[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ quick question .... is home casted aluminium safe to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (225KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
225KB, 1600x1200px
Hey /diy/ quick question .... is home casted aluminium safe to eat and drink from....? I really want to cast an Al cup but I'm a bit sceptic about drinking from it... I will cast it in greensand and the Al comes from soda cans....
>>
Its not safe, its to soft and brittle, anything that scrapes it, will loosen small chips that you will consume with whatever you put in it
>>
File: Alum-Pot.jpg (1MB, 2016x1848px) Image search: [Google]
Alum-Pot.jpg
1MB, 2016x1848px
>>1033492
But what is the difference between fabric casted aluminium and home casted......? we use aluminium pots and pans
>>
>>1033498
you mean factory casted not fabric casted?
>>
>>1033490
aluminum cans have a plastic liner in them, don't they?
>>
>>1033502
I doubt it, but if there were it would melt off and become gunk that is removed before the Al is casted... I believe that the AL that is casted is at least 98% pure Al
>>
>>1033490
it's fine. just don't be stupid and leave your acidic drink in there longer than a few hours

i've got a set of store bought aluminum measuring cups
>>
>>1033502
Yep, epoxy layer to keep acidic beverages and food from messing with the Al
>>
>>1033490
You should never allow food to touch aluminum. It is bad for your health. Only morons use it for food products.
>>
>>1033524

Your antiperspirant most probably has aluminium in it.

>HURR EXTERNAL

It is perpetually on your flipping skin you are going to absorb a good chunk.
>>
>>1033490

If you polish the inside surfaces, it's probably reasonably safe. You mostly need to be concerned with the physical damage a significant metal chip could do to your teeth or GI tract.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/PHS/PHS.asp?id=1076&tid=34
>>
>>1033500
Please tell me you meant fabric casted. This is great.
>>
>drinking from an artificial insemination cup
>>
>>1033490
I wouldnt actually use the cup.

Once you cast it and polish it or however you want to work it you could anodize it. This will create a layer of aluminium oxide on the surface which is both harder and more resistant to chemical etching
>>
>>1033490
Bare aluminum is still considered safe to drink from***, but using aluminum is still a crappy idea.

Aluminum doesn't cast very well (it doesn't capture details well, and tends to suffer from air pockets in corners and thin spots in the casting). It also is very soft (it scratches easily) and it tarnishes badly.

Aluminum cups and pans are usually made by either spin-forming or stamping.

If you want to cast anything that looks nice, go buy some pewter instead.
Pewter will cost a bit of money but it is a metal alloy that is specifically made JUST to cast well.
Modern pewter is also safe to eat and drink from (ever seen pewter beer steins??? look at how thin they are cast, and how much details they have,,,,).
It melts at a much lower temperature, it captures details much better and when cooled it is much harder, doesn't tarnish and won't scratch nearly as easily.

***The health link with aluminum was that Alzheimer's patients are often found to have a higher-than-normal level of aluminum present in their brains. Medical science has not yet been able to figure out which one causes the other tho.
>>
>>1033620
I want to cast an old Viking cup so the roughness and the tarnished look would look perfect for the cup..... My one friend is holding a Viking party and asked me to help with the decorations and I just wanted to ensure that it would be safe :D

Thanx guys and girls, the post with the cdc link also really helped
>>
DO YOU WANT ALHIMIZERS?

...I forgot how to spell it.
>>
>>1033542
i dont know if this was a thing i usa
but in germany a study that showed that it couses breastcancer was pushed throught the news
now every transpirant uses silicia oxide or other replacements and have a big sticker no aluminium.
>>
>>1033542
i don't wear anti-perspirant, you've been fooled

it is the reason men in their 50s have to take testosterone now
>>
Yeeee
>>
>>1033620
>Medical science has not yet been able to figure out which one causes the other tho.
I doubt Alzheimers turns your brain into an aluminum magnet.
>>
>>1033878
Why?
>>
File: CrILrEh[1].jpg (292KB, 1423x2136px) Image search: [Google]
CrILrEh[1].jpg
292KB, 1423x2136px
>>1033876
>i don't wear anti-perspirant, you've been fooled
>>
>>1033524
Hope you don't eat at restaurants or eat any precooked foods. They are almost all prepared on aluminum cookware because it allows things to cook faster.

>It is bad for your health.
Also there has never been a single credible study that has limited aluminum cookware with any kind of condition, illness or health problem. All those 'aluminum causes alzheimer's' news stories from a few years back was just sensationalist bullshit.
>>
>>1034514
>restaurants
>aluminum cookware

Every one I've worked at used stainless steel everything. Just saiyan.
>>
>>1033878
>I doubt Alzheimers turns your brain into an aluminum magnet.
(shrugs)
Lots of studies have tested the direct-causation theory on animals, and it was not found to be true.
Aluminum might be involved, but it is not the only factor required. What else is involved is not known.
>>
>>1033502
They do but it's to protect the aluminum from the soda, not the soda from the aluminum.
>>
>>1033502

No they fucking do not, it's just aluminum. When a piece of pure aluminum comes in contact with the oxygen from the air it forms Al2O3, an extremely unreactive, hard, conformal layer on top of the aluminum. Nothing penetrates it, not even the weak acids in soda.
>>
>>1033490

Yes and no. Aluminum is harmless to you and won't hurt you. Using a homemade, self-cast aluminum piece of cookware wouldn't be bad as a result of the aluminum, but instead may be bad based on whatever impurities might remain after the casting. How pure was the casting sand? Did you fully clean your aluminum cans before using them? Did you slag your molten aluminum properly? Those are more pertinent questions. Further, if the finish is rough small pieces could conceivably (though I think it'd probably be fairly unlikely) break off and get in your body. Again, that wouldn't be bad because they're aluminum, but because they'd likely be sharp and could cause internal bleeding, hemorrhaging, etc.
>>
>>1033502
Yes. And the reason for that is because aluminum makes things taste like shit. That is why drinking from a can use to be only for poor people.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.