[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I drive I can pretty much feel every little piece of gravel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: bmw.jpg (64KB, 634x376px) Image search: [Google]
bmw.jpg
64KB, 634x376px
When I drive I can pretty much feel every little piece of gravel in the road. It's basically like that princess with the pea and mattress. I've done the thing where I press down on the corner and it doesn't bounce.

Should I replace the shocks or springs?
>>
>>1031761
Try sit on a pillow you dumb kid
>>
>>1031761
replace the shocks with softer ones
>>
Drive a couple different vehicles. If the problem persists then obviously the issue is you, and you can start taking steps to get over it.
This would fix the ACTUAL problem.
>>
>>1031761
It won't bounce if your shocks are in place and working order. If it doesn't seem to move at all when pressing down on the corner, you're likely riding on the frame which means there is no suspension at all. Otherwise you either have a nurburgring tuned car, or you're just a pussy.

You could also get softer shocks if all else checks out.
>>
>>1031790

Shocks can sieze.

But that leads you to feel a lot more than just the bumps. The vehicle then goes down the road like a go cart jumping all over the place.

Most suspensions issues are rarely springs.

If you are convinced you are on the bump stops then you can visually inspect. They are obvious rubber cones or blocks. Also unlikely all 4 springs should fail at the same time so the car would look like it is leaning.
>>
>>1031799
Didn't consider them seizing up. It would have the same effect as riding on the frame, yeah. Also, none of us even once considered asking what OP is driving.

By on the frame I meant (can't remember the part name) the brackets that mount the chassis to the suspension has broke, or somehow come dislocated. It's entirely possible that all 4 are in this condition, but unlikely. But just the front end is all it takes for you to have a bad time.
>>
Why are you blaming the suspension?

Let me guess. You have aftermarket low profile tyres and 18" rims.
Get smaller rims like 15" or 16" and taller tyres.

That should cushion the ride more.

Also, the bounce test is no longer reliable if you have a Mercedes or BMW or anything similar.
The shocks in those are both Gas, and Hydraulic.
Usually the Gas fails first and the handling changes slowly over time as it leaks out. Then you will notice lots of body roll in the corners.
>>
>>1031854

I have a 2000 Vauxhalll astra with 95,000 on the clock. The tires are standard with 17 inch rims.

I know driving on a rough road is going to feel rough, but sometimes it feels the tires are losing grip when going over potholes.
>>
>>1031868
>95,000 on the clock
Yeah, shocks are probably fucked. They'll skitter around and have ratshit rebound rates which is why you're getting beat up
>>
>>1031820

>the brackets that mount the chassis to the suspension has broke

Then your problems will be significantly great than simply "I can feel every bump"

The suspension locates the wheel so loosing any mount your wheel will point in any direction it feels like and you wouldn't get down the road with out noticing that something is terribly wrong.

>>1031868

Loosing grip going over a pothole can be completely normal depending on the speed and the size of the hole as there is potentially a moment when the wheel is in the air before crashing into and then crashing out of the hole.

But then this can be the case also >>1031880

Just take it to a mechanic.
>>
>>1031901
>Loosing grip going over a pothole can be completely normal depending on the speed and the size of the hole as there is potentially a moment when the wheel is in the air before crashing into and then crashing out of the hole.
This reminded me of https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/02/18/all-new-ford-fusion-v6-sport-helps-protect-against-potholes.html
“Our new pothole mitigation technology works by actually detecting potholes and ‘catching’ the car’s wheel before it has a chance to drop all the way into the pothole.”
>tfw your country is so shit you build cars to float over potholes
>>
>>1032161
Real countries are larger than microscopic Euronations and have huge road nets.

Do you even map?

I'd rather have potholes than pay more gas taxes. Fuck the roads, drive vehicles adapted to reality. My trucks don't give a shit and my motorcycles easily dodge potholes.
>>
As for OP, shocks are likely shot but inspect the rest of the suspension while you are at it.
>>
Check tire pressure, if it's inflated hire than spec it will stiffen up the car. I've heard this complaint from people who put in what the tire says
, hitch is max psi, the recommended psi is on the drivers door sill somewhere and should be around 32 psi.
>>
File: fer1_1452403i.jpg (34KB, 620x388px) Image search: [Google]
fer1_1452403i.jpg
34KB, 620x388px
>>1032199
>let some air out of the tires
This is what I was going to say.
As long as it's still in the manufacturer's range for that car, it's good. Go below that range and you start eating into your fuel economy and tire life.

Fun fact: most US car companies now put low-profile tires on their cars, but most US police departments still don't use low-profile tires.

Low-profile tires look like "racing car tires" (check any concept car drawing of the last 30 years) and they improve track handling, but they ride harsher and are more susceptible to road damage.
>>
Let 5 pounds of air out of tires. Get non lo-pros.
>>
>>1032191

>My trucks don't give a shit and my motorcycles easily dodge potholes.

Here in the jungle, semi trucks can dodge pothole littered roads pretty easily.

I am sure you can dodge one in your pickup if you actually looked where you were going.

In fact you would have to even dodge them. Which is what you'd have to do if

>SUDDENLY POTHOLE

As if the thing wasn't there the whole time.
>>
>>1032441

>they improve track handling

There is a limit to that.

Top gear aus proved that as well by sending a vehicle down the road with factory spec 20" wheels and a rubber band for tires and then sent it down the road again with lower spec but still factory 18" wheels but same overall tire diameter and the difference was a couple seconds over a 2 minute lap. Which is a large difference.

Formula 1 cars have FAT MEATY TIRES even compared to your modern SUV. It is ridiculous.
>>
Check and make sure that your springs aren't sagging and that your shocks are functioning correctly if you find that they are check your tires if possible go up a size of tire and ride smoothness will drastically improve. If the spring/shock/struts are not working think back to when you first got the car did you like how it felt driving over bumps? If yes replace with oe spec parts. If no replace with softer springs with matching shocks
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.