[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a 75 HP (electric) air compressor that got vandalized.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: gun-turret.jpg (148KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
gun-turret.jpg
148KB, 800x450px
I have a 75 HP (electric) air compressor that got vandalized. Kinda want to make it run off an engine instead of three phase so I can sandblast with it and shit. Anyone know what it takes to get an old vehicle engine running out of a car?

Also could I turn the 3phase motor into a generator as well?
>>
You'll need a coupling, a tin of start ya basted and fuel. Just get a cheap carbonated engine or if money is no issue a diesel from a small tractor/boat.

As for the generator, nope. You need a wired armature for that, induction motors just have a big lump of steel.
>>
If you get a carburettor engine or a mechanical pump diesel its very feasible. You are going to need some pressure activated clutch also. You will need a governor control unit too.

I've seen plenty of automotive engines used for irrigation pumps but those are pretty much constant load so require no governor.
>>
>>1032283
Highly reccoment old vw motor. Like 60s and 70s. Air cooled. Need coil and starter wires. Thats it. +/- 40hp

Im about to mount one on a riding mower with 35's. Super fucking simple little shits.
>>
Visit serious machinist and welding forums because such conversions are fairly common.

75HP is a beast. I'd look into a Ford 300 six because they are common industrial engines as well as cheaply available in used trucks. They are easy to run on propane or gasoline, last a long time and their narrowness + easy component access are win.

You need DETAILS about your compressor including how many RPM you want it to run.

It's not a simple job but you'd never run out of air. I'll guess by the time you are done you might have a couple grand in the conversion.

Sell the electric motor. They don't scrap for shit lately. You might trade it to an electric motor shop for things you can use.
>>
>>1032592
Naw man. U can get motors rebuilt.

Agreed on the 300 six. I had a few. 1 would throw the belt and id keep driving it. ...cannot kill 300 six. They love a small turbo also.
>>
>>1032567
How is a 40 hp engine going to power a 75 hp pump?
>>
>>1032680
A lower HP engine will power a pump at lower speed with lower output. HOWEVER rule of thumb for gas engines replacing electric motors is ya need double the gas HP to match the motor.

>>1032637
I'd buy a rebuilt 300 if there weren't plentiful donors where I live, but OP may want to keep it as cheap as possible. If OP locates an air compressor using a 300 he might order some components to make this as close to a bolt-on swap as practical. He could run at a fixed RPM instead of proper controls but that would gobble fuel. For intermittent use that might not matter. I'd visit (not "annoy by phone") my nearest air compressor repair biz and pick brains.

Hoof made governors for 300s and we had some on our carbed USAF aircraft tugs. Some are belt drive and some are vacuum and go between carb and manifold. They are still available.

Useful industrial engine site w. educational tech articles:

http://www.foleyengines.com/resources/product-guides-forms-tags/hoofpierce-governor-instructional-guide
>>
>>1032995
You can connect using a PTO bell housing and clutch (clutch not strictly required if you have an unloader, but otherwise it's nice so you don't start the engine under compressor load). You can also convert a manual bell housing to a PTO bell housing but that's more work. If you don't mind a long installation you could use manual or even an automatic transmission between the engine and compressor. I'd use PTO bell housing or make one from a manual bell and transmission.

SAE example, does not fit 300 mount flange:

http://www.klclutch.com/files/tc113-label1.jpg
>>
>>1032283
are you sure you dont mean 7.5HP?

75hp motor alone is like 1000lbs and over 70A. hardly portable. nevermind the actual compressor it runs. wtf are you sandblastic? a frigate?
>>
>>1033009
I took OP at his word since Anons scrounge some interesting shit. It's portable on a triaxle construction trailer. 8-P

He should also contact air compressor sellers on Ebay who might buy it from him for repair and resale. Often the best way to get an air compressor is buy one.

If OP looks at 75 HP units he'll see they aren't cheap, are typically skid mounted, and that he may not need one. TOO BAD MOST MOTHERFUCKERS ARE TOO LAZY TO POAST SPECIFICS ON THIS BOARD and Allah forfend they post pictures.

If it's 7.5 just use the small engine of your choice at double the electric HP but you'll still have to copy the control arrangement or run it at fixed RPM and let the engine governor do the rest.
>>
>>1033009
>>1033012

75HP for an air compressor isn't unheard of; that's within the range of a large-ish towable compressor like pic related.

OP, does this thing look like one of these, or does it look like the usual "tank with some stuff on top"?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.