[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any math or EV (electric vehicle) bros here? Want to build an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault (9).jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (9).jpg
18KB, 480x360px
Any math or EV (electric vehicle) bros here?

Want to build an electric riding mower.

Already built a remote contol push mower so i have the skills.

I would like to power the 2 deck blades with individual direct drive motors and mount a gear drive motor to the transmission so i dont ever have to FUCK with a goddamn belt again.

I would like exceptional cutting power but i dont want to hit a rock and detonate either. If mower driving speed and power stays the same it would be optimal.

Any ideas on wtf size motors and controllers?

The old murry i'm converting has an 18hp briggs and stratton for reference.

I know I can't get "exactly" what I'm looking for with the info I've provided. But you guys could help me drastically narrow down my options. Will post build thread in return / mow your yard if you are near SE Kansas.
>>
>>1029925
DC or AC? Either way, unless you happen to be sitting on a pile of motors batteries controllers and inverters, this looks like it will be quite costly.
>>
>>1029939
I just got a part time job and probably dc cause cheaper. I got 2 houses next door to each other and im tired of messing with these bs gassers. Gonna make the deck detatchable so i can ride the mower around at local gatheri gs and not be the jackass on a 2 stroke banshee whike people are trying to talk.

Kinda crippled so i walk as little ass possibe but try and not be lethargic. We have mud runs and biker rallies a lot. Going to be a winter project unless my part time job picks up. Gonna try for lifepo4 but throwing 3 grand at an old motor might piss off the wife. Lol. I got a buddy who is a proffessional pinstriper / painter for a living. Probably mowing and also taking it to car shows.
>>
>>1029925

You're looking in the range of "big and expensive".

Just to match the old engine for half an hour, you'd need about 7kWh worth of battery. If you're willing to spend an unreasonable amount of time building your own pack AND were able to get a steal on the batteries themselves, you could probably find suitable cells for about $3,000. Assuming lithium, anyway. You could use lead, but you'd see a large increase in weight, and they wouldn't last very long in terms of cycle life. You COULD build an excessively large pack with lead to keep depth of discharge low, but then you start to lose out on any cost advantage you had by using lead, and add even more weight.

I'm inclined to think your best bet for motors would be other electric mowers. They generally run straight from DC and don't require any controller.

The drive motor could be done with a larger electric scooter motor/controller, something in the 2kW+ range.

Honestly, I don't see much reason to do this. It'd be significant out-of-pocket expense and effort for...what? Avoiding some fairly minor maintenance?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KhhnvQa1s4

ask this guy
>>
Hi.

If you had 18hp, then you would have 25kW electric power..
Assuming your belt drive is a bit inefficient and you would not run the motor at full throttle, the you would have 15-20kW.

Then i assume the power required to drive it would the largest, so 10kW for driving.
Then two motors of 2.5kW for the blades..

I would find some big DC fans for cooling a bus or truck, either from motor cooler or climate system. They will take quite a few RPM, and will be constructed for constant load.
The I would mount the to be either on or off, just for simplicity.

Later I would find a motor from an electric scooter, perhaps the entire drive system/rain, and the mount that.
>>
Thanks guys. I'll probably stick with lead. Maybe even just optimas to save weight. I can make a couple packs to hotswap or just mow 2 days a week. Taking the deck off would alow me to use it as a r wheeler and ride around town. Truth be told i want to build an electric car bit compromised with my wife. Ill build fully functional mower. Then tackle the car.
>>
>>1030012
Electric cars that aren't shit are still expensive and there's no advantage to DIY unless you are bored out of your mind and the "advantage" is you don't want to build something useful. Major makers have long produced better machines than you can even come close to DIYing.

An electric mower COULD be worthwhile and much more useful and fun than a shitty car. You can use tractor PTO slipper clutches for your blades. Do NOT direct drive blades! That's a great way to damage your motor.

If you want a four wheeler the deck should be conventional but very easy to detach using ball lock pins.

All the motor and control shit has been done to death so see EV forums for best practices.

If you fit a large inverter you could run high power corded tools off the battery pack.

If you want high torque, electric forklifts aren't very expensive used especially if the battery pack is going. You don't necessarily need to use such a heavy pack in your build and can scrap all the heavy shit to pillage motor and controls.

An electric "yard utility vehicle" could kick ass if thoughtfully done. If you want to mow with it look into tractor "turf tires".
>>
What do you mean never mess with belts again? How bad at maintenance for your mower that you need to change the belts more than once every few years? I have had my rider for over six years and changed the belt once.
>>
>>1030181
If he gets rid of the belts and direct drives the blades that's a great way to damage motor bearings.

V-belts are great shock absorbers and function as slipper clutches.
>>
>>1029941
>I got 2 houses next door to each other and im tired of messing with these bs gassers.

Define "messing". It has no specific mechanical meaning. If carbed engines are a problem, convert to LP instead of petrol. It's easy and kits are much more affordable than throwing batteries on mower not designed for them. The kits can be transplanted to future mower engines. Kits abound on Ebay. Most forklifts, buffers etc moved to LP years ago because it doesn't go bad from sitting.

You WILL still replace consumable parts like belts and blades and idlers and what not. You can greatly simplify mowers with some study but wear parts are what they are.

You don't seem to understand what electrification is and is not good for. It's good for getting rid of petrol engines. That is all. It will increase your ground pressure if you run a large battery pack. For what you'll have in it you can run LP mowers for the rest of your life.

Electricity won't make your deck or any other mower parts last longer. Most mowers are made by AYP (American Yard Products) and while they are well supported aren't made to last for the ages.
>>
>>1029925
Belts save the shafts, rods, pistons, and transmission from damage when the blades impact debris in the yard. Make sure those gears have a keyway that will shear before the shaft twists or youll be a busy motherfucker.
>>
>>1030202
Mowers in the US are mainly produced by (MTD)
>>
I converted my mower to electric a while ago. To save on costs, I used the original engine in place of batteries and connected it to a dynamo to run the motors. That way, you can 'recharge' it in minutes instead of hours.
>>
>>1029925
pic of remote mower
>>
Pick up a pair of Emrax glider motors. 300V, 75KW motors, we used them on the electric SAE car. Cheaper than the Yasa motors everyone is using, but still plenty powerful.
>>
>>1030196

Yeah I like the idea of belts in theory for running the blades but the truth is with quality motors it doesn't matter.

I have a Raven MPV. I've whacked stumps with it, zero motor problems although you wouldn't want to do it continually.

If you're gonna be hitting shit, clean your fucking yard

The unstoppable torque of direct drive electric blades is just nuts. Simply nuts.

I also have one of the Kobalt 40v double cut electric mowers. Unstoppable. Fucking. Torque. The only downside on that one is the tiny blades.

Do like a raven and make it a hybrid with a nice Honda Generator powering it.

OR BE LIKE A FREIGHT LOCOMOTIVE

DIESEL ENGINE generator powering electric motors
>>
>>1030152
Thanks anon. Interesting with the slipper clutch idea. I work 7 miles from home and have always wanted an electric car. Not sure why. I get its expensive. But with this part time job i just got i can fund one in the future. Mostly for shits and gigs. Im assuming if i do good job i can get my money back in the future for another project if i choose. If not, oe well.

Digging thr idea of a portable power pack for power tools too anon. Didnt even think of that one.
>>
>>1030181
Well. I have a few throw away mowers with bent decks and bearing trouble. Plus i dont want to mess with the belt when i unpin the deck.

I dont typically have a ton of belt trouble, but when i posted this i just got in from throwing 1 and was pissed.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467399306707.jpg (93KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467399306707.jpg
93KB, 540x960px
>>1030943
>>
>>1031140
Raven is where i stole this idea from. I know mine will cost more but i want to customize my own accessories and soend money on it whenever i can rather than blow 3 grand or make payments.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.