[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, I just posted this in /adv/., and they suggested that I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: redgreenhandyman.jpg (961KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
redgreenhandyman.jpg
961KB, 1920x1080px
Well, I just posted this in /adv/., and they suggested that I come here.

I want to extend my patio.

I recently bought a little ground-level condo, about the size of a two bedroom apartment,

the back porch is just a little concrete slab about a foot off the ground. Then there is about three feet of uneven dirt extending out to a retaining wall and a thirty foot dropoff.

I'd like to put in some paving stones or something around the concrete slab, so I have a little "shelf" to put planters and whatnot on. It will also serve as a step down to the ground level.

Then the patio itself can be used for chairs, a little BBQ, etc.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking of just building a perimeter by putting some planks into the ground, filling that with sand, and setting the paving stones into it

I should add, I've never done any kind of project like this before.

The men in my family were completely incompetent when it came to handyman stuff, so I don't want to ask their advice.

If my idea sound idiotic, please tell me what I am doing wrong. That's why I am asking. Hopefully some handier anons on here can set me down the right path.
>>
Since you're in a condo I suspect there's some politicking to be done. Make sure you can actually do what you want to do before you go all in on materials. My HOA wouldn't allow a patio extension on my unit if I wanted one.
>>
>>1039003

Thanks.

Our HOA is pretty laid back about people putting in gardens and such. We have a full time property manager. I have already spoken to him about it. It looks like I will have the green light to do it.

A few other residents have done similar patio extension projects, successfully.
>>
>>1038992
I'll tell you what you're doing wrong. You're not posting any goddamn pictures so we can see what the fuck you are working with. You're description was fucking terrible. Goddammit I swear, every fucking thread...
>>
File: PATIOPROJECT.png (65KB, 1838x1120px) Image search: [Google]
PATIOPROJECT.png
65KB, 1838x1120px
>>1039025

Sorry, no camera or phone with a camera to take pictures atm.

After approximately 1000+ hours in MS Paint, I have created this masterpiece of a diagram to better illustrate what the patio looks like, and what I would like to do with it.
>>
>>1039020
>A few other residents have done similar patio extension projects, successfully.

Copy them or ask what contractor they used.
>>
>>1039053

They did the projects themselves. The difference is, their patios are almost level with the ground. All they really did was scrape a little dirt and lay out the pavers where they wanted them.

Mine is not level with the ground. It is about a foot above the ground. My project will likely be more complicated because of that. I need to find a way to bring the stones up a few inches.
>>
>>1039055
Can the patio area be access by truck? Order dirt and have the area you want brought up to the level you want. It will work fine if you're pretty close to the right height.
>>
>>1039072

No way it can be accessed by truck. I could get a wheelbarrow back there, with dirt, rock, or sandbags.
>>
OP here. I guess my main problem is figuring out what to use as a barrier to hold the sand/gravel fill in place.

I'm also concerned about drainage. I plan on sloping the extension downward, but since I am raising the area overall, I am worried about water draining back under the concrete slab or building.

I live in a super wet climate, we get daily rain fall five months out of the year.
>>
Wtf is there no fence anywhere with that 30 foot drop off? OP we're gonna need some pics here...
>>
What's your budget like?
http://www.railwaysleepers.com/projects/retaining-walls-with-railway-sleepers/all-gardens-great-small-hoblands-project
>>
File: Rocks1.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Rocks1.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
>>1038992
I recently built this. After tilling and removing 4-6" of dirt I laid down landscape fabric, and used plastic lawn edging as a border. Then I put a few inches of sand in it as a bed, then rock.
>>
File: Rocks2.png (4MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Rocks2.png
4MB, 1080x1920px
>>1039324
Will use a locking sand after it settles
>>
I'd say you put a damn fence at the end of that patio to stop yourself from free falling off this 30 foot drop off
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (136KB, 1838x513px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
136KB, 1838x513px
>>1039049
Could you do something like pic related?

Why not continue the retaining wall higher up and add some dirt/rock to level it up. Install drain tile to contain and drain water away and then sand/pavers.
>>
>>1039109
Look up retaining walls. Blocks are common here. You can even add in drainage conduit along the outside buried under rocks and landscape fabric to make sure water is moved away.
>>
File: IMG_20160814_141129.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160814_141129.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1039049
**Plan view
**Elevation View

Use these terms for future drawing reference!
>>
>>1039973
Nice ruined car, dick.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.