[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /diy/ Do you know anything about sharpening hair clippe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1470975800611246966161.jpg (1MB, 3120x4208px) Image search: [Google]
1470975800611246966161.jpg
1MB, 3120x4208px
Sup /diy/

Do you know anything about sharpening hair clippers? I've had these for about three years now, and lately they've been functional, if slow.

I googled a bit and watched some YouTube tutorials that suggested that it was pretty simple.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfvELoHrQk

Sharpening stone, light pressure, movement along the length of it. My sharpening stone is a really cheap one, though new.

Gave it a go and clipper is now much worse. Barely even cuts. Did a few tests with a couple of locks of hair, and it seems like the blades neat the edges cut tolerably, but the ones in the centre are just singeing the hair. I'm assuming I did something retarded and just blunted my clipper to unusability.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1037166
you have to use very fine stones for clippers due to how they work
>>
>>1037166

As previously mentioned, you need a very fine grit to get an effectively-sharpened blade. Ridges in the cutting edge will tend to grab strands of hair before cutting them.

It also needs to be very flat, to ensure even mating between cutting surfaces. Personally, I use sandpaper and a surface plate (I do machine work), but most glass panes are very flat due to the way they're produced and can be used the same way. I go up to 2500 grit, which works, but still isn't really high enough to be ideal, it seems. Doesn't cut quite like new, but much better than dull.

Also, do you have enough oil on the blades? The oil is critical not for just ensuring the blades slide easily, but in ejecting any stray bits of hair from between the mating surfaces.
>>
when it comes to hair clippers i've found it's better to just replace them every so often or buy a really good set and have them professionally sharpened. another benefit of a good set is that you can often order extra blades
>>
>>1037173
>>1037185
>very fine stones
I guess regular hardware store silicon carbide that comes in 'coarse' and 'less coarse' won't cut it, then.

I guess my options at the moment are buying a much finer stone, or finding someone who caters to barbers and suchlike.
>>
>>1037191
some 2000 sand paper on a piece of glass will do
>>
>>1037192
2000 sandpaper glued to a piece of glass will do?

How many uses do you figure that'll get?
>>
>>1037195
The glass should be less than $5, the sandpaper is $6 for 10 sheets, spray adhesive is about $7. For less than $20 you're set for a while, I'd bet for several years. All these prices are from the Homeless Despot's website.
>>
>>1037217
Nice. Different hardware prices where I am, but hopefully not to different. Will have a go, cheers.
>>
>>1037166
Literally 10 bucks for a brand new one, why waste time??
>>
>>1037230
Thank me later

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00196Y09G/ref=mp_s_a_1_9_s_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1470986509&sr=1-9
>>1037230
>>
>>1037230
>>1037232
Cheers. I'd have to look into the cost of shipping, seeing as I'm on the other side of the world. For some reason I've not had any luck finding cheap clippers locally. Presumably a chat with the clipper repair shop will let me have a better sense of the supply situation.

It's stupid, but this set of clippers has a small amount of sentimental value to me.
>>
>>1037233
Post pics of the first pussy you shaved with them, go on...
>>
>>1037285
Hmmm. I've never had a woman with a shaving fetish. Something to try, maybe, but I imagine that'd be a job for a razor.
>>
If you get a good commercial clipper like Andis you'll pay more but spares are readily available. Pet hair is tougher than human hair. I keep a #50 blade for me and a #10 for my dog.

I got tired of wearing out "cheap" Osters etc. My Andis has been shaving my head since Desert Shield.

It's less hassle to replace blades than attempt to sharpen them. I tried fine sandpaper (high dollar shit from military aircraft canopy polish kits) on glass and it still didn't work very well.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.