[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey look at that /diy/ I did something myself. I built an 8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: DSC02707a.jpg (1MB, 4272x2848px) Image search: [Google]
DSC02707a.jpg
1MB, 4272x2848px
Hey look at that /diy/

I did something myself. I built an 8 amp lead acid battery charger Using parts from a 1960's battery charger (the transformer and circuit breaker). I vary the charging voltage with a variac since the full output of the old transformer with a modern bridge rectifier is over 17 volts DC. The old Selenium rectifiers only put out about 14vdc.

It took me about 4 hours.
>>
>>1034979
Alright, alright. Let the shit posting begin, but I for one say good work OP. May not be the most complex thing in the world, but it feels good to actually build something that works. And matching the original parameters, more or less.
>>
>>1034981
I did not want complex, I needed a charger that will WORK and not a "smart" charger that won't even try to charge a battery if it is too low.
>>
>>1034986
Agreed, especially for lead acid. Plus you used heatsinks and put shrink tubing on everything. We love seeing projects that actually worked out on /diy/, but it will probably only be a couple of minutes before we see some summer fag in here talking about how you should have used an arduino as a charge controller or a 14 volt regulator or something. Again, nice work OP.
>>
File: PICT4573.jpg (4MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
PICT4573.jpg
4MB, 3008x2000px
>>1034989
Several months ago I also built this adjustable 19vdc 10 amp regulated power supply, The transformer came from an old UPS, the regulator is an LM396k mounted to the underside CPU heat sink on top. the case was from an old Sola line conditioner. Sorry I don't have pics of the inside.

This thing will run an 18 volt sawzall without breaking a sweat.

If you can't tell, I like linear power supplies.
>>
you should trace the outline of those meters onto a piece of wood and cut the outlines out to make a face plate, OP
>>
>>1035098
at some point the whole thing will go in to a case. I just don't have one yet.
>>
>>1034979
how does it charge using variac, i thought batteries only liked DC charge.
>>
>>1035228
he's got a rectifier in there. old selenium rectifiers have a larger voltage drop and output was too high with silicon which was the replacement. thus the variac.
>>
>>1035228
The circuit is simple, A variac controls the amount of AC going to the transformer, that then goes to the bridge rectifier, the output of that goes through a self resetting circuit breaker through an amp meter to the battery. A volt meter monitors the DC voltage.
>>
>>1035232
oh i see now, this post explained it better. neat work.
>>
Do you have/need smoothing capacitors on the output? Or do lead acids not care about that?
>>
>>1035240
it is not needed, besides it would need to be about 2 farads.
>>
>>1034997
>This thing will run an 18 volt sawzall without breaking a sweat.
>10amp

Motors like that can draw 90amps if they for some reason stall. Do you have some sort of breaker to stop that from happening? The LM396k just regulates voltage right? Does the Sola keep it under 10amp?
>>
>>1035364
LM396 has current limit and overtemperature shutdown, like pretty much all IC regulators.
>>
>>1035364
The 18 volt sawzall only draw a max of about 8 amps to start and 5 to run.

I only used the case from the Sola, the guts were thrown out.

I have 2 fuses, one on the line and one on the output.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.