[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some chainsaw advice. I have been learning about and pruning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

Need some chainsaw advice. I have been learning about and pruning trees for years and I have decided to start doing it semi-professionally (more of a side-job kind of deal). I am also an avid rock climber and I am comfortable working aloft, so I have been teaching myself tree climbing. I am unsure of which chainsaw to get as a good all around chainsaw. I am getting a MS 150 T-C-E for use in tree, but I need something with a bar length of around 20-26 inches to cover everything else I could come across regarding the type of work I would like to do. Is the MS 440 a good pick? What about something else? Money isn't too much of a concern.
>>
Husqvarna 550. Once you've had a husqvarna you won't want a stihl.
>>
>>1035249
Anything Echo brand. I had a crew come out and chop down the rest of a tree in my backyard. It was a little over 2 feet in diameter and over 8 feet tall so that portion of the tree was too big for me to handle. They were all using Echo brand so it must be what the pros use. I've personally used one before that was years old and it started on the first pull everytime. If you need pro grade long term purchase I'd go Echo.
>>
I can't say about other brands seeing as I have only ever used Stihl. But the only stihls I have issues with are ones that have brutally mistreated

>HURR XX IS BOOLITT PRUF

Nothing is bullet proof from being run without oil and occasionally dropped from 20 feet up onto concrete.
>>
>>1035249
You want a small climbing saw for pruning, a medium saw for big limbs, and a big saw if you plan to take down entire trees.
>>
>>1035249
You want multiple saws to handle all the different shit not just one big one. Even using a small saw all day will really wear you out, be lucky to go an hour or two with a bigger one

>>1035253
Husky is fucking garbage for anything but occasional use. Have to be the worst fucking engines I've ever seen
>>
>>1035728
Husky or husqvarna?

If you're saying husqvarna you're straight talking shit.
>>
I wouldn't buy anything but a Husqvarna Used a Husqvarna 562xp heavy in the woods all elements for 2 years and no problems .
Cutting pulp to stud wood , to pine logs
stihls and echos are a waist of money
>>
echo is garbage for professional work, fine for residential work
>>
oh look.
another cordless drill thread, but with chainsaws.
>>
>>1035772
>stihls and echos are a waist of money
>waist of money
>waist

Opinion discarded due to grammar.
>>
>>1035999
>Implying tree surgeons are going to have good grammar.
>>
If youre not bonded and insured, which I doubt you are because its like 45k a year, youre going to be fucked if you get hurt.
>>
>>1036006
You'd think they'd learn english after going to school for 8 years.
>>
>>1035249
Personally I use the ms 201 tc-m in the tree. It is a little heavier but with the 14" bar it allows you to do a lot more, pretty much eliminating the need for a bigger saw till you are pretty much on the ground.
For felling I would recommend the stihl ms 66c-m as it has a ton of power and, in my experience has always run no problem.
I've had a few big husqvarna's in the past aswell as a small husqvarna climber and found them to be a bit temperamental in comparison.
Hope this helps and good luck with your new business venture!
>>
File: 1455594624631.jpg (38KB, 550x467px) Image search: [Google]
1455594624631.jpg
38KB, 550x467px
>>1035249
If I needed a new one I would do what I always do. Go to an equipment store. handle them all till I find one that meets my requirements.

-Almost completely magnesium/aluminum body.
-As little plastic as possible. Especially around where the blade attaches and the muffler. Plastic handle and trigger almost unavoidable though.
-Paper air filter(not a fucking sponge)
-<$300

That is enough to tell me that it is of a higher quality than most of the shit big box stores sell.
>>
Im an arborist In the northeast, we use ms460 as the work horse and ms210 for climbers
>>
>>1035249
Regardless of what these faggots say, the difference between Stihl and Husqvarna is minimal. They're both great saws.

When looking to decide between them all you need to ask yourself is "Is the local chainsaw mechanic a Husky or a Stihl agent?" and then go with whichever one is easier to gets parts for locally.
>>
>>1037019
I agree with this guy. Jonsered is also up there.

OP, I use Husqvarna because that's what teh local guy sells. If he sold Stihl, I'd have those.
>>
>>1035249
I've worked for two guys who did tree work, both used husqvarna for general purpose work and sthil for in-tree saws. I personally own a sthil for general purpose work, but I'm just some dude so my opinion probably doesn't mean much.
>>
>>1036152
>Everyone went to school

I know were living in a modern age where in many western countries there are laws about kids going to school but it's not enforced 100% in every country, state, city or town.

That said in the few years I've been in the working world I've had the pleasure of meeting some brilliant minds and they'll openly say they didn't go to school or left well before time.

Some people don't suit book work. Some people suit working and learning with their hands on the job. Don't dismiss this.

Perfect English is not exclusive to a btilliant mind and it's just a case of circumstance that someone would end up in a job like this because they didn't finish school.

TL:DR the knowledge and skill of using a chainsaw and knowing whats good and bad in brands as a profession isn't exclusive to that person finishing School or even attending.
>>
>>1037529
You missed the joke.
>surgeon.
>>
>>1037552
Not him, but I thought the joke was that they stopped going after 8th grade....
>>
Ex tree surgeon fag here.

If you're climing, get a climbing saw. Small, light, designed to be operated with one hand. Stihl 020 or 009, baby Echo or whatever. Don't get the best one - you'll drop it eventually.

You'll also need a mid-range saw for ground work. I like the 45-50 cc ranges from Stihl, Husqvarna or Jonsered - they're all good.

Do get properly trained. GET FUCKING INSURED for personal injury and third party. Get experience by working with others (and get paid for it) rather than working by yourself, you'll learn a lot faster.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.