretty good in how I've done all sorts of projects and never made a stupid or life threatening mistake because I'm not retarded.
>>
I have two stories. first one is not so bad, but it hurt like a bitch. I was using the wet belt sander to sand chamfers on a piece of 1/4" Plexiglas. I wasn't paying attention, and I sanded off my fingernail to the cuticle.

The other time is small carving chisel. I was maybe 14, and I was holding the piece that I was carving, without a glove. I hit a knot and when I pushed through it I kept going. I ended up striking the bone on my index finger. My grandmother was a champ though. she just doused it in iodine and made a bandaid out of tape and toilet paper. I learned a lesson that day: 1) don't hold the fucking carving, or at least keep your fingers BEHIND the cutting blade (aka not in the direction you are cutting), and 2) iodine does not hurt nowhere as near as much as alcohol.
>>
>>1040967
First off ow and second off how?

>no rhyming intended
>>
File: grinding-wheel.jpg (19KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
grinding-wheel.jpg
19KB, 300x199px
getting my finger caught in one of these.
boy they hurt
>>
>>1039848
Collapsed lung after getting a chuck key shot between my ribs. Technically it wasn't my doing, since I just happened to be standing where it got flung, but I was in the machine shop working on a project of my own, so I'd consider it a /diy/ accident.
>>
>>1041111
R u a wrapper?
Also, nice digits Mr wrapper
>>
I have a few oil field injuries.

First was tossing scrap I beam cuttings with cheap free cotton gloves. The cut sides had razor sharp edges and one cut my hand open. Super glued it shut but the blood was enough to make my boss freak out.

Second was with a screw driver trying to get a hose clamp tight. The hose and my hand still had lube on it from forcing the male end into the hose. the driver slipped into my palm and again super glue fixed it up.

Third and most painful was using the air hoist to flip some bells which are basically huge cast iron counter weights. Tried maneuvering them and they slipped down onto my ring finger. It split from the weight crushing it. At first I was fine until I realized the fatty pad tissue was if the finger was hanging out and smeared on the concrete.

The most dangerous involved using hydrocliric acid. The office lady had me go clean the new office and gave me the stuff not knowing what it was. I put it all over the metal thinking it was normal cleaning material without reading the bottle. My lungs burned for 2 weeks straight. It didn't hurt as bad as the split finger but was by far the more dangerous. I was lucky I got out before falling out from the fumes.
>>
>>1040887
Jesus
>>
>>1040894
not the guy you responded to but im guessing its this video?
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9ef_1423411935
>warning, not very graphic but still, graphic
>>
I don't have much to contribute, but just wanted to say I'm glad y'all make these threads, I'm almost certain I'd be pretty badly hurt without the resulting paranoia.

In a different sort of theme, never underestimate the damage hot oil or steam can do, shit hurts like fuck for weeks and skin grafts are no joke.
>>
condom broke. still paying alimony.
>>
>>1041289
>http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9ef_1423411935
Yep that's the one, I've seen a longer version with more blood loss shown.
>>
File: not my cat.jpg (78KB, 960x922px) Image search: [Google]
not my cat.jpg
78KB, 960x922px
>>1041381
Wouldn't have happened if you had stuck to DIY!
>>
>>1040887
>>1040887
>3 m m g a p m a x i m u m
>>
File: mfw10.jpg (33KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
mfw10.jpg
33KB, 960x540px
>>1041289
>http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9ef_1423411935
>the way his legs are just flopping around
jesus fucking christ
>>
5 broken vertebras. I fell off a ladder.
>>
The most painful injury I ever had was stabbing myself in the tip of my index finger with a phillips bit.

I was leaning hard on a hand drill trying to drive a very long screw and it slipped off the head.

It didn't seem bad at first because it was such a small wound, only the diameter of the bit. By the time I made it to the medicine cabinet I was feeling woozy, and then fainted. I came to about 30 seconds later with my boss holding my legs up and a coworker fanning me. the pain in my finger was fucking insane.The pain went away after an hour or so.

I guess it figures since finger tips have so many nerve ending.

One time I also took 2 inches of course thread screw into the arch of my foot, which had to be slowly unscrewed out.
>>
>>1040522
why did that happen because of it being aluminum?
>>
>>1040209
>>1040219
Modern medicine holy shit
>>
File: how_to_solder.jpg (115KB, 620x1004px) Image search: [Google]
how_to_solder.jpg
115KB, 620x1004px
>>1039848
>pic related

Worst I did was dropping a newly opened $150 bucket of paint from the ladder when painting the house. Bushes are still blue, years later.
>>
>>1040051
cool, I'd like one of those. (the tool, not the mangina, I'm not gay).
Do they still sell them?
>>
>>1041555
If we're talking "worst accident" as in not an injury;
then mine is I spent 2-3 days building a 7ft long double wide staircase, and then at near completion found out it was the wrong size. The plans my boss gave me listed the final height as 87 inches, but a tiny droplet of weld hit the paper right on the 7 and made it look like 81. The size difference was un-fixable, so I had to spend a day dissembling the entire thing and building another one.

I never felt so much shame as when I went to install it and saw it was all wrong, and boss looked at me like I was the biggest idiot. But when he double checked the plans and noticed the number got burned he was very cool about it.
>>
>>1040452
This post makes me feel warm and cosy inside knowing I'm a NEET.
>>
>>1041560

what kind of dip shit takes 3 days to build a stair case?
>>
Not a DIY accident really.
With a walkman on and phones in I sprained a hand first (felt backwards like a toy soldier on the straight hand from boardslide, took a few months to heal). That one failed to teach me anything, so next I broke my nose. Had a snowskate escape from my feets rights into my precious sniffer after ollie. It was winter.
>>
>>1041557
>>1040717

They are still sold under that name, HF has a knock off one for 30.
>>
Not really a DIY injury, but I was cutting a worn end off a sample hose. Hose was about 4" ID with a thick gauge wire (3mm) spiralling through it. Said wire entered my right thumb and jammed into the joint. Surprisingly didn't hurt too bad but still to this day that joint is locked up and 'clicks' when I bend it.

I think compared to some of you fucks I've had it pretty good
>>
>>1041278
I used that stuff in a semi enclosed area, I knew better but thought it would be OK as it was a 2 min job cleaning corrosion off a water fitting. Had an awesome cough for ages.

Also used hydroFLAURIC acid for cleaning alliminium in my powder coating days. Never used gloves. Trying not to think of long term side effects
>>
>>1040051
Jesus christ dude, that's gnarly. That tool looks dangerous as hell so I guess it's no surprise you got hurt. Could've been a lot worse though.
>>
>>1039848
Chainsaw to leg.
>>
>>1040467
I have one and I might
>>
>>1041718
story?
>>
Went to welding class high and forgot the metal was hot and burnt my hand. Not to bad did have a few blisters tho
>>
>>1041682
Hydrofluoric? Its a bitch of you get it on your skin and deadly if its to much, there aren't any long term side effect by it though. If you have no damage now you won't get any.
>>
>>1041763
he posted that right as it happened, he'll finish when he comes to in the hospital
>>
>>1041399
lol
>>
>>1040452

Until you realize mental disorders caused by office work are way more scary than losing a finger.

Source: the office / i work a office job
>>
>>1039859
At uni, the workshop staff have welded springs onto the chuck keys so they can't sit in the chuck.
>>
>>1039859
At the engine shop where I used to work, if you did this you were sent home for the day
>>
>>1041576
Seeing as how this is diy: kill yourself.
>>
>>1041768
I heard it goes right thru skin and dissolves bone. Once it starts it sets off a chain reaction till you have no bones and are all skin and organ.

Bad way to go. Farewell anon
>>
File: 1.jpg (68KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
68KB, 600x450px
Worst accident?

I took down a concrete board/concrete fibre ceiling and walls, smashed them up into tiny pieces, basically dust. Breathed it in for days and choked a lot. Threw it all in the skip.

Find out a week later it was asbestos and not concrete.

Probably gonna die.
>>
>>1043081
It'll eat bone in the immediate area, but not your whole body, unless of course you get your whole body exposed to it.

The real danger is that it pulls the calcium from your blood and causes you to have a heart attack. Just a drop or two on your skin and you'll die without immediate medical attention.
>>
>>1039848
Was working on a steel milling machine. Accidentally turned the spindle on while I was tightening the spanner. It ripped the spanner out of my hands and through a glass pane.

If it went the other way it would have broken my arm.
>>
>>1043100
sue like crazy
live like a king your last few months
>>
>>1040467
this.
worked mowing n shit a few weeks back, loved working with machinery but the heat was too much for me as i am a more heavy set guy
>>
>>1040497

Next time take the smallest sharpest drill bit you got and in your fingers (not a tool) just twirl the bit back and forth till you're through the nail, this will let that old blood bleed out. So much instant relief. Like seriously the relief is better than having sex for the first time in three months.

And then get some leeches, serious to god leeches will fix that shit up 90x faster than waiting. I don't care if you think its gross, just do it fagot. They promote blood flow and reduce selling at the same dam time. They are like fucking magic. When you got the throbbing pulse on your finger and you put the leech and the pain and pulse stop a minute later and then it feels just like normal maybe just a little tender its so nice. The finger will stay good for a few hours after that and you'll want to leach it again when it comes back.
>>
>>1039859
>>1041289
Why do I swear you've spoken of this before?
>>
File: finger.jpg (195KB, 1500x976px) Image search: [Google]
finger.jpg
195KB, 1500x976px
I stabbed myself with an xacto knife under the skin of my knuckle. Illustration attached.

Mother fucker bled like a son of a bitch. I had to use super glue to keep it closed for 4 days or it would bleed. I had to run it under cold water when I first did it to slow the bleeding down. I actually had to use super glue activator to get it to seal because it was bleeding so quickly.

Thank God for super glue and activator. I don't have insurance and stitches would have been expensive.
>>
>>1042442
That is fuckin genius.
>>
>>1043174
>drill bit
Just get a penny nail or paperclip, heat it over a lighter, and touch it to the nail. So much more hygienic and a lot less painful than applying pressure with a drill bit.
>>
>>1043100
Worst part about that is it's a slow death, maybe you'll be lucky and get a lung transplant.
>>
File: ankle nigguhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg (53KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
ankle nigguhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
53KB, 540x960px
>>1039848
I was installing a whirlybird on my roof when I slipped and slid down, I managed to grab onto the gutter but let go when it cut my hand.
Took a fall of 3+ meters and shattered my ankle, had to have surgery to insert 8 screws and a metal plate to hold my tibia and fibula together until they healed, it's all still in there.
>>
File: fuark.jpg (902KB, 907x1599px) Image search: [Google]
fuark.jpg
902KB, 907x1599px
>>1043277
Here's how fucked it was prior to surgery.
>>
File: fuark2.png (466KB, 486x906px) Image search: [Google]
fuark2.png
466KB, 486x906px
>>1043281
>>1043277
It's even worse here
>>
File: just.png (779KB, 602x875px) Image search: [Google]
just.png
779KB, 602x875px
>>1043282
>>1043281
>>1043277
I'll stop posting now
>>
Lets see, moving a fridge it got stuck on a threshold, forced it and it jumped, landed on my foot, splitting that long bone in there, the one that connects to the toe.

I have several scars all over my body from being a dumbass with work tools, but the worst ones come from pallet knives and exacto's, I've cut myself to the bone more times than I can count now.

Once slipped off a ladder and some fucker had the brilliant idea of installing a concrete poll like right beside it, fell on that shit, with my back. Pain knocked me the fuck out and I couldnt move for like three days before the pain went down enough to try and even start sitting up, how I didn't end up paralyzed is beyond me.

Watched one my friend remove two of his fingers with a table saw. To this day I still dont understand how he did that. The room filled with pink mist, so that was different.

Got a lot of fucking weird stories from when I worked on bailers for recycle places and waste management. But most of them don't apply here.
>>1041550
I'm GUESSING here, but off the top of my head its to do with using an Iron based grinding wheel on alum, creates a lot of heat along with iron powder and alum powder. Mix them together just right and you get thermite, or at the very least a really small nasty thermite flash, which wont melt through an engine block but BOY HOWDY will still fuck your goddamned day right the hell up.
>>
god damn, my father literally blew his toe off, he got it smashed with a sledgehammer it was hanging by a thread of skin, when we got to the hospital the doctor said the toe was to fucked up and he couldn't put it back, i would take a pic but he passed away 3 years ago
>>
>>1043297
it was a 20 pound sledgehammer, forgot to mention
>>
>>1041550
>>1043290
It's because soft metals clog the pores of grinding wheels, which then heats up and breaks the wheel because hot things expand.
>>
>>1039965
did you die?
>>
had steel dug out of my eye with a needle...twice, wearing glasses both times, the 2nd time I thought I had arc eye so just left it, 2 days later I went to the doc and it had gone rusty, they had bits to dig out that time.

It sounds silly to ignore eye pain but I have had arc eye a few times, it feels similar, and I couldn't see anything in it
>>
File: 1470692159084s.jpg (8KB, 250x242px) Image search: [Google]
1470692159084s.jpg
8KB, 250x242px
>>1039848
Not so much diy unless u count building a church.

>fell from roof
>metal plate in cankle
>metal screws in foot/cankle
>better at predicting rain than a meteorologist
>crippled af the rest of my life
>no meds cause heavy machinery

My life is pain

Mfw
>>
I'm not very accident prone despite flagrantly ignoring basic safety procedures. Worst accident was somehow smashing my index finger and shattering the nail working on a dampener made from lightly sprung stack of metal plates bolted together.

Somehow got the tip of my finger between the plates and jiggled it at the same time. No gloves of course. It literally hurt all day long.
>>
>>1043716
>building a church
https://youtu.be/jrt-KjR6INs
>>
>>1043854
Probably teaching me a lesson? Ive slowed down and leaned to appreciate things. Put me on a path to becomming very wealthy instead of a wagecuck. Retire. Take resonable amount of pain meds to enjoy my retirement in a few years?
>>
File: 7694153.jpg (17KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
7694153.jpg
17KB, 500x327px
>>1043940
Fair enough man. Glad you weren't killed or horribly maimed at least. My mom's a rehab nurse and a large portion of their head injuries are workers falling, and it's depressing as fuck seeing a 35yr old dude reduced to the mental age of a 4yr old.
>>
>>1043283
that's fucking gnarly
>>
>>1043100
Doesn't it take like 30 years to kill you.
Hopefully there will be synthetic lungs or something sometime near in the future
>>
>>1039859
Man, reading that I thought you were talking about me for a second.

I was in machine shop in high school and spaced out, left the chuck key in the lathe. I was going to set the read out on it and turned it on, key hit me right in the face, broke my safety glasses and my nose. My first thought was that I had been punched and I turned around and attacked the person right by me. I can't explain why it made sense but I was stunned and bleeding like a stuck pig, all I could see was red.

Not me personally but I saw a guy grinding sheet metal on a grinding wheel and it got sucked in along with his fingers, ate the nail and tip of his thumb, gross.

In auto shop I saw a car lift come down on a guess hams and turn hist finger into a peeled curly fry looking thing.
>>
File: 11.jpg (24KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
24KB, 480x640px
>>1043277
Damn. I broke my leg and ankle in a motorcycle accident last summer and I got up off the ground to look at my bike, see if it was okay but someone stopped me after a few steps, my foot was flopping around.

Broke my nose cheekbone jaw, road rash on face neck shoulder leg broke leg ankle, both tib and fib. No helmet into ground 40 mph. Bike slid out from under me.
>>
>Thermite casting
>Rain starts falling as I'm packing the thermite
>Figure it will be okay
>Run out of fuse
>Use quickmatch
>Thermite pops
>Get blob of molten iron on my hand
>Burns down to the tendon
>4 months before I can make a fist without pain
>>
>>1043716
My brother and mother had the same injury, can also predict rain, wtf is this phenomenon??
>>
>>1044572
Changes in air pressure cause the bones to alter their size, they press against the metal (which doesn't change size), inflicting pain.
>>
>>1040452

> office job
> cozy

I was an IT consultant for about a decade and it was fun because I was always traveling, meeting new people, seeing how different businesses run, and never had to get into office politics. Went into a traditional office job because the $ was too good and lasted a little over a year before the mind-numbing drudgery made me literally suicidal. I've been innawoods ever since.
>>
File: Thats not a transformers bandaid.jpg (253KB, 1790x1036px) Image search: [Google]
Thats not a transformers bandaid.jpg
253KB, 1790x1036px
Nothing serious but
>a scar in my eye from the time a spark got me from underneath my hood
>chest speckled in little brown scars from burns
>I cut my finger one time cutting watermelon?
>was being a dumbass in highschool trying to weld a 4g and the shit fell on me because I didn't tack it up well enough.
I've been pretty fortunate for the most part. If you're a new female welder or know of one that's starting out I'd always recommend using a female jacket. Those green ones highschools and colleges give out does jack for you when you have tits. Or at least get one that buttons up to the neck. Oh, and almost got my hand stuck in a grinder wheel.
>>
>>1044613
>female
There's only traps here everybody knows that.
>>
sawed into my hand. got infected, and left two small but cool looking scars.
>>
Not my story, but my dad knew a guy who worked some sort of automatic welder for keg stands (welded an end cap on a tube) he got his hand caught on the electrode and started welding across the top of his hand, totally sliced it off
>>
>>1044653
not gonna lie, my ass clenched up. Ouch dude.
>>
>>1044613
how do you do stuff with such long nails?
>>
>>1044673
Very carefully

I've always had long nails and found them super beneficial to have in the long run. I tried having them short for a while but it's hard to do anything with short nails for me. Once they reach a certain length though I do cut them.
>>
>>1044532
>derp no helmet, my skull thick enough
I hope you learned from this, if not not try riding at 60 in future and GTFO the gene pool you're giving the rest of us a bad name
>>
>>1044573
Compress fracture in wrist and L3 vertebrae (trampoline, nothing diy worthy) and tendinitis in my knee, no metal but sane effect I feel the temperature changes in my fractures, damp changes in my knee and if my many fractured ribs ache it's gonna snow heavy
>>
>>1044704
I actually don't wear a helmet because I worry it affects my vision. Besides, it's my life and I can choose to go about it as stupidly or carefully as I want.
>>
>>1044771
"My sciatica is acting up again"
>>
>>1044771

helmets are specifically made not to hinder vision. you're lucky not to be dead as you apparently didn't go skull-first into any road obstructions. but don't need a helmet, no siree!
they even have ones now adays with rear view mirrors built in and at the very least you get much better inclimate weather protection (wind, bugs, sun FFS). you are a fool
>>
>>1044532
You look and act like a neanderthal
>>
All my injuries are minor but most of them seem to happen to my pinky finger.

Most notably I was unwinding a bound up fishtape with 2 coworkers. I had the inner most end of it and when it started to recoil those fuckers let go, had a 250 piece of tensioned steel whip around in my hands until it snagged my pinky finger tip and it dug in good. Had enough spring tension that it nearly flipped me over.

Kept the nail though despite everyone thinking I wouldn't.
>>
>>1039859
i did that, but i was alone in the lathe room, the chuck flew into my chest and dropped me like a bad habit, also had a oxygen regulator on a oxy/ace torch blow up while i was trying to help a welding student cut his bend-test plate, luckily i had cut the flame off when i noticed he was'nt cutting through the plate, i checked the pressure and saw 0 coming out so i went to flick the regulator with my finger to see if the needle was stuck and suddenly had 40lbs of pure oxygen pressure flying in my face.
>>
File: 1471395587987.png (10KB, 576x347px) Image search: [Google]
1471395587987.png
10KB, 576x347px
>>1039848
>Be me, 16 years old working on DPW in a small town.
>It's 103 degress outside. Boss decides we're laying hot asphalt today.
>Trying to make good impression, coworker asks to borrow gloves and I say "sure".
>Laying asphalt. Sweating from shoveling. Working my ass off.
>Little dizzy but I'll be fine. Keep working.
>Black out for a split second.
>Eyes open and I'm falling forward into asphalt.
>Stop myself from landing on my face by thrusting gloveless hands onto hot asphalt.
>I will never let a coworker borrow gloves again and will never work without them.

It was awful. At least I used my knuckle side instead of my palms.
My knuckles were burnt white where the asphalt stuck to it.
Boss said to go home and he'll pay me for the rest of the day.

Everyone called me a pussy. Paycheck arrives. Half day of pay. mfw.

Being 16 and having no idea of your rights sucks.
>>
>>1044893
> work half day
> paid half day
Your lucky he didn't fuck you up for working without gloves and I don't know passing out or some shit.
I've only seen someone black out from heat one time when I was doing clean room tours and the air conditioning broke, we were in the foyer, not even the changing room because it was too hot and the group left and just one guy was standing there with a fucking creepy look on his face and me and my partner were like hey are you ok? And he was just like fucking paralysed standing up, my friend touched his arm and he just kind of collapsed, we grabbed him before he hit the deck and kind of pushed him into a wheely chair and wheeled him outside. I went to fetch the first aider but when we got back he had gone.
But he was just gazed for like 3-5 minutes. Fucking weird.
Personally I don't have many injuries, a glue gun burn and lumpy legs from broken bones that nobody took me to hospital for and now my leg clicks when I walk.
Self inflicted one time I stood on a screw and had to unscrew it from the bottom of my foot because it was holding my shoe onto my foot.
>>
>>1040219
Surprised you only lost a bit of nerve. You're lucky as fuck dude, sweet scar too.
>>
>>1043174
Or go to the fucking doctor
>>
Some people have accidents all the time, I'm lucky.

Sprained my wrist quite badly last weekend coming off my motorbike though, think I hit some diesel.

Honestly thought I'd broken it at first though it hurt like a fucking cunt.
>>
>>1044771
Darwin would be proud
>>
>>1041631
Speak English motherfucker
>>
>>1043100
>thinks he's working in a cloud of concrete dust for days
>keeps breathing it in
Why the fuck didn't you get a respirator?
>>
>>1044771
You need an IQ above 60 to post on this board
>>
>>1045332
No you don't.
You just need access to the internet and the ability to type
>>
>>1045277
Thanks for the reply, I really feel lucky for how it turned out. my co workers nearly had a heart attack, I think it was harder for them than it was for me.
>>
Had the diy accident yesterday

>Fixing hinges on laptop, bent over laptop for 15 minutes or so
>Stand up, can't straighten my back (normally happens if I'm working crouched over or under the sink and goes away in a minute)
>Suddenly lower back explodes with pain
>Can't walk without sticking out my ass and gut and waddling about
>Lie in bed for half an hour
>Decide I better go to my parents' house
>30 minutes rolling around on floor to get my socks on
>Get about 10 steps from my front door and almost collapse
>Parents drive me to A&E, can barely get into the car
>Sitting there for 6 hours, got up once to piss and was agony
>Get X-rays and shit
>Doctor says there's nothing wrong
>Sent home with a note for a week off work and loads of codeine and diazepam
>Still hurts like fuck today

Never had any trouble with my back before and somehow I fuck it up just by standing up
>>
>>1044771
You know, I knew a kid like you in high school. Hit a rock, wiped out and smashed his head onto the curb.

Spent almost a month in the ICU after having a hole drilled in his skull to release the pressure. He's a potato now.
>>
>>1045290
>3k hospital bill for a smashed finger
>>
>>1045761
Land of the reeee
>>
>>1045785
Hey man, I'd love to have actual universal healthcare, instead of this obamacare bullshit that I've got to pay out the nose for shitty coverage, but the insurance agencies lobby too much for that to happen. And moving to Canada just isn't feasible for me.
>>
>>1045750
I feel like doctors don't know shit about how the back works. I have back pain every day and sometimes something like you said, and doctors keep telling me "yeaah you have a small hernia and your back is a bit twisted but weeeell just
have these pills it will pass in a week". It's been 10 years.
>>
>>1039934
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck
>>
>>1045750
Did the pain spread down your legs? I'd look into seeing if you have sciatica. Fucked my shit up a few times. Should go away in about a week but the big thing is to actually work the area. Gently of course but if you move and roll your back, that will massage and loosen your muscles and soothe the nerve you pinched.
>>
>>1045865
>doctors don't know shit about how the back works..
more or less, this - 'backpain' is (or was..) the most popular long-term work-related injury, mainly as impossible to disprove whether someone is actually suffering from it or not. And, the fact that you cannot prove it exists, tells you a lot about the scientific nature of possible 'cures'. A Pez dispenser may well be more efficient than your Doc, but desu, aint really much else in the way of knowledge or cure he can offer.
>>
>>1045886
It's eased up a small bit today but I'm full of drugs so it's probably that.
I just noticed in the mirror though that I'm standing strangely.
I feel like I'm standing upright but my abdomen is actually sloped to one side.
My shoulders are out to the left and my pelvis out to the right a bit
>>
>>1045865
There's a lot that can get fucked up in your back. It's hard to narrow down without a lot of tests.
When I was 18, I suddenly started having back spasms, followed by temporary paralysis in my legs. Had no idea what it was because I was healthy as an ox otherwise. Eventually I went to a PT to see of we could make any progress.
After about a year, and a ton of tests and stretching, we had traced it back to a fall I took when I was TEN.
I had pulled my sartorius and it was pulling my spine out of alignment, and for whatever reason it had taken nearly a decade to pull it far enough to fuck me up.
>>
>>1044708
Ditto. Shattered my kneecap when
>>1045988 happened. Every time the humidity changes more than a little bit or the temperature moves more than a degree or so an hour, my knee locks up and I gotta limp everywhere.
>>
>>1043716
>>1044572
>>1044573
>>1044708
>>1045992
I can tell if it's going to rain or storm too, except I feel it in my eye, since I had a detached retina from a bad car accident a while ago. It's the silicone buckle around my eye holding my retina together.

I like to call it my Weather Eye Forecast.
>>
File: 001.jpg (599KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
599KB, 1600x1200px
Grinder fell over on muh finger.
>>
>>1040219
YOU LUCKY FUCK
>>
>>1041763
>>1042024
Forgot I posted that..yeah, story time.
I was doing a job with my father topping trees up a scaffold tower in a back garden. Trees growing through the middle of a tall hedge, he's cutting them, I'm pulling them towards us (yeah I know) with a kind of long hay hook to stop them from going into the neighbours garden, doing what I'm told. So this tree decides to go a bit too far, my father quickly turns the chainsaw off and goes to put it down, I put my leg out in front without noticing for leverage and he puts the chainsaw down and it skips down my leg ripping flesh as it goes. Thankfully it only caught my skin briefly and only took 5 1+ inch deep/1 inch wide/4-6 inch long chunks out my leg.

Of course the tree fell into the neighbours garden, while I'm bandaging my leg with the only thing I can find, the customers (who isn't there at the time) nice white towel, my father decides to go and bring the tree back around. I'm there freaking out with a towel badly wrapped around my leg slowly getting redder and redder, and he decides to go get a tree out from the neighbours garden. Get to emergency room finally, get seen. Missed most muscle, missed all bone.

It was a very hot day and I remember almost choosing to wear shorts rather than jeans, if I had, my leg would be gone without a doubt.

Leg is fine now, barely see the scars but leg still gives me a little trouble now and then.
Wear your fucking PPE.
>>
>>1046153
Professional Arborist here, I guarantee you there would've been almost no difference in the extent of your injuries if you had decided to wear shorts.

You're also one lucky motherfucker.
>>
>>1046356
It always makes for a good story. Its funny to watch the reaction to "my father attacked me with a chainsaw once".
>>
I took a machete to my pinky finger once. Luckily it was a cheap walmart machete, the bone put a nice dent in the blade. Still had to get a bunch of stitches though, and it was bloody as all hell lol.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>making wooden pickle for Santa
>using carving knife or some shit
>cut my hand wide open
>blood everywhere
>screaming my head off
>Holy fuck there's blood everywhere
>running in the kitchen
>grandma keeps talking about sandwiches
>Santa dumps vodka over the cut
>scream even louder
>Fuck I'm fat
>>
hand slipped while bleeding brakes on shitty old car and i got one of those black nails from that. first time it ever happened and it hurt like fuck for a day or two. never lost nail and my father kept calling me a pussy for not drilling the finger to get the blood out. only other time i actually hurt myself was moving a tv from one apartment to another, pulled my back while loading it into low sitting car and knew there was no way in hell i would be able to get it back out. decided to visit parents for some herbal pain medication while i decided if i wanted to just kick tv out of car and let it break or send someone else to pick g/f up from work. by happenstance my brother was there and helped me unload it and carry it up the flight of stairs at new apartment, made me promise i wouldnt ask him to move if when we left apt..its still there and we are not lmao.
>>
wtf i hate diy now
>>
>>1041663
My thumbs do the exact same thing ever since I was hit by a car.
This isnt DIY, I was just fucking around with mates, ran out in front of car, broke both my arms.

However, Im a UK fag so NHS Free healthcare had me covered for my stupidity.
>>
>>1044843
What went wrong? Was it just a shitty oxygen regulator?
>>
File: 20150305_074921.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150305_074921.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Severed tendon. Finger still doesn't work right.
>>
>>1041289
At least he got some ice on it pretty quick, eh.
>>
Any time you hear 'hand slipped...' you know it's gonna be fucking brutal
>>
>>1046724
sweet fuck what did you do
>>
>>1039848
Nothing to bad outside of cutting a shit ton of galvanized without ventilation when I was young and stupid in a construction batallion.

I've witnessed someone poke themselves in the eye with the hot end of a rod when ocyacetylene welding, my dumb ass grabbed the hot work without a glove to get it away from her flailing

also saw a female have a saw with the guard off crawl across their boot behind the steel toe.
>>
>>1039848
bumped a huge bottle of sake off of a table when i was working as a waiter in japan. grabbed for it just as it hit the deck. hand went thru the bottle and cut my finger from tip of finger, thru nail and back to second knuckle.
>>
File: 76136.jpg (88KB, 1024x764px) Image search: [Google]
76136.jpg
88KB, 1024x764px
my brother got his hand caught in a grinder at work
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 332x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 332x480px
Guy at work, rail road, dropped a 2,700lb Guage Channel on my finger. Big piece of steel craned up & bolted to the side of the car, & those cars aren't small.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Another one after it healed up after the first surgery.
>>
I took some anti-nausea meds to deal with feeling sick from breathing in metal fumes once, before walking home, and
>that's wierd, why does my neck feel funny
>why does my neck seem to want to drift in that direction?
>why can't I center my neck
basically, all the muslces in my neck and chest decided to (gradually) crank up to 11, since the muscles harden somewhat randomly, it not only twists the fuck out of my neck, but also fully cramps every single muscle, tears several of them, and basically crushed my larynx.
I decided to just lie down on the footpath because I didn't have a phone with me, and I swear to god, the second I did that
>multiple cars and people stop
>immediately get ambulance called for me
>get to hospital
>doctor says this is literally the worst case of this thing she's ever seen
>they give me a new dose of benzos every 15 minutes thinking that will stop it
>they literally have to stop for fear that they'll OD me on benzos
>the two nurses that tried to hold my head centered so I could breathe both ended up with sprained wrists and arms
>they were both pretty strong looking dudes, too
>I finally pass out at some point
>???
>need to wear a neck brace for an entire year
I can't move my neck very far, and it still fucking hurts all the time.
For the longest time, I wished I had just died or something.
>>
>>1043174
Don't know bout the leaches part, but drill bit and some alcohol for disinfecting and a lighter. I did it to my big toe, worked like a charm.
>>
>work for the ferry in Chicago
>new girl is in to be a deckhand
>her first day
>she gets a few fingers between the line and the cleat
>pop go two fingers
>she doesnt even notice for about 10 seconds

They fell in the river, never to be seen again. She never came back to work.
>>
I'm like injury-repellent.
I've never been in a hospital in my life.
Closest I've come is dropping a knife and it embedding itself 1cm in hardwood floor... directly between my right big toe and pointer.
>>
>>1046861
>poke themselves in the eye with the hot end of an acetylene rod
How in the actual Fuck?
>>
>>1039848

Got pinched between a wall and a trailer when I was little, ended up losing half my face.

20 years later and you couldn't tell saving 3 small scars. Thank god for plastic surgery.
>>
>Dad works in a nice safe office for last 25 years before retiring
>sells house in Chicago and moves to FL, where he sails and fishes his days away on his boat with Mom
>he gets sick and sees doctor who asks him if he was in the navy or at sea as a young man, did he work in building demolishing or HVAC work, Dad say's nope to all?
>he has Asbestosis and loses one lung completely and a fifth of the other, now he has to use an oxygen cylinder if he over exerts himself
>Dad is not really into the internet so much but my wife is and she starts to search for info on his old workplace and the FB pages of people he worked with
>a ton of stories start to emerge of people who all worked at that building and now have lung cancer or have died of it
>my wife gets Dad and a bunch of others to start a class action on the building owners because of asbestos got into the duct work and they knew but never said anything to anyone
>case gets settled before court, Dad has new bigger boat and I have a nice inheritance to look forward too because my wife is a clever girl.

Not really an accident at work story I know but even a "safe" job can kill you when others fuck up.
>>
I don't normally hurt myself since I work slowly and methodically. My safety and the quality of my work is more important than a strict deadline.
>>
>>1046931
Friend of mine lost his finger basically the same way, but it was up to the middle knuckle.
He now has a 'prosthetic' he made that has a flash drive in it, and tells children that he's a cyborg.
>>1046936
What the ever loving fuck.
The human body is dumb.
>>
>>1047009
I've never understood the mentality of business/building owners.
There is a 100% chance something like that is going to bite you in the ass. It's expensive now but it'll be even worse later, plus your name will be in the paper for being a right cunt.
>>
>>1046932
Got any recent pictures? Also are you still able to work? Hows life been without your index finger?
>>
>>1044771
>worried about "lack of vision from helmet would cause a crash
>crashes without one
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 750x1334px
>>1047063
Life without an index finger is really annoying. Seriously, you never know what the hell you have til it's gone. I can't do certain shit anymore just because it's gone. I can still work, although it still hurts like hell to this day.
>>
>>1044771
>I worry it affects my vision.

You worry? How about TESTING? A properly fitted helmet protects your vision and face from bugs, gravel and other nasties.

You have a neck. You should be scanning systematically for hazards by rotating your fucking head, not your eyeballs.

Too bad about all those GP racers crashing because their helmet blinded them.

Oh. Never mind.
>>
>>1046936
Metal fume fever. Study and note what metal is was. You may have a workman's comp case.

See a lawyer.
>>
>>1044771
It's not our concern if you want to become hamburger for the crows. It's everyone's concern when your limp corpse becomes a projectile.

Now go ahead and be a statistic.
>>
>Three years ago
>Working in a metal shop
>Be using a hydrualic press to cut some metal
>Not wearing glasses
>Decide to wear glasses
>Get back to cutting a metal edge
>Press gets stuck
>Don't Lock out/Tag out the machine
>Look on other side of machine where the pieces fall
>Press the release
>Small piece of inch wide steel pangs up and bounces off my glasses

>Using belt sander
>Not wearing gloves of any kind
>Stop sanding
>Put on welding gloves
>Start sanding again
>Belt immediately breaks and beats the fuck out of my freshly gloves arms

>Using a rotary saw
>Not wearing glasses
>Decide to wear glasses
>Start cutting some steel again
>Blade shatters and bounces off the glasses

>Helping coworker use a manual press
>We're not wearing glasses
>Setup a jig
>Decide to wear glasses
>He decides not to
>Use press
>Jig breaks
>Bits of metal fly up and get him in his eye and face
>I get away with a knicked earlobe

I'm lucky I guess.
>>
>>1047088
There are no good prosthetics? I have no experience with prosthetics but it seems like that would be a pretty simple one to make, since it only has one joint and doesn't have to support a lot of weight
>>
>>1047114
Are you Spider-man?
>>
>>1047114

I think your safety gear might be produced by Satan himself.

It's clearly trying to kill you and blame it on innocent tools.
>>
>>1047120
I don't know anything about prosthetics either, & none of the doctors have actually mentioned anything about it so I'm not entirely sure. I've had my own thoughts about it, but everything I say to the doctors & whatnot just gets ignored usually because I'm just wrong since I'm not one of them.
>>
>>1047124
No, i'm white.

>>1047134
I wouldnt deny that just based on how luckily unlucky I am.
>>
>>1039848

Worst:

I tripped on my dog and fell off a staircase while carrying a 40 pound LPG tank.

I was able to throw the tank off to the side mid-fall, but that propelled me downwards even faster and I smacked by ribcage on a cinder block on the floor.

Three fractured ribs, hurt like a son of a bitch.

I think that fucking tank could have killed me if it landed on me.

Most scariest:

I was chopping some scrap wood into small pieces to burn in the stove with my miter saw.
They were mostly 2x4s and 2x2s with the occasional 6x6 or 2x10.

Either way I never bothered clamping them down since I didn't care for a clean cut and I wanted to get it done quickly, so I just held them in place with my hand.
For the 2x10s I even cut two or three at once just holding them on top of each other.

Anyway, I started to cut a 2x4 but as soon as the saw bit into its corner it immediately ripped it from my hand and tilted it upwards, jamming it hard into the blade disk and stopping it pretty much instantaneously.

It produced a MASSIVE bang and the saw, along with THE ENTIRE FUCKING TABLE it was bolted on, jolted back a foot and turned 45 degrees.

It really made me realize just how much kinetic energy is in one of those disks.
>>
>>1041702

Doesn't really look much more dangerous than a standard blade honestly.
>>
>>1039848
I had free unsupervised access to a fully equipped workshop from about age 9 to 15, my favorite thing to use was the band saw and i never wore safety glasses even when grinding metal.

Its an absolute miracle that i never had anything worse than an occasional scrape from the belt sander.

I did however get an inch and a half scar half a CM above my eyeball from a golf club once.
>>
File: 20150806_202636.jpg (2MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20150806_202636.jpg
2MB, 4128x3096px
Like everyone else, worst injury was with an angle grinder and my fingerprint is now permanently alerted, much luckier than the other guy in my shop that had a ceramic angle grinder cutoff blade explode in his face, thankfully he was wearing his goggles or he would have lost an eye.

He now has one of those cliche vertical scars that you see in movies that extend from above the eye to below the eye but miss the eye itself
>>
>>1047161
Btw, I was wearing leather gloves when that happened
>>
>>1043100
The symptoms of asbestos poisoning show a median latency of forty-four point six years, so if you're thirty or older, you're laughing. Worst case scenario, you miss out on a few rounds of canasta.
>>
>>1047142
>I tripped on my dog and fell off a staircase while carrying a 40 pound LPG tank.

did it at least lick your face while you were in pain on the floor?
>>
>>1040467
agreed
>>
>>1047170
>t. cave johnson
>>
>>1039848
a dog bit my penis
>>
>>1040262
How are you not dead? were you wearing rubber underwear?
>>
>>1047103
Nah, it was specifically from the nausea medication.
The medication rarely causes that, and I just happened to be hypersensitive to the medication or something else retarded.
>>1047016
If you never want it to happen to you,I suggest you never ever take metaclopramide (I think that's what it was), or basically any dopamine agonists if you don't have some DPH (dude spiders lmao) or benzos or something on hand just in case.
>tfw can't just take dph for nausea because it's prescription only and none of the doctors prescribe it in my country.
>>
>>1040037
Thats why I keep a couple of rare earth magnets in my truck, and I do use glasses at least. Full on goggles fog way too bad in this Florida humidity, and there's always that one sliver that sneaks past.
>>
>>1047229
What's /diy/ about that
>>
>>1047466
i made a fish sandwich by myself, then a hound tried to steal it from me.

goddamnit, i made that fish sandwich and i was going to enjoy it. but i got bit on the dick instead.
>>
>>1047088
How's using a mouse?
>>
>>1047312
Eyyy that's neuroleptic malignant syndrome!
I had that. Some mold or fungus or something made me delirious so they gave me haloperidol and I had basically the same thing happen that you did.
>>
>>1047019
Yeah but it will be the next CEO who deals with it cos you'll be retired and past liability.
>>
>>1040894
That fucking gif is sickening...
>>
File: 20160708_152633.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
20160708_152633.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>>1044673
Tbh ive seen my mother in law get very involved with a head gasket swap on a ford escort, and her nails were longer than that. So i would say its believable. Pic unrelated
>>
Went to slowly open a 24inch wheel valve pressurized with condensate and steam. Valve broke, hammering the line. The pipes were fixed through out the surrounding structure so shit is falling apart everywhere. Line breaks right where Im standing and the steam blows me off of the cat walk and down two stories. Fucked up my back but I didnt want anyone to know I was hurt because I would have been fired. I walk like I have a stick shoved up my ass.
>>
>>1039848
>Be in welding class
>oxy- acetylene
>Goofing around as usual
>Maybe grabbing what i was working with
>Maybe I was tanking the hose off something
>Have one of those slow motion moments
>Forced to watch while I cant react
>Fire bends around my left hand ring finger.
>Show teacher, he laughs
>Hard as fuck, black and no sensation
>"Use this cream, it will hurt"
>5 mins later, it does hurt.
>>
>>1047804
>not taking the disability and workman's comp
>>
Worst /diy/ injury? 44 wasp stings while stacking up some firewood.

Little fuckers were living behind the latch of the gate I had been going in and out of for the last hour with no problems.

Walked past the gate, arm lit up like it was of fire. Look over, see the incotmming swarm.

Now, at this point, I'm actually stuck in a corner. My only meas of escape is back through the swarm. Ran back through, tweaked my bad knee in the process.

Normally, im not allergic, but this time was too much. I ballooned almost instantly, got on the horn to EMS.

Apparently by the time they got there, I was so bad off it took three epi's, a full open tracheotomy, two jolts from a defibrilator and a shot of adrenaline to stabilize me. Three weeks in the hospital.
>>
>>1047858
Worst workplace accident I ever suffered involved an office christmas party, spiked eggnogg, a questionable condom and that miserable litte tart from SnR.
>>
>>1044704
Top kek
>>
>>1044613
>those ogre hands
>female
>>
>>1045750
>>1045865
>I feel like doctors don't know shit about how the back works.

General / Family Practitioners don't know shit about anything. They're the doctors that almost failed out of med school. They're WebMD level screening for the run-of-the-mill bullshit that just involves two Tylenol and a sick note. They handle broken arms and sniffles.

In IT terms, they're the Tier 1 tech support located out of a warehouse in India that asks "did you reboot?" because that actually does solve 90% of the problems. Except if you're in that 10%.

If it doesn't get better after few days of bedrest and muscle relaxers get a referral out to a doctor in the neuromuscular department. Orthopedics or even a fuggin chiropractor. Even sports medicine would have at least sent you out for a massage.
>>
>>1045792
>pays an extra $5000 in taxes a year
>"at least my $3000 surgery was free!"

American math scores are gud.
>>
>>1041631
Are you schizophrenic?
>>
Artist here
>step on 0.5 lead
>goes into foot so deep it hits bone
>miraculously doesn't break off inside kek
>>
>>1047896
>General / Family Practitioners don't know shit about anything.
I think, more fairly, the problem is that they need to know a little bit about everything, so they can't spend months reading up on the biomechanics of backs.
>>
>>1047142
I swear my dog is trying to kill me. He's always getting in my way. Tripping me at the last second.
>>
>>1039859
... Tommy? Is that you, man? Class of '05?
>>
>>1047896
Specialists do exactly that, they specialize. General practitioners are the ones that link all the pieces together to help get a correct diagnosis and treatment plan. Especially if you've got a primary physician who you see more or less exclusively, someone who knows your medical history and what problems you have or medications you're taking, without having to ask. Otherwise you might get prescribed a medication that interacts with one you're already taking, or have an allergy to.
>>
File: IMG00091-20130226-1747.jpg (306KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG00091-20130226-1747.jpg
306KB, 2048x1536px
>be talking to buddy in metal shop
>gesture with left hand while retelling story
>smack left hand in sheet metal shelving
>think nothing of it, didn't hit the shelf hard
>buddy comments about something "stuck to my hand"
>take a peek
>nothing is stuck to hand, it's just skin cut open showing bone across first knuckle of index, middle, and ring finger
>sheet metal was sharp as all fuck
>damn it really went in all the way
>almost no blood, just a drop or two
>buddy starts freaking out
>pull on the skin to check tendons
>tendons are okay, flexing fingers, I can see the tendon move around
>buddy losing his shit
>still not much blood
>be still looking at tendons moving as I open and close my hand
>wander to first aid box
>buddy insists on driving me to hospital
>doctor coaches a cute intern to sew me closed
>intern has a hard time getting needle to go through skin

went better than expected/10
>>
File: 20160402_200028.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20160402_200028.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
>>1048227
>index
I'm dumb, forget the "index" part there.

However this here happened later, slipped with a knife (S30V leatherman, sharp as fuck) while trying to cut a chunk of hard plastic at an odd angle.

It doesn't look like much but it had quite a sting, the knife curved under the fingernail; the "angle" across the cut nail doesn't show how the knife almost scalloped a chunk off.
>>
File: 1376177751335.jpg (77KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1376177751335.jpg
77KB, 640x480px
>>1039848
>salvaging lumber
>encounter a screw with a socket I didn't have a bit for
>It was only in a 1x4 so decide to pull it out with my longest crowbar
>it comes out without hesitation... whizzes past my ear (I felt the air), embeds all the way into the rigid insulation in the ceiling 10' above me, and it was like a 4" screw
>wasn't wearing safety glasses

>driving a 27 horse diesel tractor down a big muddy hill, with a trailer that was honestly too big for it, and said trailer was overloaded with lumber
>I know it sounds stupid but I'd done such things without problem before
>Tractor starts fishtailing, I jump off knowing what was about to happen, tractor takes off, disengages from the trailer, rolls THREE times, stops completely upside down, with the trailer on top of it
>Lumber fucking everywhere
>Had to wait ill good weather AND call the wrecker to get it out of that hellhole
>Why the trailer didn't swing my way and flatten me like a pancake is anybody's guess

>Sawing up sheet aluminum for scrap
>Aluminum is very soft and the blade went through a piece way quicker than I thought it would
>The end of one of my fingers went straight into the moving bandsaw blade
>Somehow it just topically scewed it up without serious injury, like a series of several small shallow cuts
>Just took one bandaid and like 5 days to heal

>nearly cut my finger off with a razor-sharp axe
>blood fucking everywhere
>somehow didn't even damage the ligament
>which is weird because I swear I felt it touch the gritty finger bone

Answer mine?
>>1048209
>>
The second-worst thing was scratching the shit out of a customer's hardwood floor with their fridge, (I was new) and letting insurance pay 30,000 for new flooring in 3 different rooms.
The worst was not tightening a threaded/automotive clamp tight enough, which ended up causing 13 gallons of water to spill on the second story and ruin eeeverrything. Stairs, floor/ceiling of second story, floor of first story... No idea how much insurance paid for that one, but I'm lucky to still be with the company after that.
Oh, dropped a dishwasher on two different people's hands. They were ok.
>>
>>1048227
I sliced a mm or so off the right side of my left thumb while making a cut with a ruler and utility knife. Initially I was all oh shit but I calmed down and just kinda bandaided it in place. Healed OK.
>>
>>1041399
LMAO
>>
>>1041550
>>1043290
is wrong
>>1043311
is half right.

The aluminum gathers on the stone unevenly ('clogging' it up) and throws the stone off balance. The resulting vibrations cause the stone to explode. Not the heat.
>>
>>1047114
>gloves
>belt sander

If it's a handheld belt sander, that's a good idea.

If it's a pedestal mounted shop sander, gloves are usually a hazard, not appropriate PPE.
>>
>>1048276
you sound like my employees
>>
Numerous little BS owies through the years; the chuck key stories brought back some flashbacks from high school shop class. Never happened to me but several classmates got to wear the chuck of shame for a week.

Some owies that still bother me from some thirtyteen years ago - shop class welding slag brand 3" long keloid scar right under the knot of a necktie, drives me insane. Punctured ear drum from a stick in the ear when transplanting a small tree, that one hurt like a SOB for a week. You are not supposed to hear wind when you blow your nose. Constant reeeeeee and the convenient selective hearing excuse
>>
>>1048276
Consider a different profession if you haven't improved
>>
I was changing the fuel filter on my car when almost a quart of gasoline spray right into my left eye like a dumbass.

Before changing the fuel filter, a smart person would pull a fuse or relay to disable their fuel pump, start the car and let the engine suck up all the fuel in the line before stalling out. I didn't do that, the line was still pressurized and the minute I pulled off one end, whatever was in the line sprayed in my eye. It burned like a motherfucker and was the worse pain imaginable.
>>
>>1040901
>not recognizing a dagobah link
hows your first week here?
>>
>>1048526
A smart person would know the car doesn't "suck" fuel out of a pump that's not running because there's nothing to produce suction. The injectors might bleed off some pressure during a start attempt.

You can, however, use the Schrader valve to dump excess pressure. A very few older EFI systems aren't equipped with a valve and on those I use a face shield when removing filters. Fuck goggles. Face shields are wonderful so I collect them and have plenty about my shops.

If you own a vehicle, buy a fucking service manual and actually READ it. Even if you are experienced. Nobody knows everything.
>>
File: steven-seagal-sniper-trailer3.jpg (27KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
steven-seagal-sniper-trailer3.jpg
27KB, 700x393px
>>1048539
>mfw dagobah is till around

I havent seen that shit in forever
>>
>>1048364
>>1048479
These were within my first two months. 2 years later, no issues after those mentioned.
Kind of the company's fault for sending me in to people's houses unsupervised with a bare minimum amount of training.

The dishwasher thing, though, happened because, on two separate occasions, I lifted the machine to check out the wiring/water connection. New people decided to shove their hands under (for whatever reason) without telling me.

Oh, as far as physical injures go, I've had my fair share of sheet metal cuts. That and a bruised rib.
>>
>>1039859
Nice. I'm in machinist school right now, There's a perfect 1x2x3 indent in a wall from when some dickhead made a 123 block out of some nonferrous metal and tried to use the surface grinder on it.

Probably the worst accidents I've suffered are getting set on fire while welding, shocking myself while welding on a barge while it was raining, and getting burnt while welding overhead.
>>
>>1039848
I didn't suffer it but had a Polish woodshop teacher cut right up the middle of his thumb with a radial arm saw. After the initial shock of the injury he managed to give the class a thumbs up when he left.

Also in shop I used to manage had an idiot stab themselves in the thigh when they were trying to cut cardboard with a 6 inch butterfly knife.
>>
Nothing too serious, but a few 'oh shit' moments:

Back in high school, small gas engines class, just finished putting the engine back together. I grabbed the flywheel and gave it a turn, not paying attention to what's in the path.
Tip of left ring finger somehow slides under tiny gap between flywheel and ignition coil, edges are razor sharp.
Didn't hurt at all at first, just sudden numbness and intense tingling. Pulled hand out and found huge flap of skin hanging off, starting to bleed.

I just held it up on the air for a while to slow down the blood flow, eventually clotted without running down my arms. After a few hours, hurts like fuck, can't really see how deep it is, but it's all black and nasty looking. After several days flap of skin falls off and finger is now quite lopsided. Eventually re-grew some skin, but the finger still isn't quite round like the other ones.

1/3
>>
>>1048838

In high school wood shop class, cutting some long 2x4's. I'm having a brain fart and can't remember what the saw is called, but it's like an industrial sized radial arm saw, like 12 feet wide and with a fixed 90° cut. I start to cut a few inches off the end of the board, and somehow the blade catches the wood in such a way that it throws the small piece against the back so that it bounces off at super high speed and launches a few inches of two by four directly into my crotch.

I didn't immediately collapse unable to breathe, so it must have missed the important bits... I look at my pants and find it ripped a small hole in one of the legs, and upon checking in the bathroom I found it had slammed into my inner leg hard enough to rip the skin open and make it bleed a little. If it were about an inch further to the right, I probably wouldn't be able to have children...

2/3
>>
>>1048840

Me just being a clumsy bumblefuck: I was digging out some super hard dirt with a pickaxe, it was hot and I got kinda lazy and sat on a bucket, half-assing it and not really paying attention to what I'm doing. I managed to somehow lose my grip on the handle with one hand so that it levers up and clips my eye socket with the tip of the handle.

Ouch, I put my hand over it for a bit, I bet that's gonna leave a bruise... ~15 seconds later, my arm feels kinda warm and I hear something dripping, pulled my hand away and look at it and my palm had completely filled with blood, it ran all the way down my arm, and was dripping on my pants. Hurt like hell for a few weeks, I think I might have chipped the bone a little or something, but it healed up and didn't even leave a scar.

3/3
>>
>>1048841
4/3 because I just thought of another one. More of a thing that makes you cringe to imagine but wasn't particularly dangerous or even painful.

I once stepped on a pin so that it somehow pointed up and went into my second toe, jamming right up into the joint until it hit bone and pushed the tip of the toe up a little. Didn't really even hurt much, just felt really weird, like the tip of my toe was caught on something. I just sat down and pulled it out (took a surprising amount of force), and aside from being slightly sore for a few days, has been fine since.
>>
>>1039848
>Watched a drywaller saw into his hand.
>Watched another drywaller drill into an EMT pipe, short out his drill and drop it on his foot - wearing flip flops.
>Watched another drywaller cut into the webbing between his thumb and index finger with a razor knife.

I swear drywallers are the most retarded of the trades.
>>
>>1041631
I think that's skater jargon
>>
More mildly scary than actually bad, but the worst I've had is a nail coming rather rapidly out of some wood I was denailing with a claw hammer and heading straight at my face. Thank fuck I was wearing safety glasses, I wouldn't have even though that could happen. Happened again at least twice, though it didn't make me jump quite as much.

A mate got an oddly shaped pair of wavy cuts on his wrist from chucking an old boiler off the first floor of the building we're working on, if they'd been a centimetre to the right they woul've hit the artery. Left a fairly visible scar but he was fine
>>
>>1047475
>goddamnit, i made that fish sandwich and i was going to enjoy it. but i got bit on the dick instead.

kek
>>
>>1047898
>no healthcare
>get cancer like any normal person
>treatment is 6 digits
>die
>>
>>1048841
Thanks for the new word. Bumblefuck has a nice ring to it.
>>
dont wear gloves when operating lathes or mills/drill presses. i dont care what the safety director says.

i had the unfortunate experience of putting a tourniquet on a co worker who lost a battle with an engine lathe. he also lost his left hand and fore arm, because he got his glove caught in the spinning workpiece and couldnt get the machine shut down nearly quickly enough. tore his shit right off.

the worst part is, we dont have tourniquets in any of the first aid kits hanging up around the shop. so i had to make one out of a yellow extension cord and a fucking ball pien hammer, while two other guys held him up right and tried to stop the blood flow through direct pressure on his brachial artery. we all got sprayed down pretty good before the tq got cinched down enough to stop the bleeding.

again, please dont wear gloves around a lathe
>>
Accidentally glued the fingers in my left hand to my palm with hot glue.
>>
Was attempting to fix my circuit breaker's door. My hand slipped and touched some of the wires and electrocuted me.

It surprisingly didn't hurt, but felt really tingly. I've experimentally electrocuted myself several times since then and it never hurts, just feels like a nice massage.
>>
i threw sandstone in a campfire and it blew up and hit me in the neck
>>
Shaved off a 4x1cm flake of skin from my finger while whittling. Healed up pretty nicely.
>>
>trying to repair a mandolin (the kitchen tool, not the instrument)
>blade has to be superglued
>Fucking around with it trying to get the blade in the right position
>blade slips, slices half of the nail and all the flesh on the left side of my thumb off
>everything hurts for days
>>
>>1048774

i think you should stop welding
>>
>Fucking around with a giant electric mixer bolted to the floor
>this is the kind of mixer you fear
>the paddle of the mixer is roughly 25-30lbs and as big as a toddler
>Some new dude decides to clean it without unplugging it
>his shoulder hits the on lever
>breaks his arm and wraps it around the mixer paddle like taffy
>>
>>1049614
>electrocuted myself
You gave yourself a nonlethal electric shock. Electrocution means death by electric shock.
>>
>>1049641

still felt cool
>>
>>1039848
Op here, holy shit never expected one of my threads to last more than 2 weeks
>>
>>1049567
>I don't care what the safety director says
If your safety officer is telling you to wear gloves while operating lathes, you should give osha a call, because it sounds like they've got no fucking clue how to do their job.
>>
>wankstain buddy trying to see how much he can compress a piece of wood in a vice
>wood cracks and bits flew
>a fragment grazed my right eyelid
>>
"TL;DR: The Thread"
>>
>>1050277
t. (You)
>>
>>1040051
>any way you cut it
>>
Sliced my pinky from knuckle to tip with a deli slicer.

I still get shivers whenever I think about one of those.
>>
File: 2016-09-06 11.21.58.jpg (696KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-06 11.21.58.jpg
696KB, 2048x1152px
>media blasting my house with walnut shell, bought my own 185 CFM compressor
>shut down to move scaffolding
>restart, plume of smoke from engine compartment; carburetor was flooding and leaked on the starter motor
>tinker with shit, start it back up
>HUGE FUCKING EXPLOSION BANG NOISE WITH NO EAR PROTECTION, BLACK DUST EVERYWHERE
>Dazed as fuck
>are the chinks invading, wheres my pistol

Turns out some fuel vapor or something had gotten in to the muffler. Or it backfired somehow. Whatever it was, it literally exploded the muffler which was about 10 inches diameter. If id had the side doors open, I probably would have had shrapnel everywhere, it was a mess. Pic related, thats the bitch right there.

I took the rest of the day to myself and had a beer.
>>
>>1048276
That sounds disastrous. Have you gotten better?
>>
File: 2016-09-06 11.29.33.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-06 11.29.33.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>1050320
Here is the muffler.

This happened last year. Finally having a compressor guy fix it this month.
>>
>>1048865
Is it a trade? I thought drywalling was something people did between jobs
>>
File: laughingdeath.gif (2MB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
laughingdeath.gif
2MB, 256x192px
>>1050320
>are the chinks invading, wheres my pistol
>>
>>1047114
You should just buy a lottery ticket, anon.
>>
>>1050320
>"QuietPower"
>>
>>1045654
send your doctor some flowers man
>>
>>1041581
One who gets paid by the hour
>>
>>1050323
Shit, that thing is just completely made out of rust.
>>
File: IMG_0950 (1).jpg (514KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0950 (1).jpg
514KB, 3264x2448px
Tryied to make this bear cake for A party but failed (i burned my selfd)
>>
File: 1465541241030.jpg (13KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1465541241030.jpg
13KB, 480x480px
>>1052563
survived a collapsing building
>>
File: image.jpg (870KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
870KB, 3264x2448px
>>1048227
>yesterday
>working as HVAC installer
>crawling under house
>grab box of sheet metal strap
(Think plumber's tape but wider)
>can't pull strap out right due to confinement, have to hold it all weird
>rip strap out
>finger feels funny
>look down, there is now a hole in my glove
>rip it off, look
>see bone
>realize IFAK is in car
>crawl ~150 feet to the access hole
>by now i'm covered in blood
>run through house while family is home saying "shit shit shit"
>kids scream
>grab IFAK, lock myself in bathroom, fix it
>go back to crawling
>coworker calls me a pussy and tells me to put pookie on it next time
>>
>>1043224
i dont get it
>>
>>1052614
I shall assplain. You see the chuck keys if they get left in the machine whe it is turned on, fly out at 9000rpm and hit you between the eyes removing you from existence. So they put a spring on the chuck key so that you have to put pressure on it to hold it in the chuck. If you let go the spring on the key will extend and the chuck key just falls to the floor.
>>
>>1052619
This should be everywhere. It makes so much sense.
>>
>>1049630
i used to work with those and that is my worst nightmare. or it ripping my hand off.
>>
>>1052621
I think new lathes often do come with T-handles like that. Before I finished the program, my CC shop just got a new Hardinge and it came with the spring loaded pin thingy. Same with a Haas conversational they got recently as well. Or its an option they include for the school bound machines, I don't know.
>>
>>1039859
Lathes legitimately scare me. Haven't used one since high school.
>>
>>1052621
>>1052649

Mine came with a spring on the key. I took it off. While, yes, it does prevent you from fucking shit up by forgetting it in the chuck, it also makes using the damn thing a massive pain in the ass. When you need to tighten/loosen the jaws by several turns, you can't let go of the key to reposition your hand and continue turning it because it just flops out of the keyhole.

I can see the value in that functionality in a learning environment with numerous novice machinists, but, outside of that, it's just better to make removing the key such an impulsive habit that you can't NOT do it without thinking about it.
>>
Falling from a ladder and nearly severing my big toe.
>>
I am a volunteer paramedic, and we had a call out to a child who was using a claw hammer. Swinging it behind his head to get the most power possible out of each hit.. One thing leads to another and we got called out because the claw degloved almost half of his head from the back of his hairline to just past his ears
>>
>>1047858
Holy shit
>>
>>1039848
i cut myself in the leg with a chainsaw
>>
Broke 3 of my metacarpals when nailing some heavy duty staples into a pole on an overhead job in angleton. The hammer wasn't catching the staples very well because it had a smooth face and I was getting frustrated and wailed on it, slipped up and absolutely rekd my hand.

Ive learned that in electrical line work, its not a matter of if you get hurt- it's a matter of when and how bad. I got off lucky so far, a kid I know recently got killed because he caught a 12kv line across his back.
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.