[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone else noticed that exposed ceilings are a growing trend?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Has anyone else noticed that exposed ceilings are a growing trend? All of the beams, pipes, ducts, wire, and conduit are wide open and usually painted the same color (unless codes don't allow certain things to be painted). I've seen this in restaurants, beauty salons, office spaces, and even classrooms. It's making it harder on me because now I have to make conduit look good in places that used to hide it.

How do you like this trend? I don't know what to think of it in terms of looks.
>>
>>1032711
yes and they look shitty, also they tend to harbor a lot of dust and crap that can fall into your food as you eat unless properly kept clean.
>>
It's some hipster bullshit, like having apartments in old industrial spaces used to be. Yes it looks shitty. Yes it allows a lot more space for gobs of dust and shit to accumulate (and eventually fall from). But the masses are retarded, and it is "in" right now.
>>
I think it looks awful. I think that it comes from hipsters living in old brick lofts with retro fitted conduit and duct work. once people figures out retards would pay more money for a less finished look it took of from there.

Although I dispose it would make maintenance much easier.
>>
>>1032711
If it's in a wide and high-ceiling'd room, preferably with concrete walls, then I don't mind it, otherwise
(like in the OP) it's hideous.
>>
>>1032711
It looks good, otherwise it won't be used. It also shows you the workmanship of the services.

The real reason is it maximizes ceiling height to make the space seem bigger and feel more comfortable, and also "free decoration" when you don't need to add stuff on top of a plain ceiling. Also, it looks good when used right.

It doesn't have any acoustic properties but this is not important in most cases. The exposed services is just another aesthetic. Dust is not a problem as long as it is cleaned regularly.

To say it looks bad is just hipster because it is used everywhere, but hipsters dislike anything mainstream on purpose, amirite.
>>
>>1032711
If you are going for that look it needs sheet metal not that foil ducting
>>
When i lived alone i was going to do my whole apartment like that until a friend pointed out it wouldnt resell.
I plastered every wall and made everything magnolia instead.
Sold for more than double what i bought it for.
Pleased i didnt go 'industrial' after all.
>>
>>1032711
I haven't seen anything quite like what OP's pic shows.

Semi-related: for a while I worked at a place that was in a refurbbed industrial building, re-done as office space. There was 6 different units (separate leasees) in the building.
The building looked pretty kitschy, with all the piping and what electrical lines were left in place. Many in odd locations.
The walls were left bare brick and the floors were sanded and were repaired as necessary, but were still mostly original.
The exterior door for each unit was a modern well-built one, but the interior doors were all vintage stuff, many of them that slid sideways on a hanging rail.

It all looked very interesting.... the problem was, there was NO noise control at all.
There was no ceilings at all--when you looked up, you were looking at the bottom of the floor planks for the floor above you.
Many of those planks had 1/8" gaps between them, and you could look up (or down) and see people moving around on the floors above and below you.
If you were quiet, you could hear everything they were saying. Any spilled coffee soaked anything on the next floor down.

I dunno how much it cost.
It looked nice, and was in a pretty decent part of the city--but it really didn't work that well for commercial office space.
And if it was changed to apartments, I sure as fuck wouldn't be renting there.
>>
>>1032804
This trend started from commercial retail fit-outs

Their really is no craftsmanship in it at all. Just replicating a fast hassle free work environment.
>>
>>1032711
I really like it for office spaces, but they require much more cleaning because of all the dust that can accumulate.

But as long as the dust is kept down, I love them.
>>
>>1032711
They are shitholes.
>>
File: TOFU-architects[1].jpg (80KB, 650x962px) Image search: [Google]
TOFU-architects[1].jpg
80KB, 650x962px
>>1032711
You need to get the lighting right for them to work well in a restaurant / residential setting. You want all your lighting to be directed downwards so it doesn't highlight your ducts and ceiling. Op's pic is a prime example of it done wrong. Those chandeliers are reflecting off those shitty ducts and that ugly ass black ceiling. Also the ceiling doesn't match the rest of the interior, the furniture looks like it belongs on someones living room.

I think it works well in office spaces and where you have interesting ceiling structure / roof trusses which you want to leave to exposed. Paint it all white or black up there, use down lighters and light shades .
and for god sake make sure it fits with the interior style you are going for.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.