[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I came from Norway from a hike, and I managed to drag a decent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: p_quartz_cluster_lamp[1].jpg (62KB, 575x689px) Image search: [Google]
p_quartz_cluster_lamp[1].jpg
62KB, 575x689px
I came from Norway from a hike, and I managed to drag a decent piece of pretty white quartz with me. I want to drill a hole into it to put a lamp into it to create some ultimate hippie pussy magnet, anything I'm missing about the process?

Diamond drill bits, starting from small bit and going up incrementally to a good sized hole seems like a good idea in general. I probably want to cool the piece with running water while drilling into it, would that sound about right?

Don't know much else what to make sure when starting to drill, all I really know I don't want to end with a bunch of quartz sand having dragged the rock quite the way from atop a decent sized fell.
>>
Just put it on a little light stand and ur done
>>
>>1036297
As in, make the light come at it from just underneath, no hole? It's not quite clear enough to make it work nicely like that.
Might not be the best piece of quartz either but hey, it's my piece of quartz which is what matters.
>>
Diamond drill bits can be quite expensive, especially large ones, id recommend using a small drill bit (which would decrease the chance of shattering) to make a ring of deep holes that are quite close together, then using a medium bit, widen each hole so it connects with the neighbouring hole in the ring.

once youve got the ring complete, its a simple matter of removing the 'rod' in the center by drilling a slightly shallower hole down its centre and then tapping a thick nail into the hole to shatter it
>>
>>1036292
When drilling concrete, tile or glass you use the 'hammer' function on a drill. Probably the same for this, but I've never tried it.
>>
>>1036292
Drill a small hole
Put tritium vial in it
Have everyone who sees it glow in the dark run away in fear cuz dedly radieishun
>>
>>1036292
Actually, putting these two ideas together (>>1036316
And >>1036769),

Why not get a 3mm drill bit and drill a few deep holes from the bottom, then put an LED in each hole. Maybe plane off the bottom of the rock so it will sit flat on a stand. Plug it in and let the warm pulsing light irradiat you.

Bonus points for using RGB LEDs and controlling it with an arduino or whatever. that way you can make it different colors on the fly, set it up as a night light with a timer, etc. just build the arduino in to whatever stand you mount the quartz on.
>>
File: drill_square.jpg (27KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
drill_square.jpg
27KB, 450x450px
>>1036292
Youre going to want to drill with water or oil, id imagine it would be like drilling glass or rock so you dont want it or your drill bit to over heat from friction.
>>
>>1036644
won't it shatter form it?
>>
>>1037267
Yes it will. Dont try it
>>
>>1036292
Definitely do any cutting or drilling with water. Silicosis is nasty
>>
>>1037267
Hammer drilling will fuck that crystal up, guy's messing with you.
>>
>>1036292
Why not drill a small hole half way through it from the bottom and jam in led strips that change color? If you take your time and use caution you'll have a great little table top lamp!
>>
>>1036292
You should probably know this, but I guess you don't. A hiker (or any other visitor to nature) should never remove an item (other than trash) from the park/trail/etc he/she is visiting. Nor should you build cairns or dams in rivers with rocks. Leave it alone so the next visitor can enjoy the site in its natural state.
>>
>>1038527
It's a rock, you cunt.
>>
>>1036292
Show us ·your· quartz. We could give you advice for weeks, but we'll have a better idea of what will work versus what won't if we can see the specimen. Nice stock photo though.
>>
>>1036292
Ensure you do this wet. And by that I mean either under water or with something spraying water on the cutting surface and stone. T. Amateur lapidary
>>
>>1038529
So? The Great Smoky Mountains has more than 10 million visitors a year. What if every one of those cunts decides to take out a faggy fucking sentimental rock?
>>
>>1038913
Go fuck yourself trying to restrict what I do in the wild, my natural habitat, I bet you would try and stick me in some box apartment with a bunch of other freaks who watch tv all day in the name of municipal efficiency.
>>
>>1038913
I don't know about in Norway, but in Michigan we have a provision where each person is allowed to remove 25 lbs. of rock material per year. There was a guy who removed a single piece weighing over that amount last year and the state came and took it away from him.

Moral of the story is don't post about it online if you take a big chunk of stone off public lands.
>>
>>1038948
I know you're baiting that guy a little bit but I really liked this post.

> I bet you would try and stick me in some box apartment with a bunch of other freaks who watch tv all day in the name of municipal efficiency.

I feel you Brother.
>>
>>1038913
>What if every one of those cunts decides to take out a faggy fucking sentimental rock?

What a good question.

According to Google, the entire park measures 6,643' height above sea level at peak, 840' at lowest.

And comprises an area of 'over' 2100 km^2

So, the volume, we can assume is about 1.1 km * 2100 km^2 = 2395 km^3.

Lets assume each rock is oh, 1/10th liter in size on average.

So, per m^3 there's 10,000 rocks to take.

So, there's 10,000,000 faggots chipping away at the Great Smokey Mountain per year.

Each year, they scramble to take 1000m^3 of rock.

What a scandal.

With 2395 km^3 of rock at their disposal, there's 2.395 * 10^12 m^2 of rock to take.

They take 1e3/y So it will take 2.395e9 years to chew the rock down to flat.

> so?

That's 2,395,000,000 years before you can proof OP was on the wrong side of history in current year.
>>
>>1038975
Theres a plateau near by that was known for its large mineral coverage that made it look like it was made of glass when the sun hit it right but people kept taking rocks from it and dulling it, eventually they put a large pile of the mineral at the gates for you to take instead of taking it from the plateau.
>>
>>1039026
Why are you assuming they are chipping away at the park evenly? Chances are that the remote areas of parks are not being pillaged at the same rate. You are also assuming that the park is all rock and no soil or dirt. Soil and dirt erode faster when rocky material is removed.

You are also saying that you need to reduce the park to sea level for it to be noticed which is not true. The removal of several feet of the uppermost layer would kill off most plant life.

You also fail to account for growing trends in visitors per year.

The number one rule of /out/doors is to fucking preserve nature so you don't fuck it up for everyone else.
>>
>>1039026
People who turn to mathematics as their first line logical tool tend to be the most naive, myopic, and dim witted people around.

Yes, continue to employ your naive model of what rocks people can and will remove in a given instance, and from what areas. Keep acting like it won't cluster heavily and be readily noticeable.

One thing we agree on is that it's a good question. Shame it got such a stupid answer.
>>
>>1039065
>You also fail to account for growing trends in visitors per year.
Not him but I'm pretty sure visitor numbers will drop a little one we've strip mined the first 20' or so off the whole park.

>>1039294
Noice ad hom.
>>
>>1039308
>Noice ad hom.
I neglected to add that the poster is gutter trash etc, but thanks.
>>
>>1038913
literally nothing
>>
>>1037942
>>1038006
Anon that suggested the hammer drill function here. I'm seriously suggesting this as an option. Looks like my guess was wrong.

But after some reading, it seems people use diamond drill bits (cylindrical shaped bits), plenty of water, very light pressure and patience.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.