[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking of taking the cheaper route and getting some Pittsburgh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image_24739.jpg (80KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_24739.jpg
80KB, 1200x1200px
Thinking of taking the cheaper route and getting some Pittsburgh (harbor Freight) impact sockets.

For $75(ish) i can get their 37 pc SAE and metric and 2x 12 Pc 1/2 drive deep well impact sockets (1 set in SAE and one set in metric)

Could get 12 point or 6 point on the deep set. leaning toward 6 because why not.

They come with a lifetime warranty so if they break i can get new ones for free.

Most of the other sets i was looking at were 10 pce sets for $50 or more.

I know HF has a stigma about it which is whats holding me back. Anyone here ever use these impact sockets?
>>
if your gonna use them every day for heavy duty work then perhaps consider better ones..

if your gonna use em every once in a while for fuckaround stuff then they'll likely be fine, if you find that you use one specific one enough to break it (or more likely if your 10mm socket developes legs and wanders off) then you can buy individual replacement sockets to make up for the broke/lost ones...

also make sure you use the hazard freight coupon...
>>
>>1035027
I buy and use lots of HF tools.
About the only thing I don't recommend is their cheapest corded electrical tools.
(drills, saws, etc)
>>
>>1035028

Not a mechanic or anything so im not going to put them to hard work on a daily basis. But they will not sit in their case on my garage and collect dust either.

In addition to the stuff i do on my own I do some side job here and there and not having impact rated sockets sucks balls.

I very likely will not use several of them but I know for a fact that if I do not get the full sets I will need the one I do not have.

The reviews seam very impressive for harbor freight.

Though getting the deep wall set in metric seems a little much. I might opt to get a few one off's of the larger sockets.
>>
You know, I use an impact wrench every day for work. I've been in my job about 9 years. I bought my first impact socket just two weeks ago.

Even now I don't know why I paid so much for it other than the fact it said impact.

That said if you are going to buy into the idea that they're better than chrome vanadium, $75 for 37 sounds cheap as fuck. I paid half of that in GBP for 1 17mm impact socket.
>>
>>1035048

No its $25 for the 37 pce set
+25 for the 13 pce deep wall in SAE
+25 for the 13 pce deep wall in metric

And the reason im looking for an impact rated set is because i have messed up a handful on non impact rated sockets.

I know going up to snap on and spending $400 for a 15 pce set is retarded for what im using them for.

However i could see upgrading to craftsmen or dewalt. but its just so much more money for a fraction of the sockets.

I mean even if the pittsburgh ones break they have a lifetime warranty.
>>
>>1035058
I wouldn't buy snap on. People will howl about how great they are but honestly they're no better than any other when you're paying that much.

Would you rather buy 1x$40 socket or chance it with 40x$1 sockets?

I know what I'd do. Some times you're limited to the task and what's available so you have to spend more on one but where you can, just get run of the mill sockets.

On some occasions you will get some cheapo sockets that won't be a great fit but that's just a chance.
>>
>>1035062
You aren't paying for the tool, you are paying for the warranty. Last I checked HF wont drive out to your workplace and give you a replacement. Snap On is overkill unless you buy it used or make a living with your tools.

If you want Made in the USA tools that are top quality but a less overkill warranty, and about half the price, check out Wright Tool.

>>1035027
Be very diligent about clean and protecting HF tools. They rust quickly. I left a set of wrenches in my toolbox for a few months and came back to every single one having a dusting of rust. No other tools in the box had such a problem. I just hit them with some spray oil stuff (WD-40, Liquid Wrench, whatever is close at hand), and rub them down with a shop cloth every month or so and the rust has not returned.
>>
>>1035086
>You're paying for the warranty

Oh here we go.

No they won't drive out but with the money saved I'm sure you could afford enough spares to never be stuck in a lifetime without one.

Unless op is beating fuck out of a socket day in day out taking drive shafts off trucks, he doesn't need snap on.
>>
>>1035027
I always go with a 6 point over 12. mostly because I abuse the fuck out of my sockets and have only ever split 12's before. Knock on wood.

I was eyeing those sets myself. If you ever have to put a cheater bar on one. I would like to know how it holds up.
>>
>>1035102

If i can stomach spending this much on HF tolls i am really considering...

>37 pce set $26
>1x 13 pce set in SAE $25
>1x 13 pce set in metric $25
>4 pce 1/2 drive impact extension set $10
>3 pce impact join adapter set $10

And then either the 225 pce "mechanics" socket set for $120

Or the 301 "professional mechanics" (lol) tool set.

I dont need more wrenches or screwdrivers in my shop. but i would have a dedicated loaner set or i could keep a set in the house.

fucking everything is made in china / some other shithole or is $500 for a 20 pce socket set made in america.

But the thought of blowing up to $300 on harbor freight tools is frighting.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.