[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello, I've replaced this relay before, and it's causing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20160730_223252.jpg (2MB, 4208x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160730_223252.jpg
2MB, 4208x3120px
Hello,
I've replaced this relay before, and it's causing me trouble again. Pic related. I'm looking at replacing it with a more modern ice cube relay, but where do I find a relay with a 24V coil that is rated for 25a/277 volts? Is there a way I could use a contactor for this instead? My only issue is that the heat requires the 240 leg through the NC side, which would be difficult with a contactor.
>>
File: IMG_20160730_224737.jpg (448KB, 1509x1063px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160730_224737.jpg
448KB, 1509x1063px
>>1030583
Sorry, fixed image
>>
>>1030584
Also, if it needed to be said, because there is no NC on the heater relay, im talking about the blower relay, bottom left in fixed image in second post.
>>
Automation Direct to the rescue.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Relays_-z-_Timers/Electro-Mechanical_Relays/Power_Relays,_Open-Style,_40A_(AD-PR40_Series)/AD-PR40-1C-24D
>>
>>1030588
Holy crap, thanks.
>>
>>1030588
I just realized this is a 24VDC coil. Shit.
>>
>>1030583
>>1030585
You are mistaken. The heater is not run through the blower relay. The relay only needs to handle current from the blower. Eitherway, those ice cube relays handle that kind of power fine. I literally throw them out I have so many. Where do you live, ill send you one.
>>
>>1030795
Also, if the relay keeps failing you should be looking at the blower motor and its capacitor.
>>
>>1030583
why not use a solid state relay? good to 45A and 3-35v coil
>>
>>1031550
Link to one? I'm not to familiar with the advantages of a solid state relay, but am open to anything that will be more reliable. Also, I suppose a coil less than 24VAC would work of i add in a transformer.
>>
>>1030774
>>1030588

Damn you're a lazy sod. Same website, literally in the "customers who also bought" list

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Relays_-z-_Timers/Electro-Mechanical_Relays/Power_Relays,_Open-Style,_40A_(AD-PR40_Series)/AD-PR40-2C-24A

>>1031559
SSRs open and close faster, have less "bounce" (literally the contacts chattering during the close cycle) but because the actual current carrying path is doped silicon instead of copper contacts, they don't handle overcurrent (ex. during the startup of a motor) well at all. They're more expensive, even before you consider that to properly size them for a motor in needs to be >4x the current rating of the motor.
>>
>>1032349
that link is to an electro-mechanical relay.

finding a SSR with an auxiliary NC contact that can handle in-rush current of a motor is going to be expensive. these units run for decades on electro-mechanical relays with no issue if properly maintained.

HVAC fag here
>>
>>1032357
This guy is right, I've come in and seen ice cube relays older than me working fine and at least decade old RIB relays doing the same. Like almost every relay we use is rated for what you need.
>>
>>1032362
Wish I could find the picture of it but I did a project at the old KCPL building in Kansas City. 1930's elevator control panel, tons of electromechanical relays, contractors, and switches, still clacking away 85 years later. Good shit.
>>
>>1032357
as long as no goddamn ants commit suicide between the contacts
>>
File: image.jpg (345KB, 1152x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
345KB, 1152x2048px
>>1032742
>ants
Moisture and dirt can fuck your world up if you let it.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.