[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ My grandma tried to fire up a necchi supernova sewing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
Hey /diy/
My grandma tried to fire up a necchi supernova sewing machine from the late 50's to see if at least worked.
Thing is, it did lit up some auxiliary light, but when the switch was pressed, all it did was noise, just like the electric motor was jammed or didn't had enough power to start up

My suspicion is that the engine (which is as old as the sewing machine itself) is too fucked up, and you also have to consider that it has been used very few times on 220 VCA, and the engine was made for 115 VCA.

So are my suspicions right? Should i just straight ditch that engine out the way? or maybe is it something else i might be overlooking
>>
>>1034955
Its not the motor. Its the foot pedal...
>>
>>1034955
>using double the designed voltage
why do people do this kind of shit?
>>
>>1034955
Don't use 110 volt stuff on 220 systems dumbshit. Jesus.

>engine
>engine
>engine
Its a motor.
>>
First off, Motor.

Second, don't try to run the motor on a voltage it was not meant to run on.

Third, sewing machines should not sit around unused. All of the grease had turned to a rock and the oil to varnish.

To fix the machine, open it up, remove all the old hard grease. Use some long cotton swabs and alcohol. Once done apply grease to all gears. Next look up the oil points for the machine and oil it with sewing machine oil. Also check your belts, as old ones are often hard and useless. Finally plug the motor into the correct power supply and try again.
>>
>>1034955
Without the motor, does it even turn from hand?
Find out how to set the machine to lower thread spooling. Possibly by pulling out the ring at the far end of the machine a little.

I'm asking because some machines have separate settings to couple/decouple the needle and the lower thread spooler from the motor. Maybe they're just both decoupled at the moment.
>>
>>1034967
>>1034996

Just to get something straight, i didn't ran it at 220, but what i got from my grandma is that she did had run it before at that voltage (Again, without success) and even after using 110 with a voltage transformer nothing more than a buzzing occured when pressing the pedal.

>>1035044

Will try the cleaning, thanks a lot for that advice!
As for the motors: Is it posible that there might be a small tranny in the foot pedal? Or did these machines actually took straight up 110V?

>>1035114
Well, the needle dind't even budge when i cranked the hand wheel, so i'm thinking something in the middle is failing too

Also, apparently, this sewing machine was stored in a very damp deposit, and some guy who knows about these old timers told me that it was most likely that it had soaked in a lot of water from the air itself and that has most likely fucked up the motor

Anyway, will try cleaning and will keep you guys up!
Thanks for all the help!
>>
>>1035637
If the sewing machine doesn't turn by hand than the motor wont have a chance. First fix it so the machine turns by hand. Then check out the motor. Its possible the motor is fine and its just the gummed up sewing machine that is causing it to stall. That said, trying to run a stalled electric motor is a great way to destroy it. Don't run it until you get the machine itself fixed or are able to disconnect from the machine.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.