[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

5.1 to 2.1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 9

File: GLLOGX530-1.png (185KB, 650x380px) Image search: [Google]
GLLOGX530-1.png
185KB, 650x380px
Hey /g/.

5-7 years ago I bought X530 5.1 Logitech speakers.

For some time now I've only used them in 2.1 mode for my TV, after selling my PC.

As you can see in the picture there are 5 small columns, each with 2 little speakers.

The idea is to make 2 columns out of these 5 with 5 little speakers in both, 10 in total and put them in new wooden frames.

I already tore them apart, now I'm stuck with no idea how to connect 5 speakers to one cable, without losing 90% of sound volume and quality.
>>
Summing amplifier circuit at your TV's audio output?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (48KB, 607x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
48KB, 607x1080px
>>1038410
I had a set of X530s. They are pretty mediocre speakers even by Logitech standards. It has two identical drivers per speaker, which is pretty useless. If you opened them up you will find they don't even have a crossover or anything. They are cheap speakers though, so you are at least getting your moneys worth. Not like the crap Bose sells.

>I already tore them apart
So they are useless now. You should have sold them and spent the money on something useful.

>now I'm stuck with no idea how to connect 5 speakers to one cable, without losing 90% of sound volume and quality.
How much money do you want to spend on these garbage speakers? The amplifier is in the 'subwoofer' (which is just slightly larger than a decent sized mid driver) and it is designed to drive two garbage universal speakers per channel. You want to be able to drive 5 garbage universal speakers per channel. The amp can't handle that without you losing most of your volume and maybe even destroying the amp.

So you need a new amp. If you are going to buy a new amp you might as well get some decent drivers. That means you can't reuse anything from the speakers, which you already destroyed. They generally sell on CL for $25-$30 if in decent shape. You could have bought a set of used full sized speakers for that. Get an old amp/receiver from somewhere and you'd already be worlds better than any stereo/2.1 speaker systems Logitech maker.

Also, designing speaker cabinets is not just about slapping bits of wood together and having a beer. They have to be designed for the drivers you plan to mount in them or they will sound like crap.
>>
File: IMG_20140406_155442_949.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140406_155442_949.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
First sorry about english.

Keep the faith OP, you can have a lot of fun with that shit. It will never sound good because you can't have 6 good amp channels and 6 good speakers for 100$, but don't throw the shit away.

>>1038440
Okay I get your point and agree with the general idea but in detail :

- They have a capacitor on one driver to get a bit more treble, Put your ear on one driver then another you can hear it. Of course not crossover on two identical drivers, the filtering is active and it's in the """subwoofer"""

- They are really okay for the price, here it's like 15 - 20€ for the 2.1 and around 50€ for the 5.1 version.

- Totally agree about Bose, it's not even Apple-tier "good but 2x too expensive", it's "bad AND fucking expensive"

>So they are useless now.
No don't be mean

>You should have sold them and spent the money on something useful.
Yes but it's really cheap so you might as well have fun with it

- Putting more speakers on an amp channel doesn't make you lose power, either you plug them in series and yes you might be limited by the amp max voltage, OR you plug them in parallel, you get more power out of the amp but it can overheat, or just produce (more) shitty sound.

- Yes OP can buy a real system and it will work better but it's not the question he asked

- Actually building a closed cab is mostly about slapping bits of wood together, you just need the right internal volume and be careful with materials, sealing, resonnances and stuff. For this kind of drivers we really don't give a fuck, just keep the same volume they were in and you're good. However, bass reflex, horn, the different kinds of bandpass... yeah that's complicated stuff.

SOURCE : I have the x230 on my PC, it's shit compared to a nice hifi system, it's amazing compared to what most people use. And a used one can be 15€ so it has a pretty amazing price/quality ratio.

I got my hands on a x530 and customised it for gf. I'm going to dump the pics and explain.
>>
Okay so the base idea was pretty much the same than yours : stereo source, 5.1 kit, wat do ?

- I wanted it to look good and match gf's house decoration. That was the important thing. Hipster-hippie-recycling-vintage-palets-reddish-brown-post-apo-whatever style.

- I wanted it to fill the room with music OR just put sound on laptop's desk. Dunno if I'm clear sorry

- it was like my first serious DIY project and I clearly wasn't ready for something this complicated. Friends helped me though, mostly with the electronics part.

- I had a deadline and underestimated the time I needed. Some things were rushed and are ugly as fuck
>>
File: IMG_20140406_160404_782.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140406_160404_782.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I put all the controls in the same box, it used to be :

-main volume, earphones socket, power-on led, input I think, on the front right speaker
-Sub volume, sockets for the 4 other speakers on the ""subwoofer""

now it's input and controls on that remote thing, and all 5 speaker outputs on ""subwoofer""

You can switch between 5.1 input, and it works like any other 5.1 with 3 stereo jack inputs.

OR stereo mode, and in that mode, you can choose between stereo on the 4 wall speakers OR mono on the two little desk speakers, witch are on the same amp channel, and that's just for web browsing and email alerts and stuff
>>
Also I had to replace the 15 pin d-sub cable with a 25pin thing because I needed to move the sub volume control.

Now I think 15 pins were enough but at the time I was afraid to mess with the PCBs.
>>
File: IMG_20140406_160821_551.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140406_160821_551.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
The whole design was just induced by ex-gf's interior. I ripped a bit of wood off of her homemade palet bed to match the color.

I tried to rust everything with salt water but at the time I didn't know how to stabilise it so it's probably total shit by now.

I also made a few mistakes that makes it shit. They are easy to fix but hey, I'm not calling her back to fix her shit. For example I didn't seal the amp backplate on the sub so the quietest bass shot makes air noises.

Also at the time I didn't know the difference between signal cable and output cable (dunno if right english words but) the thing is : you can't pass power through signal RCA cables... Even if the RCA plugs are fine for medium power amplified signal.

Why am I telling you all my life ? Well just so OP knows you totally can mess with that shit and have fun.

If you want to keep it very simple, just use Y jack cords to connect the front and rear inputs to your stereo source, forget about the center shit, keep the same cable pattern with two drivers on each amp channel, and you can make small towers with 4 speakers in each, try to match the internal volume of the original plastic enclosures. Volume of two plastic-2-driver-shit for one wood-4-driver-shit.

Or if you have a bit of money, want better sound and don't wan't to DIY the thing, just do >>1038440
>>
File: IMG_20140407_102042_071.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140407_102042_071.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I'm not exactly proud but she said she liked it.

Took me like a week of work, I was discovering most of the tools I used and I wasn't exactly efficient.
>>
Don't try to overdo it like I did, keep it simple, achieve the looks you want, and don't worry about "wasting" two drivers out of 10 or something.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.