[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'll preface this by saying I'm a retard and this could

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2438.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2438.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'll preface this by saying I'm a retard and this could have been prevented. But it is what it is.
This is what my hardwood floor looks like after I picked up the rug my dog has been peeing on. We rent, so if this can't be helped, we're looking at a $3000 charge to replace the floors when we move out two years from now. I can easily put aside that much money over the next 2 years but I'd rather not have to. That's a couple of cruise ship tickets right there. I've tried reading up on how to fix this but the guides either don't give enough info or assume I own the place and I'm ready to redo the whole floor.

-What should spray on the floor?
-Do I need to sand it bare first?
-If so, after only be sanding that particular spot, how can I make sure to refinish it in a way that matches the rest of the flooring?
-Other ideas?
-Am I fucked?
>>
I think you're fucked mate
>>
Minwax makes stain wipes. You can get them at any hardware store. Though I'm not sure how they'd work on parquet floors. Might be worth a shot though.
>>
$3000 to replace that tiny section of floor is a rip off.
>>
Just put the rug back over it
>>
>>1037491

Tell your landlord "it was like that when we got here"
>>
>>1037491
You could try hydrogen peroxide, pour out enough to cover the spot, cover it with plastic wrap, wait a day or so. There are specially made products that do the same thing. No matter what you do you'll have to refinish the floor with a light sand and new finish, have fun matching the original. And if you still have the dog it doesn't matter if it works or not, the dog is going to keep doing it, regardless of what the tree hugging, anthropomorphic believing idiots here are about to tell you.
>>
>>1037491
Does it have a clear finish on the floor or is it bare wood? If finished ,it's almost certainly polyurethane.

Did the urine penetrate the finish? If not, this can be fixed by refinishing the wood. Spot refinishing is possible, although the work will always be visible, with skill it can be hidden well enough to be unnoticed.

1. Wash it with Windex or another ammonia based cleaner to remove the urea deposits. Then you can inspect the damage to the finish. Apply some light sanding to the finish (320 or + grit) and see if the stain comes up. If so you are good, it's just a surface stain. Sand the stain off, polish the remaining poly with fine steel wool, and be happy.

2. If you have to sand deeper but the underlying wood color is intact, then go ahead and go all the way to bare wood, or there will be an obvious dent where you scooped up the finish. 80-120-220-320 grits. Feather the sanded area out so there are no clear square or circular borders with the old finish, those shapes draw the eye. Apply a new finish - hopefully you can match the sheen with the old, this will require some judgment. Make test strips of potential finishes on scrap wood if needed. If the original finish is extremely thick (1/8" or more, or 2+mm), it was probably a self-leveling epoxy or poly. If it's thin, It's definitely poly, but you'll need a rubber floor roller to apply the replacement coat. After it has cured, sand the first coat with 320 to remove flaws and level it to the old coat, then do a final coat as thin as possible with a roller or rag. If needed, feather scuff the borders of the patch with steel wool to help hide them. Practice on scrap wood first.

3. If the urine penetrated the finish and stained the wood, you're fucked. It can't be removed enough to hide it, so you have to cover it with a new, darker wood stain. That means you'll have to refinish the entire floor, easily $2-3k depending on the size of the house. In this case, start saving.
>>
>>1037530
Additional note, if the wood finish originally included a stain, you'll scrape the color up as soon as sandpaper brushes the actual wood surface. If you think this may be the case, don't go to bare wood, you will NEVER match it.
>>
>>1037491
cover it with dog blood
>>
Easy with the sandpaper, rub with walnut afterwards
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>1037528
>dogs are literally untrainable
>>
i have rentals with parquet, this is an easy fix
sand down the squares with a palm sander to bare wood.
the floors look dull, so top with a satin water based for hardwood floor.
this is NOT a $3000 job.
>>
>>1037570
Fucking kek
>>
>>1037491
Maybe just glue down the rug
>>
>>1037491
Did you just let the dog pee on your rug then not clean it up? I'd hate to smell your apartment, bud. At least us NEETs can pee in a bottle without missing.
>>
>>1037532
>if the wood finish originally included a stain ... don't go to bare wood, you will NEVER match it
OP here, that's the dilemma, I don't think I can tell just by looking at it
>>
>>1037520
>$3000 to replace that tiny section of floor is a rip off.
They would replace all of the floor in the apartment. I've heard through tenants who knew previous tenants that they'll insist on replacing the floors over much, much smaller defects that should be considered normal wear-and-tear. And the icing on the cake is that once they collect the $3,000 from you they won't actually replace the floors for the next tenants.
>>
>>1037491

If the parquet tiles are not glued down you may be able to pull the damaged ones up and flip them. I've seen that done with tongue and groove floorboards. You will still have to deal with the finish but at least you will be starting with the same wood.
>>
>>1037721
find an out of the way area (corner of a closet, etc) and use a chisel/scraper/knife/sandpaper to cut down to the bare wood. If the color lightens drastically, it's stained. If the finish is nothing more then a slight yellowing/darkening compared to bare wood, it's probably just a clear coat. Clear coat itself does change the color, but only a a little.
>>
>>1037724

That's why in the UK we have a tenancy deposit scheme who hold the money in escrow until the landlord produces receipts or proof of work that justifies the cash if they try to pull that trick we get refunded our deposit.
>>
Pet owners deserve their stuff getting ruined. Hunting animals should be kept outside next to the gear.
>>
>>1038403
But that would place an undue regulatory burden on businesses!
>>
>>1038426

Whybdo poor people have ao many ducking pets? Its like they will do anything to stay poor and live in disgusting shit holes
>>
If they insist on being asshats about it then fuck up the rest of the floor to the point where they CANT pocket the money if they ever hope to rent it out again.

Landlords who try to fuck people out of security deposits are worse scum then scrappers who will dig through a garbage pile to get half a pound of metal then leave trash everywhere and move on.

In this case i could see them asking for it to be fixed, or replace the flooring in THAT room.

But if they try and screw you into paying to re-floor the whole apartment then fuck them.
>>
>>1038472
>pets make people poor and make their homes disgusting
Don't forget children.
>>
>>1038525

I have two cats, and the only gross messes I've found in my house are from visitor's children. Which is why I try to avoid having people over with children. Ugh.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.