[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ I'm trying to machine a shot glass out of 20mm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160802_220530601_HDR.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160802_220530601_HDR.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
Hey /diy/

I'm trying to machine a shot glass out of 20mm shell casing. My questions are thusly

>Will alcohol affect the metal
>Is there a coating, resistant to alcohol, that I can use on it
>Is this even a good idea?
>>
>>1032239
It's a great idea, use something called bisphenol a to cote it. It's the same stuff they coat aluminum cans and canned foods with.
>>
File: yqVFQxM.jpg (588KB, 2500x1748px) Image search: [Google]
yqVFQxM.jpg
588KB, 2500x1748px
>>1032239
>>Will alcohol affect the metal
No, the casing is brass. A couple washes with soapy water and alcohol will get rid of any lead/combustion residues still lurking around. Pretty much any cleaner that doesn't have ammonia will do.
>>Is there a coating, resistant to alcohol, that I can use on it
Something that isnt't water- or ethanol- soluble. Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is teflon, but that shits too complicated to coat with at home. Just make sure whatever you use, you seal the bottom where the primer comes thru
>>Is this even a good idea?
>Asking this question on /diy/
go get turnt my fegit
>>
>>1032239
You could place a glass shot glass inside it, that way you get the look and it's safe to use.
>>
>>1032239
pickle the brass first to get any lead out. then seal it. i just googled food safe metal coating and a bunch of shit popped up. lrn2goog
>>
Hah cool. How much booze does it hold?

My 2c would be epoxy resin poured in thin to seal the primer and let the brass taste reign
>>
>>1032346
Not a bad idea. Or a test tube.
>>
>>1032239
>shot glass
>glass
looks like you fell at the first fucking hurdle you retard
>>
>>1032296
>>>Is this even a good idea?
>>Asking this question on /diy/
>go get turnt my fegit

It's a valid question considering how AFAIK, they use mercury in the primers.
>>
>>1032496
Why did you even make a post?
>>
>>1032506
Not noticing small details are what get you injured or killed in life.
>>
>>1032527
Or make life not worth living cause your too busy worrying about shit that don't matter...
>>
>>1032496
>>1032506
Well I thought it was funny
>>
>>1032296
that is a shitty as fuck design, so cluttered and hard to understand at a glance.

and a Gibson certainly does not use sett vermouth.
>>
>>1032505
>mercury in the primers
Nope, the primer is lead styphnate / azide. Cleaning will suffice.
If you care for any traces of lead, you may try an non-oxidizing acid (e.g., hydrochloric), copper will resist that, lead should dissolve.

>>1032239
>Is this even a good idea?
Are you able to keep it clean? In particular the room where primer was, it may be a pain in the ass to clean that.
>>
>>1032239
You could tin the inside. Food safe.
>>
Brass is a really dirty metal you don't want to be drinking out of. So if you can line it properly fine.
>>
>>1032239
Lead melts with the heat of a lighter op.

Turn it up and torch it!
Then maybe some mineral spirits

Then maybe some soap.
Then use a simple copper-pipe cutter.

And there you go.
Shot glass
>>
>>1032296
Damn, I didn't think I'd find a high res image of that poster here of all places.

Thanks anon.
>>
It's fine. Stupid, but fine.

1: Put it in a vigorous boil for 7-10 minutes. This should remove most carbon deposits inside the case.
2: Knock out the primer, reboil.
3: Soak in pickling vinegar (18% acetic acid) for 72 hours, this will dissolve any lead remaining.
4: Reboil to remove all traces of the vinegar
5: Fill the primer pocket with silver-tin solder to make it watertight
6: Enjoy. No need to line it, brass is a food-safe metal.
>>
>>1034842
>6: Enjoy. No need to line it, brass is a food-safe metal.
>Forgetting about the 30% zinc in C260

Line it. The rest of this guy's advise is ok, but line that shit.
>>
>>1032239
Don't do >>1032252. Bisphenols are endocrine disruptors.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.