[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a picture of what happened to my new desk after being

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: desk.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
desk.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
This is a picture of what happened to my new desk after being under the heat of my laptop for days. I guess it's covered in paper that will warp under a lot of heat which is what my laptop gives off.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? And how can I prevent it from happening? Is there something I can put under the laptop? Right now I've put a clipboard underneath it and that hopefully won't catch fire or anything.
>>
>>1037970
You bought a shitty desk with cheap veneer on it.
Cant be surprised its ripping off.
>>
>>1037970
Is your laptop an Acer or something? I remember a girl in university begging me to save her files after her Acer literally caught fire and burned a hole under the heatsink. Salvaged her HDD.

Regarding your desk... not much you can do in its present state. If you really, really like the desk, you could cut out / scrape off any parts of the desk that stick proud of the surface, fill that section in with drywall compound, sand it, and put a thin new top or veneer over it. Or do the same but with Bondo and put a really good paint overtop of it.

Alternatvely, if you have decent legs under the desk, you could buy a new cheap top from IKEA. They have thick, cardboard-core masonite (think hollow American-style door) tops that have a reasonably durable surface for the price.
>>
open up laptop, clean / vaccuum dust and crap out, renew heatsink paste if capable - laptop should run cooler.

get ventilated laptop stands/coolers from AMZ etc - be about $15-$20, with or without fan, or put laptop on a more solid piece of wood between laptop/table, chopping board, etc. Be careful you are not blocking vents, put something underneath back of laptop (strip wood/metal/plastic, whatever) to raise rear slightly and allow airflow underneath.

Your table is, in all probability, a POS - I doubt its worth attemping repair, a better quality table be less likely to go on fire, but if your laptop is running too hot? - fix, before it dies (goto 1st paragraph)
>>
>>1037978
Macbook Pro. A relatively new one. Sadly I don't think buying a new top is possible as it's really an easel that's designed to move up and down at an angle. As it stands I can ignore the warping but maybe in the future I'll think about recoating it. Is there nothing that goes under laptops for this purpose?

>>1037993
Not opening this thing up and taking it somewhere for that to be done would be an arm and a leg. It's always been hot since I got it, I guess that's just how macbooks are. Will probably see about a good stand.
>>
>>1038005
buying a new top ISN'T possible*
>>
>>1037970
No you can't fix it. It's probably a cheap formica or melamine veneer over particle board. The glue weakened in the heat while the plastic expanded, resulting in them there bubbles. Garbage gonna garb.

The best you can do is to strip the melamine and laminate the top with a new surface, like hardboard or real wood. Only you can decide if cheap garbage desk is worth the effort.

The cheapest solution is to hide it with a tablecloth.
>>
File: 0094156_PE231892_S5.jpg (205KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
0094156_PE231892_S5.jpg
205KB, 2000x2000px
>>1038005
You can get a laptop mat with fans in it from most computer stores.

IKEA also has these angled laptop rests made of plastic for dirt cheap. Or you can check their As-Is for a small finished piece of solid hardwood (I found a nice one that I use as a work surface occasionally). You could even put little rubber feet like for cabinet doors on the bottom so it doesn't slide around, and for more clearance.
>>
>>1038005
Download Speccy and post your temps. If they're unreasonably high you might need to clean it out just to keep it alive.
>>
>>1037978
I had an Acer Aspire 5535 and it would regularly switch off from overheating. I'd have to put it in a carrier bag and into the freezer if I wanted to use it again soon.
>>
>>1037970
OK
Borrow a hairdryer from you mom/sister.
Slowly heat up bubbled area.
When it shows any sign of being flexible/pliable, put something flat and heavy on it. Not kind of flat. Flat. Piece of sheet metal with a bunch of crap is best, but use what you have available.
Better to make a couple attempts vs going full boat and melting it with too much heat.
>>
>>1038094
>macbook pro
>recommends a windows program
>trusting speccy's temps
>>
>>1038094
They don't have Speccy for macs but I downloaded something that tells me the temperature. Seems the peak hotness, the temperature that messed up my desk, is around 70 degrees. Maybe a little higher than that because I'm not using it as intensely as I sometimes do. Is that too much? I honestly thought it would be a lot higher going by touch but I guess not.
>>
>>1038096
You cannot seriously be comparing an Acer Aspire to a Macbook Pro here anon?

One is an aspirational piece of finest technology hardware that cost cash new, bought and used by tens of thousands of happy customers and has decades worth of development into such unavoidable hardware issues as thermal management.
The other is an overpriced meme POS that cooks because 'Steve doesn't like fans..'

Your obviously placing it on your desk wrongly and have no future as an Apple Stakeholder - ebay it to some other retard while still worth anything, buy a Dell. Then, use whatever desk you like - thank me later.
>>
Buy a cooling pad OP
>>
>>1038151
Considering Macs require RAM with temperature sensors, it might actaully be more accurate.

But Macs are laughable meme-tier computers and should be treated as such, anyway.
>>
>>1038173
>downloading a program to tell you info you can pull from /sys and /proc
>>
>>1038295
I like having something like this at the touch of a button.
>>
>>1037970
The glue has melted and the veneer has come unstuck. Cover the area with a damp towel and heat it well with an iron. As soon as you take the towel off, weight the area down with something flat and heavy (or flat with weights on top), let it cool and if you're lucky, the glue will have rebonded.
>>
OP here. Over time the bubbles went down. The bubbles are hardly noticeable now. But if it happens again and it doesn't fix itself I'll use the advice given. Thank you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.