[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Designed a desk and I want to know what are my options for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Part1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Part1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
Designed a desk and I want to know what are my options for the materials. $100-$150~ budget.

Also, what are some good ways to attach the legs so that they can be taken off easily for transport?
>>
>>1033421
>Designed

I recommend you reclaim some good old oak planks for the surface. Take it to your workshop, plane, glue, plane you know the drill.

For the legs I recommend steel pipes, weld them together, I'm sure you know how.

For the leg attachment use long piano hinges, ideally steel ones that'll weld to the legs. By some springy clips to stop the legs folding when in use.
>>
>>1033421
>1500+ dollar computer kit
>Seeks cheapest possible setup

Go to IKEA amerifag
>>
>>1033426
>>1033427
Thought you guys were supposed to be helpful.

Why shit on me for no reason? Did I break when of your board rules?
>>
>>1033428
I'll be helpful!

Your design, if made of anything but cast iron, would fall over if anyone leaned on it from the side. You need a support between the two back legs at half height.

One thing at a time, post the redesigned image.
>>
>>1033432
I can do that easily enough. I was considering also putting right triangles or buttresses between the legs and the desk surface to give it support.

The legs are 2 x 2 inch pieces in the design.
>>
>>1033428
Ok think about what I'm implying. Did you give us any context as to your skill level? What tools do you have? Do you have space to work our are you building this in a tiny apartment? How much time do you have to complete this project; money can be saved with labour.

Everything I suggested was viable.

Go to a hardware store, come up with some ideas, and then we'll lead you on from there.
>>
>>1033421
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69162599/
>>
>>1033428
I agree the IKEA guy, go get an IKEA if you want cheap and easy to take off for transport, if you think we are shitting on you, we are not, if you still think we are shitting on you, go to /b/
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1033421
I know it's not the prettiest but, I've had a similar situation with needing a big ish desk that needs to be able to be compacted down, and I also tried to use wood I could get scraps or damaged from local hardware store used a thick dowel to attach each leg, just slides in nice and tight. Stable enough for me
>>
>>1033446
fucking all sideways...
what kind of shit you have at your disposal ? tool wise workshop etcc ?
>>
>>1033453
What did you spend to build your desk?

The basic woodworking tool set costs 300 dollars plus.

Inb4 OP can't pirate a 16 ounce hammer off of piratebay like he did his graphics software.

The budget is simply too narrow for this project.
>>
>>1033463
i got the top board for 50$ AUD
and the all the legs and dowel for about 40$

so 90$

already had the tools and poly coat.
but at the very minimum just need
- sandpaper
- pull saw or flush cut saw
- tape measure
- drill and bits
- and some wood glue / finish
>>
>>1033465
That's pretty neat. Flush cutting is nice.

The only thing is, I don't trust myself to drill the holes straight enough for the legs. Did you use a pillar drill or some kind of jig?
>>
>>1033421

That design is fine. My dad built a desk with that exact design and style of leg in 1998 when we got our first dell.

The legs were made of 1x2 box steel and welded with mitred corners. The top was made of a white hammered finish kitchen top and he had the edges banded.

The legs were fixed to the top with coach/lug bolts.

We've moved house and it's moved room no end of times. It's still standing as solid as ever and it's out lasted any other desk I've had.
>>
>>1033465
lean on your table anon.
I dare you.

you dont even have a basic amount of bracing in the form of shelf brackets. its like you dont even understand how a lever works and why a single fucking dowel isnt going to provide any kind of structural strength.
>the desk is used to support literally nothing.
good.

>>1033421
you're fucked is what i think.
you're just not going to be able to afford it.
>custom steel fabrication
you've already blown out your budget before youve looked at a surface.
>>
>>1034612

OP. This guy is exaggerating. Disregard.
>>
>>1033421

I like your design. It's simple and pleasantly aesthetic. Do you have any cross members? If not you run the risk of the table shifting one way or another lengthwise.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.