[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /diy/ I have a little problem I can't seem to figure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Hi /diy/ I have a little problem I can't seem to figure out. My 80USD RatShack Voltmeter keeps arc-ing when I attempt to measure the voltage on this schematic. The input is 17 volts from an old laptop power brick and I have the volt meter set to use the 10amp fuse side. Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be helpful as I know nothing about electronics let alone designing power supplies. Thanks.
>>
>>1032734
Really it's just two 7805's wired individually to 2 fans and a diode at the end on the ground side of one of the fans. The diode will act as a bypass when I want the fans to spin EXTRA fast.
>>
>>1032734
>My 80USD RatShack Voltmeter keeps arc-ing when I attempt to measure the voltage on this schematic.

What do you mean, arcing? You mean an actual spark?
>>
>>1032741
Well the volt meter turns off for a second and then I see a spark on the tip of the positive lead.
>>
>>1032734
Are you trying to measure current or voltage?
If you are trying to measure current, you aren't trying to just stick the leads across positive and negative are you? If so, you are doing it wrong (and causing a short circuit), and must measure current through your load (IOW, connect the meter in series instead of parallel).
>>
>>1032734
>I have the volt meter set to use the 10amp fuse side
Set the meter to 20 VOLTS DC
Plug the black lead into the COM jack on the meter.
Plug the red lead into the VOLTS/OHMS jack on the meter.
>>
>>1032761
the power seems to flow inbetween the meter the circuit but the meter doesn't read anything.
>>
>>1032754
voltage
>>
>>1032764
If you have the lead in the 10A socket, it is connected to the current measuring circuit, which will short circuit it like >>1032754, even if you have the knob set to voltage.

To measure voltage, it must be in the volts/ohms/capacitance socket, like >>1032761 says.
>>
Shoulda got a meter with jack shutters... I think there's some $40 - $50 Uni-T models that have them.
>>
>>1032827
Or maybe not... I thought I saw one of the cheaper common brands that had them, but I can't remember it now.

Anyway:
you can't use just any two jacks when you use a multimeter; the jacks to use depends on the meter and what you are measuring. OP should probably go search for the multimeter instructions online (for his specific meter!) and read them.

Some meters try to help you from making this mistake.
Some meters will beep: Fluke is one brand that does this. I dunno any others right off.

Some meters have jacks that light up to indicate which two you should be using. The Mastech MS8268 is one that has this. It also beeps too, some reports say (I don't got one). It costs less than $30 on aliexpress and is a popular model.

Some meters have symbols on the LCD display to show which jacks you should use. Some Uni-T models do this... On aliexpress the UT58A is $28, the UT58D is $38 and the UT58E is $52.

Some meters have jack shutters, that physically block the wrong jacks so you can't ever make this particular mistake. The HoldPeak meters are one cheap brand that has this. The HP890CN only costs $25 on aliexpress. There's other models at $40 - $50 - $60 too.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.