[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You wake up and find yourself in a 15th century Western European

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

File: 1356005083824.jpg (65KB, 895x578px) Image search: [Google]
1356005083824.jpg
65KB, 895x578px
You wake up and find yourself in a 15th century Western European barn.
With your modern day scientific knowledge, how would you fare?
Would the average person be able to recreate Napoleonic Technology?

What do you believe you could create based on your education and scientific skill without modern day resources, help, or environment?

I want to see what others believe they could recreate from their own memory to return to modern society.

Electric generators?
Lights?
steam engines?
smokeless powder?

Assume you are in a city, so you have a base level of civilization and resources.
>>
>>1034028
I would be dead in a week due to desease
>>
>>1034031

This. Also it would be better to just die off. Doing anything in the past would probably result in a different timeline than the one your originated from.
I wouldn't want to be burned as a wizard.
>>
>>1034031
>I would be dead in a week due to desease
It's actually more likely that people around you start dying because you're an immune carrier of endemic syphilis.
>>
>>1034028
Me and a friend actually had a discussion related to this question: If we were given an island with the natural resources to support it, with a loyal population of around 100, we should actually get quite far, except from anything relating to metalurgy, as neither of us had more than average-joe-tier knowledge on that subject.

But to answer your questions specifically:
>Electric generators
yes
>Light
Arc lights, or maybe low-durability low quality light bulbs
>steam engines
If a blacksmith could help me out, yes. I'd need someone to help shape the metal and still be sturdy
>smokeless power
No, but I'd be able to create blackpowder if I dai access to sulfur, potassium, (in addition to various common substances)

My strategy would be based mostly around engines to do work for me, as that's where I both have the most knowledge. I would, however, need a helping hand from a blacksmith, or at least I'd need to borrow his forge.
>>
>>1034034
Eh, thats why I didn't choose an island
Gives you access to blacksmiths capable of forging steel
herbalists
alchemist
carpenters
etc
>>
>>1034033
This. You're descended from people who were immune to/survived the diseases you're so worried about. And you've had immunizations for a lot of the nasties that killed people then as well, because they're still with us today. You might want to seek out a milkmaid though. She'll be ugly, but bang her until you catch her cowpox, because I'm assuming you're under 45 and haven't been immunized for smallpox. Enjoy the death and plague you spread to your forbearers!
>>
>>1034028
More likely that I'd be burned as a witch for trying.

>>1034039
That doesn't sound so bad.
>>
>>1034048
Witch burning was not a big thing in ops century. You'd probably make a boat load of money and work for a noble and be literally fought over.
>>
>wake up in 15th century
>know exactly how to make Portland cement
>die penniless because you can't bring yourself to destroy 5 centuries of beautiful architecture
>>
I try to beat Gutenberg to his moveable type printing press. Cause printers gonna print .assuming I can start 40 years earlier.
>>
>>1034028
go hang out with da vinci and work together to manipulate the fate of earth
>>
Find body of water.

Put weighed keel in a boat.

Change sail face angle

Rule the seas.

I don't know how to build a generator even with iron wire so I can't bother with any wizard shit.
>>
>>1034028
>electrical generators
Keep it simple, start with a primitive voltaic pile. Copper and zinc if it's accessible, but iron would work too. Rack and stack baby. From here it would be basically just getting enough wire to do cool things with

>lights
arc lights could be okay but would need to get some good glasswork going for tubes and whatnot.

>steam engines?
i could probably figure out an OK method for steam engines. would take awhile depending on manufacturing capabilities however.

>smokeless powders
saltpeter (or any other oxidizer), sulfur, and charcoal. not too hard to make a fucking water powered ball mill to grind up all your shit. saltpeter (KNO3) can be sourced from manure and piss decomp then filtered through plant ashes.

desu the best thing you could do is teach them about principles of crop rotation, fertilization techniques, basic machinery like windmills and principles of hygiene and bacteria.
>>
>>1034028

The worst part would be communication. English has changed quite a lot between now and then, and there is no guarantee that I would even be set in an English speaking area.

Electric generators would be a bit of a trick to get any efficiency. Could make a simple dynamo using permanent magnets (probably lodestones), but it wouldn't produce much. Could also make AC generator but would have to find some way to rectify it. Also, not having rare earth magnets would be a bitch.

Would have to find a glass blower to make bulbs for my carbon-filament lights, but honestly might just run off of oil lights instead since would probably use electricity for machinery.

Could probably make steam engine, but might skip that step since brushed DC motors would be easier for me.

Smokeless powder - no, could probably make black powder since it's not too hard.

Seriously though, not being able to speak with other people might just get you killed before you could do anything anyways
>>
File: Prince.jpg (29KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
Prince.jpg
29KB, 615x410px
Probably a chainsaw hand
>>
>Build a small castle tower using wooden pulleys and beams
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home/the-guedelon-castle-is-being-built-with-13th-century-techniques/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQBDhkBfr0
>Make a furnace to work metals and make glass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVV4xeWBIxE
>Generate electricity using seawater and other sources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnQDvkUMtfc
>Make nets from fiber and sticks to catch condensed water from fog and clouds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKXkCfWmyY
>Steambend wood to make rounded structures and furniture
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6DQve471co
>Experiment with making plastics using gas/tar, acid, plant fibers, heat and pressure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlh0YDRmZ0I

I could do lots more given time and resources but these would be a good start.
Hopefully this also inspires creativeness in others. I put in youtube links for all
these projects to show that they are feasible, although some of them might take a long time.
>>
>>1034031
More like burned at a stake or stoned to death as heretic or something on the first day because you don't know the right prayer to god that everyone learn as a kid
>>
>grow up on farm
>work in greenhouse as a teen

My crops would shit all over everyone's crops. I would have to get used to varieties of plants being different, but I would start selective breeding immediately and with my knowledge of irrigation, crop rotation, fertilization, composting, greenhouse to start seedlings, and dealing with pests, I could dominate food production pretty quickly.

I could also teach them how to increase their lifespans by decades by practicing bathroom hygiene and regular bathing. My shitty level of CPR training would honestly make me the most qualified doctor on the planet, but blood and guts make me queezy so I would just teach doctors how to do it and how to sterilize equipment with strong alcohol. I would teach them that shit like trepanning and blood letting is pretty stupid.

I couldn't make a motor with their tech, but I could explain the basic process. I could make ghetto batteries.

I used to work on steam boilers and could make some pretty unsafe pressure vessels with the help of a blacksmith, enough to drive a turbine for something simple like wood sawing.

I could make black powder, not smokeless.

I could construct a windmill and other simple machines, no idea what they had at this point in time.

Just imagine what I could make if my phone (with an offline version of wikipedia) and solar charger were teleported back with me.
>>
>>1034257
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHEdIZ282hE

until you rediscover the fact electromagnets exist and you can magnetize objects
>>
>>1034211
lead acid is just as simple and way better
Really doesn't even need a strong acid either just sulfates in water because PbSO4
>>
Also, just for the record

How to make smokeless powder

nitric acid + cotton = guncotton
nitric acid + glycerin = nitroglycerin (active ingredient in dynamite as well)

glycerin is a byproduct of soapmaking

half guncotton and half nitroglycerin with a binder give you Cordite

in this scenario you could get nitric acid from an alchemist probably, otherwise you could just electrify the air and cool it in some water.
>>
if i started with a hammer and an anvil and scrap steel i could make most hand tools needed. i have extensive knowledge on gardening and food storadge for over wintering. i know hundreds of wild edible plants and mushrooms of my local area to get me threw till the crops came in. if there is remenints of our fallen civilation i can repair most things electronical and michanical. and best of all in a new begining my bad spelling wont matter.
>>
>discussing chemical names with an alchemist
Chemistry these days pulls a lot from Latin but did they even have the concept of basic no tangible elements like nitrates? Your communication barrier will likely take years to overcome. Good luck convincing an alchemist to share his knowledge, let a lot his chemicals, with an apparent fool.

I'd go for improving simple machines. Everybody can understand a drawing. The improvements would be immediately felt in the culture. I'd be worth millions and my improvements would become local secrets. I'm not to worried about causing historical issues. Improvements to living didn't travel to quickly since town to town comms are crap and nobles have a vested interest in keeping knowledge local.
>>
>>1034028

Very well, assuming I don't die to some stupid shit like "a plague", "starvation/dehydration", or "an angry witch-hunting mob". Or any number of things that don't really cause concern for a modern first-world resident, really.

My hobbies are robotics and being cheap. Those two put together force you to do a lot of learning on industrial processes, manufacturing, and just general "how things work". I can build functional (albeit not particularly good) engines, electric motors, and mechanical devices in general, all from raw stock. Even if I'd struggle to refine a lot of the materials I'd need, this isn't prehistoric times; there's easy access to metals and people who know how to form it.

Unfortunately, I don't really do any chemistry, which squashes any hope of me getting semiconductors or polymers discovered early. What I know I'd probably struggle to communicate, and most would just laugh what I was saying off, since chemistry was very poorly-understood at that point.
>>
>>1034463
And where are you going to find the steel to make a barrel, as well as make it, that can withstand the pressures of cordite, let alone modern smokeless gunpowder? I would argue that producing even a smooth bore barrel appropriate for small arms in this time period would be a chore, not to mention producing the lock to fire it with. Black powder would be more than sufficient. And yes, I could make all of those things, even the springs and hardened face of the frizzen if it were a flintlock.
>>
>>1034069
would you let him fuck you?
>>
>>1034083
>I don't know how to build a generator even with iron wire

Why iron? Copper was old technology by the advent of the iron age.
>>
Travel to middle east, where arabs have better understanding of math and more advanced technology, and probably wouldn't be labeled a heretic wizard.
>>
>>1034572
wut
>>
>>1034566
>And where are you going to find the steel to make a barrel
Bessemer converter
>>
>>1034028
5 centuries ago in a different continent. There's a lot of issues that'd go down such as diseases because they would literally eat shit, a language barrier due to dialects from region to region, low education levels means not everyone knows the same "english" (or other nonspecific language) not to mention it's 500 year younger language. Aside from that you're undocumented and no one to vouch for you means you'd likely be labeled a foreign spy and enslaved.

So you'd either end up dead or seen as a retarded slave that may or may not be possessed.
>>
>>1034538
well IIRC correctly
spirit of niter? = nitric acid
oil of vitriol = sulfuric acid
but i don't think it would be that bad, once you get used to ye olde english; also, everyone was illiterate just about and spoke in their own unique retarded dialogue.
>>
>>1034028
Warn them of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion.

Be a known scientist in some kind of academy/institute maybe in Germany, Russia or England. Start talking about political ideas backed by my engineering knowledge as well medic ones.

Join them as a whole. Literally remove the entire world of non-white races. Apply eugenics.

At the same time I will teach about electro-magnetism, thermodynamics, all kind of engines, about lathe and manufacture principles, missiles production, basic aerodynamics, electric engineering, chemical process to get tons of products from oil, structures and modern principles of building, materials properties. And so on for two decades to the youth, let them rediscover and expand their knowledge by their own.

>be 60yo go into the last Asia campaign to genocide south Asia.
>die peacefully.
>>
>>1034307
Groovy
>>
>>1034912

No, they will just give you a goat
>>
>>1034028
I honestly thought this thread was the
>I want to build a biodegradable version of chinese lantern
thread again
>>
I have extensive knowledge in IT security, network configuration and basic PC maintenance and repair. I'd be fucked.
>>
Build a simple binary arithmietic machine using handmade relays, etc.

After I'd cracked electricity I guess.
>>
>>1035241
sweet, always wanted a goat
>>
>>1035241
Is this a milking goat or a sexing goat?
>>
>>1035534
Yes
>>
>>1035534
Is there any reason it can't be both?
>>
>>1035638
>sexing a milk goat
>milking a sex goat

what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>1034912
>>1035241
>>1035524
>>1035534
>>1035611
>>1035638
>>1035639

... we /b/tard now?
>>
i would dedicate my life to fuck jeand'arc
>>
>>1035667
*jean d'arc
>>
>>1034912
>travel to middle east
>not be treated as a heretic
wew lad it was more civilized 600 years ago
>>
>>1034039
We're not immune to cholera, which was quite common in untreated water for quite some time until the last 100 years or so.

Imagine diarrhea so bad you die from it.
>>
>>1034028
>You wake up and find yourself in a 15th century Western European barn.
>With your modern day scientific knowledge, how would you fare?
The tricky thing would be to learn the language and get somewhere that I'd be listened to. The church would be the best bet, to get fed into the university system. "I don't understand the miracle that has happened, but surely God has sent me back to you from a more advanced age to spread word of the beauty and comforts furnished by Creation."

The 15th century was reasonably advanced already. They had firearms and understood the value of powered machines to replace labor. 1492 was when Columbus sailed the ocean blue, after all. Shakespeare was 16th century, so communicating with English-speakers couldn't be too hard.

I'd be pretty awesome at this, because I have a good memory and have studied the history of science and technology quite a bit. I can recreate most of the periodic table from memory and explain where the common elements occur, along with the essentials of newtonian mechanics, thermodynamics, stoichiometry, and lots of other useful theory. I could show them voltaic piles, electrolysis, flame rectifiers and triodes, friction heating, reciprocating pumps and engines, electric motors and generators, principles of analog and digital logic, how to make nitrocellulose, etc.

I could even re-enact a fair portion of Michael Faraday's Chemistry For Fancy Lads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0MHZ4jb4A

I think I'd be a progress bomb.
>>
File: 1440690424220.jpg (232KB, 660x728px) Image search: [Google]
1440690424220.jpg
232KB, 660x728px
>>
>>1034039

The diseases we're immune to have hugely mutated from their past versions. Our immune system wouldn't recognise them. We'd all be fucked.
>>
>>1034257
Just act mute.

>tfw you're black in 15th century developed world
then you truly don't last a day
>>
>>1034211

Aside from the germ theory of disease, they had all of the technology you listed.
>>
>>1036545

Western Europe knew of blacks and would have met the odd merchant. There's a record of a man befriending William I by claiming to be an Indian prince. I don't think history records his skin colour though. He may have been a white fraudster.
>>
something that everyone seems to forget ITT

it's that if you're over 170cm or 5'8 you're literally a giant placed in the 15th century.

Enjoy being treated as a living mountain.
>>
File: raganu-dedzinasana.jpg (2MB, 2735x3080px) Image search: [Google]
raganu-dedzinasana.jpg
2MB, 2735x3080px
>>1034211
This is pretty much how it ends
>>
>>1036551
I'd bring modern firearms. Reliable ones like a shield and AK. Screw accuracy desu
>>
>>1034028
>Smokeless powder
I could do this one, and even could pull the constituent chemicals out of naturally occuring minerals WOOT background in analytical chemistry!!!!
>Electric generators
Maybe - I've rewound one electric motor successfully, and made some guitar pickups - but have never made a generator, I could assay, mine, and smelt the copper - so that's good, I could assay, mine and smelt the iron, so covered there, I could not make bearings myself. I would have difficulty making wire out of the copper ( I mean MAYBE I could figure it out if I had enough time?) so, generator would pretty much go like that...
>Steam engine
Yes, if I could get a smith - I could do this, I know enough metallurgy we could even get the steel pretty well figured out.
>Bessemer furnace (Bonus)
Hell yeah
>Lights
If we're generous about what kinds of incandescent light we'll accept, yeah - any lightbulb I make is not going to be good. but I can get pretty pure materials, so that'd give me an advantage over most other modern people.
>>
Find a church, start praying to ingratiate self with monks.

Sketch basic inventions like screwcutting lathe, milling machine and so forth. This establishes you as useful. No hurry to make the advanced shit.

You can invent many firearm improvements. War always sells. Flintlock then percussion caps come to mind.

As your communication skills improve you'd have a good gig serving the powerful and forming teams of tradesmen and alchemists to fill in any blanks by cooperative development.
>>
>>1035813
Sure but you know atleast to cook your water right? I mean thats not too hard of a concept
>>
>>1034338
I would say it would be like today where the countryside actually did the burnings but the cities where more liberal a bit

I dont really see burnings in packed cities as practical anyway
>>
I'm an ER doc, so my contributions would all be medical. The biggest of which would be the introduction and importance of proper hand hygiene.
>>
>>1034572
He was a bottom. Anon would be doing the fucking.
>>
File: 1469736259778.png (17KB, 201x240px) Image search: [Google]
1469736259778.png
17KB, 201x240px
>build gas engine
>put it on a carriage
Motherfuckers wont know what hit them
>>
>>1034339
>I couldn't make a motor with their tech, but I could explain the basic process. I could make ghetto batteries.

>I used to work on steam boilers and could make some pretty unsafe pressure vessels with the help of a blacksmith, enough to drive a turbine for something simple like wood sawing.

You're over thinking things. Make a water wheel and pwered saws, power looms, etc.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.