[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

building concrete base for cinder blocks to make into wood fired

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: DSC05457.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05457.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
building concrete base for cinder blocks to make into wood fired oven

photo is current view.

about7 inches deep 12 feet long 34 inches wide
>>
File: DSC05460.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05460.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
sorry this is current view: road mulch tamped down plus 1/2 inch rebar reinforcing
>>
File: DSC05461.jpg (3MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
DSC05461.jpg
3MB, 2816x2112px
fuck cant even get the photo right. this photo
>>
My question is I need about 1 yard on concrete for this and the locals want $400 delivered (no competition I guess) so I want to mix and pour it myself.

1:2:3 is the most common ration I see.

How much does a mixer hold at once?

How much sand, gravel and cement powder do I need?
>>
>>1031392
My father had a nmemonic for remembering concrete mix ratios that to this day is burned into my head. Ill be a senile geriatric in a wheelchair rambling about it 50 years from now.

"To remember how much you need for a yard of concrete, just drive straight and get plenty, thats five eight and twenty."

5 cubes portland
8 cubes sand
20 cubes gravel

>how much can a mixer hold
Depends on the mixer.
Most of the home depots and rental places will have three sizes. A 3.5cube, a 6, and a towable 10.

Your project will need 20 cubes. In an ideal world youd need just 4 bags of portland at that ratio. But its all cheap enough anyways so get the whole yard.

If you get the six cube mixer you can do up one bag batches of portland pretty easily.

A 5 gallon pail is 2/3rds of a cube. So:
8 cubes of sand is 12 pails.
20 cubes of gravel is 30 pails.

Cut open a bag of portland and dump it in.
Fill 2 and a half pails of sand (2.4at that ratio, but 2.5 is close enough)
And 6 pails of gravel.

Spray with water and turn the mixer on. Check youtube for visuals on how wet concrete should be.
If you have a local aggregate yard and you don't have any humility, drive up with a couple tarps and ask how much for 8 cubic feet of sand and 20 of gravel. Ive done that on a few occassions. The guy just points one direction "sand", points another "gravel. And just send us a christmas card" then he walked away shaking his head. Took a couple 6 packs of beer and always left them outside the gaurd shack.
>>
Isn't that a bit close to the house?
>>
>>1031444
14 feet away
>>
If you're mixing it yourself you don't need to worry so much for something small I'd do 1 to 6 ratio cement and ballast. where I live we get 10mm to dust.aggregate so it's perfect for concrete.
>>
>>1031388
>for cinder blocks to make into wood fired oven
i was always told not make concrete too hot because air bubbles inside make it break and explode
anyone care to comment?
>>
>>1031505
The cinder blocks are just for the insides. I have proper refractory bricks for the fire box

You can see them in the last picture with the metal ruler on them
>>
>>1031388
OP, I'd just like to point out that you were intersted in some concrete info, and homeboy here >>1031439
wrote out a fucking novel for you, and you've only commented on the stupid questions since.
>>
File: homer-bbq.jpg (90KB, 450x332px) Image search: [Google]
homer-bbq.jpg
90KB, 450x332px
good thread
>>
>>1031392
How big is that slab going to be (LxWxH)? Because I don't think you'll need 1 CY of concrete for that. Assuming that thing is at max 3ft by 15ft by 6in = 22.5 CF, 22.5/27 = .83 CY, and that's on the very high end from looking at the picture. If you need 22.5 CF, you can buy 80 lb quikcrete bags at $4.29/each. 1 80 lb quikcrete bag yields .6 CF, so you would need (22.5CF / .6 CF) = 37.5 bags. Adding in a waste factor of 10%, you'd get 42 bags x $4.29 = $180.18 total, and a day of back-breaking labor.

quikrete (just add water ;): http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete-80-lb-Concrete-Mix-110180/100318511

Remember, I can only give you an accurate estimate if you give me accurate dimensions.
>>
>>1031439
best part of this post was
>just send us a christmas card
lmao. I would of put them on a mailing.
>>
>>1031678
OPS picture looks like his slab is only going to be 3 inches thick, according to the 1 by 6 hes got laying next to everything. >>1031390
>>
>>1031697
The yard i went to deals in those 40' trucks. Some guy in a chevy taking less then half a yard isnt worth the sales ticket
>>
>>1031709
Every year i also go get two yards of compost for my garden. I just sit on the tail gate waiting and watching everyone shoveling by hand.

Sooner or later a commercial truck comes by. I pull out a styrofoam cooler and take it over to the driver.
>six cold beers
>"which one are you?"
>"green chevy, two scoops."
>"ok"

The look on the other gardener fags faces is priceless.
>>
>>1031439
OP here Thanks for these mixes.

>>1031678
I have considered that but I did the sackrete method when I set my posts for my back fence. It took work to mix them in a wheelburrow and i dont have a mixer

Slab is 12' X 3" X 8" so 24 cubic feet.
>>
>>1031713
I just get him to load it into my truck too, $18 / yard of soil mix.
>>
>>1031388
are you using refractory bricks and mortar to build this? normal stuff explodes with heat.
>>
>>1031480
That's too close. Most counties and/or cities in the U.S. mandate that a permanent firepit/outdoor bbq be 20 feet from all structures.
>>
>>1031981
Yes I am. Look in behind the pile of cinder blocks: 26 fire brick
>>
>>1032023
Canadafag here
>>
>>1032023
Dont care, want pizza oven on my back deck

>>1031981
The ones outside are the hard sintered bricks and I have another 36 of the softer ones used in kilns for the sides of the oven
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.