[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your preferred brand for cordless power tools? Looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 6

File: power tools.jpg (44KB, 636x424px) Image search: [Google]
power tools.jpg
44KB, 636x424px
What is your preferred brand for cordless power tools?

Looking to start a set for home (not professional) use.
>>
Oh boy a new thread for brand war shit flinging
>>
Trolling, the thread.
>>
>>1031773
What kind of DIY?
General DIY stuff like putting up shelves?
That one a year project DIY?
Or building a tiny house out of pallets with a shipping container basement DIY?
>>
>>1031783
General DIY for the most part. Shelves, fences, cabinets. That sort of thing.
>>
File: 1469568698895.jpg (84KB, 960x593px) Image search: [Google]
1469568698895.jpg
84KB, 960x593px
Home use ryobi, portercable, dewalt, Hitachi.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008WVWPZM/
>>
Ryobi is nice and cheap. I have been using them professionally for a year or so and no issues yet.

Don't buy the vacuum cleaner. A dust pan and hand broom works much better.
>>
>>1031773

inb4 hurr durr dewalt is the only way

I have used just about all brands, but for performance , price , and reliability you cant go wrong with the 20v line from porter cable
I have the impact driver, jig saw, drill, and circular saw and they are amazing. The smart charger charges my batteries in about 20 minutes and the battery will last all day working
>>
Recently got myself a makita 10.8v(12vmax) CXT drill and impact kit. It's brilliant for around the house.

The majority of my professional tools for work are makita 18v and 110v.

I also have some Bosch tools which are excellent (blue grade), which I also use on site. I have some Hilti rotary hammer drills that are good but expensive.

I rely on dewalt lasers no end. I also have some hilti lasers but for the price I don't find them to be any more useful than my dewalt kit.

For home woodworking, I spent a fair about on a bosch table saw, a 14" band saw and metabo 12" planer thicknesser and a radial floor standing drill press but my woodworking power tools like sander, jig saw, router etc are all screwfix 'erbauer' brand which are relatively cheap but work fantastically.

Really depends what kind of DIY you're looking to do.
>>
>>1031773
Look into the M12 series by milwaukee. Great stuff for basic home kit, cheap too.
If you feel you need more power (which for around the house stuff you probably dont) look into Ryobis stuff.

Best advice is to buy one line and stick with it
Batteries cost a lot, you dont need to have multiple chargers with multiple brands of batteries.
>>
>>1031773
Anything but dewalt
>>
>>1031903
Stop memeing
>>
My mom bought me a ryobi drill one birthday as a kid, my collection expanded from that based on whatever tool i needed to get the project done. Back then (like ~10-15 years old fucktard with dreams) I only thought ryobi had universal batteries lol.

Now I have almost 20 tools, all ryobi. They may not be the top-tier tools but in the 10+ years I've been a weekend warrior and almost daily grease monkey for the family fleet i've only had the very first drill die on me.

I am no professional and in the workshop 2-3 times per week on something as simple as putting shelves up and replacing an outlet to complete dismantling of a barbeque smoker and my biggest (worst nightmare) project was rebuilding my transmission. Ryobi's 330 ft-lb impact saved me.
>>
>>1031773

I've got the Ridgid X5 set, 18v drill, driver, 7.25" circular, sawzall, and flashlight. I've been very happy with them. The lifetime warranty will cover battery replacements when they eventually die. They feel solid and plenty powerful. LED lights on the drill and driver are excellent and the batteries have power indicators which are great.
>>
File: tmp_2041-images(2)711196524.jpg (8KB, 328x153px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2041-images(2)711196524.jpg
8KB, 328x153px
I've grown quite fond of Worx tools, used makita, ryobi for years and found they are all very similar
>>
https://youtu.be/zYIJcFsShCg
>>
Ryobi and Milwaukee are owned by the same company, just FYI.
>>
>>1031904
He isnt wrong
>>
>>1031925
>man paid by dewalt says milwaukee is shit
Real surprising!

I know there is a meme about shills in these threads, but that channel is literally a paid sponsor of Dewalt.
>>
>>1031949
>oh look this meme again

Yeah and StanleyBlack&Decker owns almost everything else.
>>
>>1031960
I mean he literally shows you fucked tools, not to mention if he were doing it maliciously he would be liable for a case against slander.

There's a massive legal position to consider when bring paid by one company to showcase their products and then saying another companies products are shit, it's hardly worth losing your house over which would undoubtedly be the case so I can't see how he isn't bring truthful.
>>
>>1031991
Being
>>
>>1031960
I've heard from a few people that work with/repair Milwaukee tools that Milwaukee's cordless has had a noticeable drop in quality in the past few years.
>>
Personally, I use dewalt. Comparable/equal to Makita for less money, and their new 60v lineup is very interesting.
>>
>>1031991
Be weary of who you take counsel from

He has a fucking dewalt drill and a stanley hammer in his channel photo (same brand)

Its not at all slander to make a video and say "look I broke these tools from a certain brand!".
On the other hand, look at the close to 50 Dewalt tools that were given to him to review.
>>
>>1032004
You arent gonna pretend to be a tool repairman in this thread?
It worked out great last time
>>
>>1032007
It is slander if it's done for the benefit of a rival company. Which is what I'm explaining.

If he is paid by dewalt to promote items hes running a great risk calling Milwaukee crap. So unless he's absolutely sure what he's saying is correct and true, he's liable.
>>
>>1032009
Its a loophole
He isnt technically "paid"
He has tools donated to him to "review" and if you dont play the game you dont keep getting tools

Its long been a thing with technology and youtube. Tool companies are just late to the party.
You would have a tough time proving it in court anyways

I dont trust the faggot one bit
>>
>>1032008
I'm just saying that I know a few people who reccomend dewalt/makita over milwaukee, due to recent quality issues.
>>
I use Bosch.
If not I'd use Makita. Bosch has a dearth of selection, but I've been very happy with the quality of each tool I've bought.
All brands are good.
Just go with your favorite color scheme and feel in hand.
>>
>>1032012
I've only ever used bosch's old 14.4v nicad line. For 14v, it was great. The batteries held up well too.
>>
>>1032010
It's not. There's still a conflict of interest. That's why you will hear these people when reviewing or have it small printed somewhere in the interest of 'full disclosure'.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_of_interest
>>
>>1032017
I understood you the first 3 times you reiterated it.

The problem is, not everyone discloses correctly, and an even fewer actually get in trouble for it.
PewDiPie got "in trouble" for it. There were no consequences other than being told to disclose correctly. They went after him because he makes millions of dollars each year.
That and because video game companies and technology companies are much more versed in this type of internet youtube advertising.

Tool brands are in the fucking stone age.
You are retarded to think this guy buys his tools, and even more retarded to think he could ever get caught or in trouble for "slander".

The guy does it for the free tools, not for adsense money.
>>
>>1031773
Makita
Ridgid
Bosch
Ryobi
DeWalt
>>
I'll be straight with you, OP. Makita's 18V LXT lineup is the best.

The tools are just as good as Milwaukee, Bosch, or Dewalt, and they have the most tools and release the most tools. The batteries charge faster than in other systems, probably cuz there's a fan in the charger that keeps the batteries cool enough to charge at a higher rate. Makita won't try to pull the wool over your eyes with overrated torque specs or "20V" batteries, or pull a DeWalt on you and release a new battery system on you, but rather puts their engineering effort into the tools themselves. You may think DeWalt didn't just take a shit on all their customers with the "20V Max" tools since their existing tools are "backwards compatible" but you bet your ass that DeWalt's shiniest new tools will require their bullshit flexvolt batteries.

Okay fine whatever, Milwaukee is good too.
>>
>>1031773
RIGID
>>
>>1032244
I heard some shit about the latest 18V LXT batteries not working with early 18v XLT tools for some reason, although that might have just been for the white Makitas, and I've never actually seen it happen. Can't go wrong with makita, and they do have that snazzy 18v coffee maker. I doubt that dewalt will move entirely to flexvolt, because flexvolt batteries are pretty bulky.
>>
I'll throw out Milwaukee, I switched over from dewalt due to battery issues on some of the tools I have and have been really happy. Milwaukee, Dewalt, and Makita all seem to be really jumping ahead in technology with things like Dewalts 60v and 120v tools using multiple 20v batteries to Milwaukee getting into bluetooth enabled tools that allow you to set specific torque and stuff to Makita coming out with the super quiet oil pulse impacts.

Pick the tools that are important and stay within a brand for compatibility or grab whatever suits you, but at this point it's doubtful you'll be disappointed with anything new for basic homeowner stuff.
>>
>>1032255
>Milwaukee getting into bluetooth

This sounds like cancer.
>>
>>1031773

Just did this very thing.

Decided to go portercable and ended up with dewalts that for the short time i have had them i have loved.

Story...

>buy PC drill driver set
>open it and did not have advertised thinner rapid charger
>its a little thing that likely dose not matter
>bitch i want what i paid for!
>guy at lowes with a smug grin says he has a great set of dewalts for $370!
>nigga please i aint a contractor
>whatever, take PC set home
>the charger thing nags at me
>wife points out dewatl brushless 20v hammer drill combo set on sale at home dept for $300
>Its the same set that is $370 at lowes
>lowes dose price match + another %10 off
>quickly took my $170 set of PC drill drivers back
>salesmen has an even more smug grin as i pick up the dewalt brushless set
>I rather happily tell him ill take this set for $270
>visible confusion on his face
>inform him of home depots price
>his grin turns to a look of sadness

Do lowes guys get paid on commission or something? I legit have no idea why a low level grunt like him would give 2 shits about what i buy or at what price.

Anyways. I have been loving it. To me the extra $100 was worth it to get a hammer drill, brushless and a better name on the side (just icing on the hammer drill cake)

I would not have gotten them for the full price however.

Sadly looking online i do not see the number on the home depot site. DCK296M2 is what i got.

Lowes still has it for $370. But eh. At that price i would have just stuck with the porter cables.
>>
>>1032257
Because it is.

Get the fuck off your phone!
>No, boss, I'm just setting the torque to the correct setting for my impact
I SAID GET THE FUCK OFF OF YOUR PHONE

Tools are meant, first and foremost, for the professional using them. The home gamer benefits from all the advances meant specifically for people that use tools for a living.
Adding blue tooth controls is something I'd expect from Ryobi, whose main consumer base is not professional.
Adding in depth on-tool controls for precision is something I'd expect Milwaukee.
>>
>>1032259
Even worse
>Sit outside of jobsite on phone
>Kek to death as nothing gets done because you keep fucking with their tools
>>
>>1032258

Well shit. I must have fat fingered the part number. Still on Home depot but not on sale.
>>
We have 3 of us in our crew at rob has makita mervo has milwaukee and I have dewalt all 18v we uses each others tool if ours aren't right there and I feel they are all pretty comparable.

Rob was using a normal grinder and all 3 of us hated it because of the overload sensor but he just bought a brushless grinder and none of that stupid overload sensor that batch was touchy as fuck.

My mate who is a chef got a 9 piece ryobi one + kit for like 600 aud and while it's not the best it's perfect for everything he does around the house the only thing he borrows is my hammer drill now because his doesn't have the power
>>
>>1031918
I see these all the time at DIY stores in my town and always wondered if they are any good.
I guess i have the 'cheapness bias' going on, since they are considerably cheaper than Makitas etc, making me think they are somehow inferior.
What's your experience with them?
>>
>>1031773
DeWalt 60V only.
No brushes.
Final destination.

Seriously though, a lot depends on what you plan to do. Occasional light-duty wood work for home maintenance? You can probably get by with one of the cheap brands. Planning to build a deck? You might want to spring for something heavier-duty.

For comparison, my brother uses the Black & Decker Matrix system for light-duty home maintenance, my dad uses midrange Makitas for woodworking and medium-duty home maintenance, and I use some top-end DeWalts for metal and automotive work.
>>
File: IMG_20160803_120644.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160803_120644.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm a poor fag so my preferred tool is a quality cheap one = corded.

But with my cordless ones I'm married to blue bosch.
I generally prefer makita and bosch, probably because of the color. Yellow feels cheap for me, as well as red.
I prefer to be honest to myself, brands means shit. Price range seems to correlate with the durability.
>>
>>1032268

Yeah. The Ryobi hammer drill only really has enough power to go through block. Once you look at anything harder then it really struggles.

>>1032309

>deck

We build greenheart decks with the same cheap Ryobi One + shit and it does fairly well.

Though we have a 9" saw that does most of the cutting we still use the 5 1/2" Ryobi 18v for quick fit cuts.

In my experience the actual machine qualities are comparable. The differences lie primarily in the features and to some extent the power.

I'd much prefer to spend the money on better blades and bits than I would for blue tooth.
>>
>>1032311

The advantage to corded as well is that you can hop between brands all over the place and not worry about power supply.
>>
NEWS FLASH: If you're just working around your house, you don't need cordless tools.

A good cordless drill and driver are important, but you don't need a cordless grinder, saw, sander, planer etc. Just get corded ones.

Cordless stuff is handy for site work, but if you don't need it it's just more expensive. The batteries die over a few years. Corded tools last for decades.
>>
>>1032382
This.

When I first bought my house I invested in a bunch of cordless tools. Never again (except for drill). Batteries don't last, expensive to replace. And underpowered. Cordless circ saw good for 2 cuts then battery dead.

Don't go cordless except for drill.
>>
>>1032382

I would say that a cordless saw is as "important" as the drill/driver. Especially if you don't have a work space that you don't mind getting sawdust all over.

That said people had gotten by with corded shit until recently.

Then it depends on the size of your property and where your closest power source is.
>>
>>1032393

>Cordless circ saw good for 2 cuts then battery dead.

Sounds like you got a duff battery. The shitty 1.5A battery still had charge after splitting 9 pieces of 1x6x18 in half.
>>
I've actually gone back to using my dads old black and decker corded drill.

So much easier than only working until the battery dies.
>>
Ryobi, Rigid, B+D, Porter Cable and Milwaukee (iirc) are all literally manufactured in the same factory in Hong Kong. There is no difference between them other then color.

I have 3 Ryobi drills, one of which is over 10 years old. None of them have ever broken, but that's probably cause they were my *only* tools for a long time and thus I treated them like a swiss watch. Even these cheap tools will function and last for years if you don't abuse them. Their newer Lithium batteries are quite nice as well (the old ones sucked though). The weak point on the drills is the chuck, which couldn't hold a dick with both hands, but that's easy to replace and still cheaper then upgrading to yellow tools. https://www.google.com/#q=replace+drill+chuck&safe=off&tbm=vid

I love Dewalt and Makita, I've used them at many job sites, but honestly the price difference is too huge and not worth it for occasional/home/hobby work. Here's a teardown of a Dewalt tool. You can clearly see what you're paying for, and 95% of it is durability. If you aren't a daily tool using professional, that's not needed and probably a waste of your money. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWH5bfpivSU

>>1032382
Also this. Although I do like the new puke green ryobi circ saw, it's a LOT more powerful then the old ones. If it hadn't come in a kit that was gifted to me I would never have bought it, but now that I have it I keep finding uses for it, usually where I just need one cut and it's easier then getting out the extension cords.
>>
>>1032393
Batteries have come a very long way in the past few years. There's even some way being tested to allegedly make lithium ion batteries have far more recharge cycles, which is going to be a godsend if it ever works out.
>>
>>1032393

The warranty on Ridgid tools covers battery replacement. The tools feel solid and have easily accomplished everything I've thrown at them. I've used the X5 series for the last year rehabbing a house, building a chicken coop, mending fences, pruning tree branches with the sawzall, and all sorts of other odd jobs.
>>
>>1032402

That's very true. Batteries are much better today than they used to be. I'm very impressed with how long they run compared to 10 years ago and they keep their strength well until the end rather than slowly giving up until you get frustrated and realize you have to swap batteries.
>>
>>1032258
I "switched" from Porter Cable 20v max to Makita LXT. Actually I just traded my PCs for my dad's Makita just because he thought id appreciate it.

The PC drill and driver are just as good as the Makitas, but I got huge utility from making the switch because I got a cordless Makita blower soon afterwards and it instantly became the most used tool I own.

I recommend that anyone buy into a pro-tier cordless system for no other reason than the sheer variety of tools that come with them. And now I'm eyeing the new brushless Makita impact wrench that pulverized my Mac pneumatic in power.
>>
>>1032398

>There is no difference between them other then color.

And tolerances.

Cant forget that. Its kind of important. And if they start stacking tolerances its even MORE important.
>>
File: Power It.jpg (211KB, 1280x936px) Image search: [Google]
Power It.jpg
211KB, 1280x936px
I have the Power It cordless drill from ASDA (UK Walmart), wasn't expecting much from it but it's been a very good drill.
>>
>>1032440

The batteries cut out before they get to that weak point through programming.

A Lithium Ion battery cannot take the same abuse a NiCad can so they need the systems in place to protect them.
>>
>>1032373
Tru dat. Incompatible batteries are a pain in the ass.
There is no other reason for the batteries to be incompatible between brands other than the fact that manufacturers want to sodomize you!
>>
15 years tool repairman here. As far as quality goes, there are no better tools than german Fein, after which comes Makita, then blue Bosch. Everything else is shit tier, although I like older DeWalt tools.

Also, Makita is very straightforward and simple tool to repair, even the latest HR and HM series. Bosch likes to complicate things a bit, with some weird in-tool solutions. I fucking hate some of their power tools.

But Fein... my god, those tools are god-tier!
>>
>>1032562
>No Festool
oh, your a 'tool repairman' - you wont get to see any, I understand. The fuck repairs tools nowadys anyway? Literally, anything beyond replacing a fuse (maybe brushes, but even there) - cheaper buying new.
>>
>>1032568
Tool repair is often cost-effective. I did it when I ran a toolroom and now for self and bros. The internet makes getting parts easy and I could return most tools to service faster than ordering new ones.

A Cratex rubberised abrasive stick is great for cleaning commutators, and I keep dead tools for parts and hardware.
>>
>>1032580
Don't get him started. If you claim to repair things instead of throwing them out, he loses his mind.
warosu.org/diy/thread/S1023840 Very related.
>>
>>1032562
>Fein
What makes them so good? Nobody has them around here, and I've only ever seen their overengineered shopvacs.
>>
>>1032012
>>1032311
Are you me? the post.
>>
>>1032595
The don't use lego parts, as far as I know.
Meaning that they manufacture every component of every tool.
>>
Cool!!

ID: s-k86
ttp://ameblo.jp/s-k86/
>>
>>1032568

Where in the world do you live where brushes cost more than $2 for the pair?
>>
I'm a mobile electronics installer. I have to by my own tools and Ryobi sells a drill pack with an impact and regular drill for like $120 with 2 batteries. It's good because it's not so stupid powerful it'll break any bolt you drill but strong enough to do almost any at-home job. If I need anything strong I'll just go to my air impact. I would recommend it. I abuse the shit outta them and they're still going strong
>>
>>1032626
Where do you live, where 'commercial' tool repair is viable? And, for the record, I did actually exclude brushes - even then, pay transport, material, labour, overheads, chances that it may not be repairable, etc. - dont actually see its viable.

Again, we are not talking /diy/ here - obv. I (and you, and prob, most people here) will usually try and repair something first on OWN TIME, but, a 'tool repairman' (as replied to originally) implies commercial, dont see theres a demand. Like near all electronic devices, commercial tool repair (at least, in Western Society) appears no longer viable. Its the same with High-End cars and shit, $70,000+ BMWs that maybe 20 years old, mechanically sound - electrical problems? scrap it, no-one can afford the diagnosis cost, not from a BMW dealer labour charges anyway.
>>
>>1032633

From my time on /diy/ I got the vibe that most power tool repair men did warranty repairs
>>
>>1032633

Also we do have a tool repair shop, 2 stroke and 4 stroke yard equipment shop, a heavy electric repair shop where the owner also does generators.

All within 4 miles of my seaside home where the nearest neighbor is an 1/8th mile away.
>>
>>1031811
I got a impact and 3/8 inch porter cable drill for less than half the price of a dewalt, milwakee or bosch.

Im a contractor and use them virtually every day for the last 2 years and they're still going strong. No complaints for the price.

I can tell dewalt and milwakee feel better but I seriously cant see them being twice as good or anywhere near it.

A guy I often work with uses dewalt only and the battery life on his new ones suck. His nickel ones were better.

Have you tried their hammer drill or air compressors? Im looking for a new one of each, just curious as to your experience with those tools.
>>
>>1031905
Ryobi is only for home owner. It's pretty brutal but cheap and if you dont use them professionally, sure. But it's right up there with black and decker for horseshit tier.
>>
>>1031925
why the fuck would anyone buy a ratchet tool when you can just put impact ready wrench sets on an impact drill?
>>
>>1032649
>every task can be reached with an impact
>power tools are the solution to everything
>>
>>1031900
Listen to this wise one young grasshopper! Interior trim carpenter here, m12 line is great for all my cabinet needs. I bought a set for the wife's diy needs at home.
>>
>>1032398
Ive used black and decker and this is bullshit. Their products are so bad. I'm assuming you use them rarely.

Im not even a brand warrior but you I can't take you seriously when you say black and decker makes just as good as dewalt, bosch, milwakee or makita.
>>
>>1032250
Ehh yes and no. I am Makita LXT all the way...on the less then 3Ah batteries there is a tab that prevents them being used by some tools but it can easily be filed off...though these days, you wouldn't be running anything lower than the 3Ah anyway
>>
>>1032434
A few coworkers have ridgid. I have to say they seem pretty legit for the price especially.

Ive regularly used his jigsaw, grinder, hammer drill and impact driver and all seem pretty decent.
>>
>>1032654
im legit asking. I couldn't think of a reason. You can get all kinds of extentions for them. I imagine that power ratchet tool cost just as much as an impact driver. And what he showed in the video was a power tool.....so I dunno wtf you meant by the second part.
>>
>>1032664
That explains it. It must be so you don't kill the batteries with a load greater than their max discharge load.
>>
>>1031773
Craftsman
>>
Milwaukee for the superior battery packs.

I know they are a professional tool but really the certainty of a decent battery pack is heaven compared to the others.
>>
>>1031773
Dewalt, always Dewalt
>>
>>1032568
As far as Festool goes, they focus on polishers so I did not feel the need to mention them.

And to the dumbass that thinks tool repair is not viable... where in the dream world do you live? Repairs are cheap. You buy a 800$ tool, and a burnt out rotor is 150$ combined with work hours and a small tool overhaul ( complete check, brushes, cleaning and regreasing).

Do you know what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>1032568
And I am an officialy certified Bosch Makita Festool Fein Stayer and Rems tool repairman. So, yeah.
>>
>>1032633
Also, forgot to add... Just today I had around 16 tool repairs in the shop. Mostly Makita, since its popular as fuck here, some Bosch angle grinders and a few cordless drills, a Festool RO150, a Fein Multimaster that had its electronics replaced. Tool repair is more than profitable. Makes me some good money. Also, I love repairing shit. So, for me, 15 years of doing what I love... I do not consider it work, since it's fun as hell and I get paid for it!
>>
>>1032966

What are your rates for tool repair? You talking about 800$ pro roto hammers or 100$ drivers or impacts?
I can see it make sense for the more expensive items but most tools at the -150 price point seem throw away with most contractors now adays.
>>
>>1032004
Module problems with M18 are common and often cost near replacement price.
>>
>>1032970
Last thread he was going on about fixing Black and Decker and DeWalt cordless drills and telling us how much different they are! He is an expert!
>>
>>1032649
I've used non-impact sockets on impact wrenches for many years. I have some impact sockets but those are for larger fasteners. I've rarely needed impact grade sockets and use them more for their six-point feature than strength. I do a lot of automotive work and rarely break sockets.

If you want the best Harbor Freight sockets get thei impact sockets. Still cheap. Not slender, but most times that doesn't matter.
>>
>>1032975
No, that was me.
Last thread, you were going on about how nobody repairs tools and everybody else is a shill, it was pretty funny.
>>
>>1032978
>people pay someone like you to repair an 80$ drill
>>
>>1032989
There you go again.
>>
Don't know if this thread needs more comments at this point but I'm loving the new Milwaukee Fuel line. Expensive stuff but Im very happy with it. Makita is good too, seems more popular with tradesmen in my area but probably because it's a little cheaper.
Milwaukee's driver bits and some of their hand tools are miles better than their competitors.
Not a big fan of DeWalt, heavier than it needs to be and not exactly cutting edge technology.
>>
>>1032975
I am not that guy. Sorry, anon.
>>
Hey /diy/ers,

just thought I'd bump this here Tool Tread for no apparent purpose whatsoever - but, as im here? may as well offer my unbiased, professional and vastly experienced 3 cents, on THE ONLY BRAND YOU SHOULD BUY, RIGHT NOW, NO REALLY, AMAZON IS STILL OPEN hahahlol.

FWIW, both I, my wife and everyone we've ever met find DeWalt utterly fantastic, unbeatable on both value and quality, TOP Yellow, Black and Black Trim busy_man_at_Work_like colorscheme that I can personally admire for hours, all running endlessly, infinitely, off my TurboBossTwinBladeXR Power Drill Original Manufacturer Battery as hand-made by 'Black' Stan Decker-DeWalt himself in the good ole USofA back in 1923 and still going strong - beat that then, China crap shills.

In fairness, I did try Ryobi and that other red Chink POS they sell (its all the fucking same but really, innit?) after finding a pair thrown in a gutter outside Home Depot one day, obviously another happy TTI customer just got shafted there then. But I digress, where was I - oh yeah, Ryobi, and that other cheap Chink crap, real shit, just.

Thank God and America for Stanley Black & Decker DeWalt, eh? Finally, a Firm we can firmly stand behind, and show these commie bastirds, Whose the Daddy. And if you can't find any SBD&D stockist near you (because you live up a tree), or are a real cheap cunt, Porter-Cable is real damn fine too. Just not Ryobi or any of that other chink garbage obv.
>>
>>1032970
Rates for tool repair depend on what's wrong with the tool itself. Of course I am not going to recommend a 80+$ repair on a 10 yr old power tool a pleb brings in from the street, that he paid 150$ ( but there are morons that insist on it ). I mostly service professional 600+$ tools. Repairs on those aren't cheap, but still, I have my hands full. People just keep coming through the door like flies. Ka-Ching!

As for tools at the 150$ price range, some nice monies can be made, so I service those as well, when I get some free time from the expensive ones. Mostly battery drill motors & switches, brushes, rewiring, busted gearing, broken cables and small shit like that.
>>
>>1033098
Also, forgot to mention Metabo. Nice high quality tools, but parts are a bitch to get a hold of. I would recommend it, since they rate a bithigher on the quality scale than Makita.

And again, Fein is unbelievably good. If you never heard of them, shame on you. Boat guys here use Fein exclusively, since their plastic tool casings are acetone and solvent resistant. Don't know of any other company that has that kind of quality. But they are FUCKING expensive!!!
>>
>>1033089
Black&Decker is, for a lack of a better word, peasant tier shit. Same goes for Stanley and NEW DeWalt. Color schemes? Fux, man... use those tools! You are not buying them for the looks.
>>
>>1033105

>every tool i dont buy is shit aside from the older ones everyone knows are good.

The new 20v max line from DeWalt is far better then Black and Decker and Stanley. If you cant see that then go buy some harbor freight drill because "Its the same" as a higher end tool.

dispite what all the shills say its really hard to go wrong when buying DeWalt, milwaukee, makita and other higher end brands.

If you just need a drill now and then yeah getting a $300 DeWalt might not be for you.

But if you are going into doing your own remodel work, or do a lot of hobby work in your garage its well worth spending the extra to get the better brands.
>>
My company uses Milwaukee. I personally don't have enough experience with enough power tools to form any opinions.

Craftsman might be the best for home because they have battery powered power tools as well as yard work equipment.
>>1031900
My boss gave me a couple old DeWalt tools, a power drill and a reciprocating saw, but for some reason he only gave me a car charger that he must have kept on his van. I went looking for a wall charger and it was $75.00! So much for free tools.
>>
>>1033153
Buy used, it's going to be a shitton cheaper that way, and chargers don't wear out.
>>
Rigid tools are my choice when it comes to battery powered tools. I regularly use and abuse my drill and its hammer feature, the impact driver occasionally, and the saws all about once or twice a week. The flashlight is pretty good up to about 2 stories away, just don't buy the flexible neck one-in stores it never stayed bent the way I tried. I have a corded Rigid circular saw that works well. Got a Ryobi battery tool kit for Christmas one year. Drill, small circular saw, vertical jigsaw, and the whole kit was a joke. Drill is okay for very small projects. That whole kit lacks balls.
>>
All I know is, when I started my job, my boss gave me his old makita drill and driver kit. He had it for three years, used the hell out of it, and none too kindly at that.

I had the drill for four years before it finally crapped out. Probably could have been saved, but wasn't worth it, I had inherited several drills by then.

The driver is still going strong, and I used that more often than the drill.
>>
>>1031773
No name corded is my favorite brand of cordless power tools. Don't know what brand at all, they are a generic orange or tan. Jigsaw is tan, box just said jigsaw, and listed information and said made in Japan.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1031773
I am a journeyman carpenter.
My tools are dewalt.
Milwaukee is the best. But pricey.
Dewalt makes good tools, at a more reasonable price.
Don't fuck with Mikita. Not great.

If you just want tools to use around the house dewalt is the best for your money.
But if you have money, go Milwaukee.

But buy your saws with cords.fuck batteries.

Pic related. Cabinets built by dewalt.
>>
>>1031773
>What is your preferred brand for cordless power tools?
>
>Looking to start a set for home (not professional) use.

Ryobi 1+ is good if going brand new get a decent set and should last long.

Mikwaukee though for me if money doesn't matter.
>>
>>1033242
Bud, you sound like those crazies that swear guns have agency and kill on their own.

DeWalt didn't build those cabinets, you did.
>>
>>1031989
How is a real simple fact a meme?
>>
>>1031773
Above a certain price range tool brands are like auto makers and cell phones. They are all basically the same quality, with slightly different features that appeal to different people. Every brand is going to sell some tools that fail withina month and some that last forever.

I prefer Makita. Mostly because I boughta Makita drill that was on sale to replace the piece of shit Dewalt I had. It worked so I bought another Makita. 5 years later and I won't 10+ Makita tools. All work fine. So do my current Dewalts.
>>
>>1033383

No he's a shill.
>>
>>1032494
Whatever gets the job done, Anon.

Assuming you're just hanging up picture frames occasionally?

>>1032440
Absolutely, and the brushless motors are pushing those upper bounds. Earlier this week I drove something like 350 backer-on screws through 1/2" hardiebacker on one charge and the battery was still going. 1/3 on the fuel gauge, nonetheless still driving.
>>
>>1032301
They do the intended job and have held up well over 12 months, DESU I don't take great care of them and have dropped the rattler more than once
>>
Milwaukee. Good shit. Good batteries (cheap off brand bats too). Huge selection of stuff that uses the same 12v batteries.
>>
what's the difference between my black and decker 20 volt impact driver and a dewalt one other than the $70 cost vs $200
>>
>>1032250
The thing with flexvolt as a platform, I'd while it will have a high capacity for 18v tools, the 60v tools will probably have a shitty run time.

Increasing the voltage with the use of more cells only has a benefit in lower current draw but you're diminishing the potential.

That said, what tools have they made for the 60v platform that is really something new in the battery tool world? A table saw. That is fucking crap. They say it's 24 inch rip capacity which is a lie. It's closer to 10 inches. And for the price I'd rather buy a festool battery track saw.
>>
>>1034030
The type of plastic used.
>>
>>1033242
>Makita
>Not great

Well you've already said your tools are dewalt and Milwaukee so I don't think you're in the right position to pass judgement.

Also it's a bold and most probably incorrect statement. I don't like Milwaukee because they're over priced for their quality and features compared to other similar brands but I wouldn't say they're not good on that basis. And let's put it this way, I've seen more Milwaukee gear go up in smoke than I have makita.
>>
>>1034061
That's what I thought when I saw that the 60v batteries are only 2ah at 60 volts.
I heard they're coming out with a 60v 3ah battery soon, so hopefully that will get fixed. I wouldn't get any of their 60v stuff until it comes out.
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.