[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in the planning stages of building some shelving. Are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: logcrosssection.jpg (49KB, 640x500px) Image search: [Google]
logcrosssection.jpg
49KB, 640x500px
I'm in the planning stages of building some shelving.
Are there any good joints I can cut into pieces of wood to stick them together or should I just get some metal parts to stick on the inside and try to reinforce it.
I want it to be hidden from the outside but I'd like to make it sturdy. I'm mostly just using a circular saw and the blades way to big for something detailed but I got some free time would butterfly joints weaken it?
The shelf is going to be angled to cover the floor at a 90 degree angle sort of like L shaped to fit a corner so it'll have at least 6 points where it joins in.

I'm thinking this might be too big of a project for my experience with the amount of money it'll cost to get it done. I really want to make something fit this space so I'm trying to come up with ideas to make this work, I just know roughly how I want the primary structure to be before I get into adding hinges and stuff or trying to disguise it.
I know what I want it to do over all but need to get a better mental picture of the smaller details I been thinking about this for a few years now and it keeps changing from picking different things to build and fit around that room I don't think I'll ever start if I don't work out the smaller details.
>>
you've been planning on building a shelf for a few YEARS? are you mentally disabled?
>>
>>1029494
No I been thinking of what to build in there for a few years. It started out that it was going to be a bed frame but the ceiling was too low.

Mostly I just want it to stand up to getting bashed. at with a hammer or something so I'm probably going to use plywood for the parts covering the frame.
>>
>>1029497
Well the ceiling was the deciding factor, there is other shelving and drawers in there too that take up a lot of the floor space.
I don't really live there all the time I have to leave for months at a time. But like in terms of how much space it takes up I'm pretty set on this.
>>
>>1029501

Your sentences are rambling and barely intelligible. If you aren't capable of stringing thoughts together coherently you shouldn't be using power tools. Can you rub together your few brain cells and try to explain WHAT you want? Are you capable of drawing and measuring what you need? It doesn't sound like it and either way you're going to go full homer simpson on anything you attempt to construct otherwise. What the fuck are we supposed to help you with?
>>
>>1029503
I've done minor woodwork, the stuff I got paid for was superficial look nice stuff onto an already existing structure I didn't get to plan those out ahead of time. That means I had to measure it. It doesn't look nice if you don't measure it to fit. I suppose it takes a few more brain cells that having /o/ or /diy/ threads open to shit post but why don't you decide?
I don't need to draw it, just write down the measurements for the right spots I know how it goes together in my mind.
>>
>>1029503
I'm trying to think of why you're being such a big faggot and the only thing I can come up with is that you don't think I can't sit around for fucking hours and fit butterfly joints together after I cut out the major pieces, unless your a /pol/ poster that came here to build a log cabin because it sounds so great to live off the grid.
>>
>>1029493
>shelving
>stick them together
>butterfly joints

wat?

this is why you draw it out
>>
>>1029524
Well I been throwing a few back and don't usually tell people what I'm really going to do so it might not sound concise. It's going to be more of a cabinet. Just going to build shelving onto it.
>>
>>1029528
The cabinet parts not important there's not going to be anything valuable in there. It'll just look like sturdy shelving that's too heavy and big to pick up for one person.
>>
>>1029493
>building some shelving
OK, easy
>I want joints to be hidden from the outside but I'd like to make it sturdy.
Sure, we can think something out
>The shelf is going to be angled to cover the floor at a 90 degree angle sort of like L shaped to fit a corner so it'll have at least 6 points where it joins in.
Err... What?
> I just know roughly how I want the primary structure to be before I get into adding hinges and stuff or trying to disguise it.
Wait, so now it has doors? So it's like a cabinet of some sort?

Nigga WTF are you trying to make? Make some rough sketch in MS Paint and post it in thread because from your vague descriptions I have no idea what do you want.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.