[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to buy an educational toy for my child to teach her about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Electronics.png (495KB, 1475x709px) Image search: [Google]
Electronics.png
495KB, 1475x709px
I want to buy an educational toy for my child to teach her about electronics. Something to teach her but still kinda like lego.

Any ideas? Help?

I'm a dumbass that could benefit from it too lol
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Elenco-200-in-One-Electronic-Project-Lab/dp/B0002AHR04

https://www.amazon.com/Snap-Circuits-SC-300-Electronics-Discovery/dp/B0000683A4

As a child I had a 60-in-1, 200-in-1, and a 300-in-1. Depending on how small she is, you will want to supervise, but these are all good intros.
>>
>>1033212
Can vouch for snap circuits.
>>
>>1033212

What about sautering?

That's cool but dangerous for lil ones.

Should I get a kit where you build a calculator?

Is that too much?
>>
>>1033239
None of those that I linked require soldering (or only require a minimal in initial setup, which you could do). I learned around age 8 (I think, been over two decades ago), but you'd need to use your own judgement on if they can perform it safely. In any case, I would say under 12 they should only with proper supervision. If you let them handle a knife and cook with a stove with supervision: they can solder.

I think multi-use kits like I linked are a bit better as you get more bang per buck, and really with a 300-in-1 it's a proper breadboard and set of components. You can work with her to modify or create the exercises in the booklet, or find new circuits online or in other books and only need to maybe get a few extra parts. If you find she outgrows the limited space, she's already primed for using standard breadboards.

Depending on how much you are able to spend, also invest in some basic test equipment. At the very least get a multimeter and a common project is a logic probe. Learning to track down mistakes, loose connections, and buggy components in her work is a huge part of learning electronics.

If you have the budget, an oscilloscope would be a welcome addition (I suggest a DSO, but a second-hand analog is fine iff you know it's working), but is far from required. However, it can help make things more visual and if you get into modifying the stock circuits, you and her can explore how changing values of components changes the behavior.
>>
>>1033209
Well op. I found a bunch of books and some super awesome play kits at radioshack awhile back. Sadly i was above the knowledge for all of them but i am going soon to buy them for my nieces and nephews. Recently my wife said my 3 year old nephew had a problem with jumping at any and all buttons and switches he could get ahold of. I built a wooden box with a lot of reandom switches and lights and fans and just noise maker that turn in and off and he lost his f'n mind... its a good interest to fuel op. And i am no genious but the "kits" at radioshack have plug in boards so you can rewire many simple circuits. If i had access to this as a kid i may be on a way better path. Ill find some links and pics. But my internet is sketchy. In any case 100% take a printout or paraphrase your first post to any radioshack employee. They will shou you a few books and like 5 kits. You wont regret it op.

In any case good luck!
>>
>>1033209
And there it is OP! Google "radioshacl electronics learning lab" or similar. Find your price range and get nuts man. I envy you. Keep up the great fathering.
>>
>>1033209
Also. I am a c average student and built a remote control lawn mower recently. After being shocked many times and nearly losing a close friendto a 440volt bite i highly suggest just playing with simple circuits and low voltages for now. To this day i won't wire up an outlet in my house but i can build a remote control 10 second drag car...
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467399306707.jpg (93KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467399306707.jpg
93KB, 540x960px
>>1033264
Not super impressive i know. But it was a large and difficult learning curve. So long as you stick to low voltage projects and leave them in a place where they can explode into flames with no consequence (like a metal table or concrete driveway) you should have no worries. 99% or more of the time if you dont have any load beaaring electronics like a capacitor and you take the batteries out amd make sure the ends arent touching anything you are golden.

My dumb ass shocked myself a lit as a kid learning the hard way. Experimenting with briken vcrs and ceiling fans and neon sign transformers. You may actually save a life or two by doing what you are doing. My oarents just said dont stick wires in the outlet. My dumb ass figured they would get mad or spank me. Not, i will die or burn the house down...
>>
>>1033209
I'm surprised no one has mentioned arduino yet. I had a 300 in 1 kit as a kid too, but this is the future after all, and times are different from when we were kids.

If a kid wants to be competitive in the future, it's a good idea to teach them to code now. I bought an arduino and starter kit for a friend's kid. He was maybe 11 at the time. He absolutely loved it. I went the extra mile and included a second arduino uno, some extra beeadboard and components, a cheap ass multimeter, and stuffed it all in a new tool bag. Since then, he has built several of the projects and has learned to code a little bit. A truly valuable investment in my opinion.
>>
>>1033257

I am NOT a great father.

Its not about anything like that.

Its just learning
>>
>>1033270

Go home, shoop.... You're drunk. And spelling werds wrangly.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.