[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I am a 1st year Mittleider gardener. One of our

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

Hey guys, I am a 1st year Mittleider gardener.

One of our tools is a Tin can that we use for a few purposes in the garden. But it rusts out really fast.

I keep one in my fertilizer bucket and it is full of chemical fertilizer salts that corrode the tin in no time. We use the tin can like a scoop to measure out how much fertilizer to add per row.

I am wondering what can I do to protect the can from rusting so fast ? What would be durable against strong fertilizer salts. What kind of finish would stand up to that ?

Just paint it with some kind of spray paint maybe

Or a clear coat, But I dont want the salts to make it flake off.
>>
>>1032377
use a plastic one

or coat it with pickup truck bed liner spray
>>
>>1032401

Yea we use the tin can over plastic because its more sturdy, and its so easy to find a can to use.

Its harder to find a small container of plastic made of thick strong walls.

But I just remembered I have a can of Plasti-dip spray on paint. Its not as good as the bedliner stuff but it might work in the same way.
>>
I got a new can and sprayed a coat of the Plasti-dip on it.

You have to wait about 30 mins between coatings and I wanna give it at least 3 or 4 sprays.

I just weeded my garden and the tomato plants are over 7 feet tall.

Usually I do organics and my plants have never been bigger then 4 to 4 1/2 feet. But this year in the same grow area they are doing much better because I have used the Mittleider method.
>>
File: OSC125d.jpg (112KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
OSC125d.jpg
112KB, 520x390px
Mittleider gardeners use a Two way or Stirrup Hoe.

You use it like your vacuuming cleaning by pushing back and forth and it cuts the weeds at their base.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (118KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
118KB, 1280x720px
This is the one I bought and I put it on a handle myself.

My handle came with a Varnish that I sanded off and then I rubbed boiled linseed oil into my handle.

Yes I been watching Wranglestar and LDSprepper.
>>
>>1032432
I farm in Maine and we call it a scuffle hoe. Definitely top ten favourite weeding implements tho
>>
>Just get a 330ml or 500 ml coke bottle.
>Cut a bit off the very top.
>Use your tin can and fill it to the correct height.
>Cut again at that level

Or

>Just get a 330ml or 500 ml coke bottle.
>Read the capacity of the tin cans you use
>Guess the height on your bottle
>Cut there

No need to overthink the piece of trash you use to scoop out the fertilizer.

I am sure there are better things you can worry about rather than the trial and error of improving the tin can.
>>
>>1032447

Lots of other people have brainstormed and came up with the tin can as the best thing to use.

We also use one as a watering can where we drill out holes in the bottom and we scoop out nutrient rich water out of a bucket with it and let the drops rain down on small germinating seedlings or seedling trays.

I just dont like all the rust staining from the can on my hands or gloves. And I am sure that the rust also gets into the fertilizer.

I have sprayed 3 coasts of the plasti dip stuff and I will see how that goes when it fully cures.
>>
>>1032455
I personally have a lot of coffee cups, thanks to my wife who can't say no to something on sale, even though we already have dozens... They even have a convenient handle, and stoneware won't rust OP. Hell, give me your address and I'll send you a lifetime supply of fertilizer applicators! Mostly joking...
>>
>>1032490

We feed fertilizer at .5 oz per linear foot.

With two soil beds that are 30 feet in length the recommended dosage per row is 15 ounces or just 1 pound of weekly feed fertilizer.

A large soup can works for this. And we do weigh it to make sure.
>>
>>1032513
>weekly feed fertilizer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb1LEAEr1rE
>>
I use plastic containers that are used to hold coffee, they are fairly sturdy and don't oxidize like the tin cans do.
>>
>>1032444
I gotta get one of these. I've been doing it all by hand.
>>
>>1032870
>weeding by hand
That's for suckers. I'd also recommend a skoe/swoe for taller stuff, makes it easy to just cut it off at the base. Scuffle hoe is best for small stuff, which is ideally all you'll have with regular maintenance
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.