[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best ratcheting adjustable wrench on the market?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: Stanleywrench_lead.jpg (18KB, 625x407px) Image search: [Google]
Stanleywrench_lead.jpg
18KB, 625x407px
What's the best ratcheting adjustable wrench on the market?

I want to get my dad one, I'm am absolutely sick of using a regular wrench.
>>
File: PliersWrench10.jpg (253KB, 1350x440px) Image search: [Google]
PliersWrench10.jpg
253KB, 1350x440px
>>1034128
No competition. They're also vise-grips.
>>
>>1034128
How to round off your nuts and bolts the post.
>>
there are NO good open-ended ratcheting wrenches
it's a meme tool that fundamentally -can't- be good
>>
>>1034140
This.
>>
>>1034140
just checked out the youtube video for it
the self ratcheting in it looks really good.

i'll definitely get this one. thanks anon.
>>
File: s-l225.jpg (10KB, 225x169px) Image search: [Google]
s-l225.jpg
10KB, 225x169px
Stanley 85-601if it must be a conventional 'spanner' if you like. But...
>>
>>1034143
Yay. I second. Or third. Dunno. But yeah, knipex.
>>
File: download.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>1034160
...I have these which work far better than any adjustable spanner and I use them for locking threaded rod into hilti HKD fixings.
>>
>>1034141
>>1034142
Clearly you've never used >>1034140.
>>
>>1034205
that's a pliers wrench, it doesn't ratchet.
pic related is a ratcheting mechanism on an adjustable wrench, you waggle the wrench back and forth and it only turns the nut in one direction.

is this a language barrier thing?
>>
>>1034233
I think we all know what a ratchet spanner is. Most of us also know they're garbage so offered the next best thing.

If you're doing enough with nuts and bolts to require a ratchet, buy the size you need.

In the majority of applications, spanner sizes are standardised anyway -(13/17/19/21/etc)mm.
>>
>>1034233
It may not actually be "ratcheting", but you can do a ratcheting motion with it.its actually one of the stated features, and it works pretty well.
The reality is, if you want your dad to be happy and impressed with the tool, buy him something quality like the knipex.

No decent brand makes a gimmicky ratcheting adjustable wrench. You'll only find garbage by garbage brands.
The ratcheting motion of the knipex is closest you'll get to ratcheting with a real tool
>>
>>1034233
>is this a language barrier thing?
This is tool familiarity thing. I know that pliers wrenches don't have an actual ratchet mechanism. But what's this?
>you waggle the wrench back and forth and it only turns the nut in one direction.
Pliers wrenches do this. Functionally, they're ratcheting adjustable wrenches, just like what OP was asking for. And they're much better at it than the ones like your pic that actually contain ratchets.

Since you've apparently never used one, I'll elaborate. The jaws open and close a little as you open/close the handles. This lets it grip tight and release with a move of the handle. The angles and leverage work so that, once it is closed on a nut, you only have to press the "back" handle to maintain pressure and turn the nut, but light pressure in the other direction will open the jaws and release the nut. So with light hand pressure and a 60-degree swing, the wrench will grip a nut, turn it, release, open up to clear the edges and advance to the next faces, and grip again. The "ratchet" action is smooth and almost as fast as an actual ratchet, and unlike conventional wrenches, the jaws grip tightly as it turns, which prevents stripping or rounding, even if the nut is already damaged.
>>
>>1034141
Pretty much. These ass monkeys think the newest gadget is going to make their work easier. In reality a regular wrench is going to be faster than constantly resetting these once you can get basic size estimating right.
>>
>>1034128
ignore the shitty garbage and useless meme tools and just buy a set of ratcheting wrenches. you can buy a Husky set at Home Depot for like $30
>>
Crescent wrenches fucking suck, speaking as someone who uses one daily.
>>
>>1034419
they have their use which is the absolute last resort if you don't have the proper sized wrench/socket
>>
File: image.png (77KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
77KB, 300x300px
Best and worst tool ever made.

For slim nuts like in the picture I would reach for a crescent before a spanner.
>>
File: Untitled.png (320KB, 480x604px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
320KB, 480x604px
>>1034415
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-metric-flex-head-gearwrench-set-7-pc-0588587p.html#srp

is this good? it's 60% off it's normal $140 bucks.
I know, the price is very shitty, but that's canada for you.
>>
>>1034128
>best
>ratcheting
>adjustable
>wrench

Pick two.
>>
>>1034454
Yeah they are good, I have the same set. Was a gift and sadly it's metric which I don't use very often but they feel a lot better then the Husky set.

I didn't realize They are on sale again, might have to go grab the imperial set in the morning
>>
>>1034419
I bought a hazet one because it looks cool, but i pretty much only use this thing here >>1034140
>>
it works prety good
>>
>>1034128
Cresent allen seems to do the trick for me
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.