[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got two of these plywood things that I was told to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: WP_20160805_19_07_57_Pro_LI.jpg (1MB, 2672x1504px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160805_19_07_57_Pro_LI.jpg
1MB, 2672x1504px
I've got two of these plywood things that I was told to paint black. Well, I figured that painting plywood is a waste of paint, so I decided to apply a wood veneer to it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00755CBY6/
Apparently Home Depot does not stock wood veener (or plastic sheet), so I'm going to be ordering everything online. For that purpose, I'm here to make sure that I'm not missing anything so I can order it all at once.

I figure I'll need wood filler to cover the screws and the imperfections in the plywood, especially along the sides.
Everywhere I look seems to recommend using contact cement, but I'm not sure how much I'll need to cover the surface of two ~10" x 26" x 2" volumes. I'll be using this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M2SKNU/

Since I'm not a woodworker, I don't exactly have tools, so I'll be using whatever I find lying around that's similar enough to a roller to stamp the veneer down.
>>
>>1033853
*~10" x 13" x 2" volumes
>>
>>1033853
>I figured that painting plywood is a waste of paint, so I decided to apply a wood veneer to it.

that seems like the opposite
>>
>>1033859
Certainly but the room this thing is going in has some quite expensive finish to it.
This plywood thing already sticks out as it is, so I think plywood painted black would stick out quite a bit.
>>
>>1033860
How about covering it in a heavy fabric or leather?

You can use a rolling pin to squish the air out. Too. Biggest thing is cutting it. Id get a veneer knife to try to remove all the variables of fucking it up by something as simple as cutting it.
>>
>>1033864
The room is more of a facility rather than a living space, so I think anything more than wood veneer would probably be egregious.

I'll definitely add a veneer knife to the list. I was actually worrying about how I'd cut the contours precisely.
>>
>>1033853
What you need is iron on veneer that you can use an iron, blow dryer or heat gun to apply.

Order it from rockler, its a little pricey however they are bookmatched so the grain will match and look really nice.

Make sure you get a sharp utility knife to trim the edges.
>>
>>1033865
Use a straight edge! For cutting. You cannot do it free hand. U dont have 30 years experience.

Also canvas or heavy fabrics are pretty hard to fuckup. And its 7 dollars at joans fabrics for 1x1 yard of canvas. And if you're feeling crafty. You can paint on it too.
>>
File: 1280px-Box-cutter.jpg (85KB, 1280x731px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Box-cutter.jpg
85KB, 1280x731px
>>1033860
>Veneer knife
Just use pic related, no need to get fancy. Veneer cuts like thick cardboard really. Cut against ruler or some other long straight object for maximum precision. You can even use scissors.
>>
>>1033853

Don't use wood filler for covering up the screws/defects, use bondo, then sand everything nice and smooth...

Get a quart of latex contact and a cheapass 2" brush, veneer the edges first, the top last...
>>
>>1034035
Bondo doesnt flex well.. And plywood moves A LOT. especially the kind OP has. Mainly because they are cheap on the glue...
>>
>>1033853
>screw holes were not countersunk

> I was told to paint black
>but I ain't gunna since i can't follow directions at all

Quality.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.