[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never spray painted something before. Do I need to bother sanding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: whatthefuckamidoing.png (345KB, 379x455px) Image search: [Google]
whatthefuckamidoing.png
345KB, 379x455px
Never spray painted something before.
Do I need to bother sanding a brand new plastic item that has no scratches? Or if I do (I guess so the paint can adhere right?), Do I need primer? What grit rating do I use? The plastic is glossy/shiny/smooth as fuck already btw.
>>
>>1036559
What kind of plastic?
ABS,PP,PE(T),Celcon etc
>>
>>1036567
Doesn't actually say any more other than Polycarbonate
>>
>>1036559
If the plastic is super smooth - depending on your paint you need to "key" the surface first by sanding with a high grit paper.

If you have paint designed for that surface you can skip this step.
>>
>>1036559
RIDE ETERNAL, SHINY AND CHROME.

Just get the right paint. Krylon sells a spray specifically for plastics. Don't fuck with the surface if it's already perfect.

You should clean it to get off any waxes, oils, or mold release still on the item. Paint thinner/acetone still works best. Light acetone on your rag. You don't want to get the part wet. Wipe it off right away to minimize it soaking in. You can clean it again with alcohol before you paint. Some auto parts stores also sell little single use paint prep pads. Might be cheaper if you don't already have a rag and thinner.

Be careful how/where you hold it and use gloves. Any oil on the surface from a fingerprint can show since it's glossy.
>>
>>1036783
>>1036777
Thanks. Also the item in question was this
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QMPKVUQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just want to make it black instead of this smoked look and get rid of the transparency.
I need to use this one specifically so it fits with some shitty screen faceplate too. Half tempted to just 3d print it all out but I have to go through re-calibration and all sorts of shit on my printer again.
>>
>>1036559
i have just recently spray painted a new bought lavalamp and a toy.

it worked fine for both of them
>>
>>1036559
Witnessed
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.