[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I saw this chair in a store the other day. I wanted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /diy/,

I saw this chair in a store the other day. I wanted it, but don't want to spend $600 on it. What skills so I need to learn to make my own? How would you go about making it? I was thinking that i'd make a pine and plywood frame and then use thin aluminum for the outside, and just use faux leather/pleather for the seat.

What skills do I need for this? any tips?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Here's another picture.
>>
>>1032497
It might be easier to just buy a second hand leather armchair and then "fit" the metal to it rather than try to build one from scratch.

BTW $600 is actually pretty cheap for a designer piece of furniture, unlike Ikea shit you won't see much devaluation on it after you buy it, and years to come it might even go up in price if it's a limited run!
>>
>>1032497
600 is a really good deal for that actually
>>
>>1032497
He could ask $2000 or more for that chair easily
>>
I bought that chair a year ago. it was not 600 dollars.
>>
Im suspecting, this is one of those 'everything looks expensive desigenr hand-made, but is actually mass-produced China/Korea/etc shit' furniture chains. I dont think would survive too much close inspection, other side, if you have no experience/tools/never built anything? $600 wil look very cheap indeed, by the time you have mustered the skills and materials to build anything near remotely resembling that.
>>
>>1032500
>>1032539
>>1032545
>>1032551
>>1032563

Turns out the chair is $1500-3000 (https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod60107).

It only further reinforces my point. Anyone have any ideas on what to do?
>>
>>1032497
> I was thinking that i'd make a pine and plywood frame and then use thin aluminum for the outside, and just use faux leather/pleather for the seat.

Making a frame and covering outside with aluminium should be raltively easy, but I doubt you can upholster it yourself if you have no expirience.
>>
>>1032579
person that bought it a year ago here.

the quality is excellent and leather work is very professionally done. just buying the materials is easily half of what you'll buy it for completed.

basically just buy it if you want it, you wont regret it. if you're on here asking how to make it, you're doomed. don't even waste your time or money.
>>
Learn to upholster in leather.
>>
>>1032497
>>1032498
>>1032539
>>1032545
>>1032551
>>1032579
>>1032599

Jesus fuck all of you go kill yourselves. I know there are threads on selling dumb ugly shit to hipsters, but the people who buy that dumb ugly shit are not welcome here.
>>
File: jag sofa.jpg (180KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
jag sofa.jpg
180KB, 1280x960px
>>1032497
Go find an auto breakers anon, you will be looking for either an old jag or a merc with clean leather seats, use the front seat to form the back and seat of the armchair, now build your frame around that and cover the frame in your metal, use leather salvaged from the other seats to cover the trim pieces like the arms.

Picture mildly related.
>>
File: carmchair.jpg (3MB, 2001x2543px) Image search: [Google]
carmchair.jpg
3MB, 2001x2543px
>>1032648
a slightly better representation.
>>
>>1032639
>opinions
>>
>>1032648
That's a fucking genius idea. Thank you!
>>
File: senpai.gif (104KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
senpai.gif
104KB, 600x338px
>>1032749
Feel free to praise me more senpai
>>
>>1032648
>Go find an auto breakers anon, you will be looking for either an old jag or a merc with clean leather seats,
yeah, in the year 19-fucking-76, maybe..

>>1032796
and stop (You) begging, its unseemly.
>>
If you find a leather seat that's all fucked up, look up leather seat restoration kits. They'll leave it looking pretty good. Or you could have them reupholstered.
>>
>>1032497
>>1032498
That thing looked a lot better in the thumbnails.
>>
File: EAiPtKP[1].jpg (128KB, 646x630px) Image search: [Google]
EAiPtKP[1].jpg
128KB, 646x630px
>>1032878
if you consider a ships WC - >>1032498 -
'better', then yeah. Probably only truly appreciated irl tho. I mean, who wouldnt want their entire living room hugged in aluminum accented with exposed steel screws?
>>
>>1032917
Oh that is hideous.
Why isn't the metal work one nice smooth sheet?
>>
>>1032648
Front seats will be worn out. Look for rear 2+2 seats those never get used
>>
>>1032936
Because it's a piece of shit with improperly done metalwork. Hipsters should buy many of them.
>>
>>1032938
This.

I bolted a car seat to an old power recliner base and like it. No home chair has the engineering and durability of a car seat.
>>
>>1032945
the one i own has way better metal work than the one pictured. maybe op found it at a outlet store and thats why it's 600usd as he claims.

i'm not a hipster at all. i thought it was beautiful in person, i bought it with cash and put it in the den in my house that i own in full. how's your moms basement treating you?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.