[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I pour a floor? I need a cement garage floor. I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: What-is-cement16.jpg (213KB, 1549x1200px) Image search: [Google]
What-is-cement16.jpg
213KB, 1549x1200px
How do I pour a floor?

I need a cement garage floor. I have dirt right now.

I have the floor dug down 4 inches and levelled. Sides are delineated with 2x4's. Bought some chicken wire to reinforce the bottom of the slab

What do I do when the cement truck shows up? What is the procedure like?

Is the general technique to just spread it around and make it as smooth as possible? Any tools you can recommend buying?

I plan to do a 10x20 slab alone...i have no friends other than you.
>>
>>1029181
>I plan to do a 10x20 slab alone...i have no friends other than you.
Holy shit dude you're gonna fuck this up so badly. Post pics.
>>
>>1029194
i know

( ._.)
>>
>>1029181
Here, maybe this will help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_xFIhvi6fc
>>
Watch a goddamn video OP, YOU WILLL FUCK THIS UP IF YOU HAVE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE!
>>
>>1029181
you pay someone to do it for you.
you need a cement truck to do this. now imagine needing to break up and cart a few tons of fucked up concrete and rebar away when you fuck it up. honestly you need a professional for this. unless you know somebody who can give you a few weeks training so you know how to do it.
>>
>>1029181
I'm assuming the truck is just gonna slosh the concrete into the area you prepared, assuming they can pull right up to it. just ask the the driver be like "bro I never did this before, just give me the 5 minute how to.

my best advice is use the shoot off the truck to spread it evenly that way.

you're gonna want a shovel, a big broom, some plastic sheeting to keep it from drying too fast [idk what kind ur getting sometimes its okay to let it cure on its own without misting water for 3 days] and a big trowel.

its just like spreading lots of sand around.. very fluid but you can easily leave tool marks. watch a few youtube videos before the truck shows up. there is a time period that you want to let it setup, and cure before you put your final texture on it. and even if there's some spots you kinda fuck up, you can just buy a few 50lb bags of pure Portland, and smuck it around to level out any tool marks and get a smoother finish/fill in holes from bubbles.
>>
>>1029209
>now imagine needing to break up and cart a few tons of fucked up concrete and rebar away when you fuck it up
>concrete and rebar
>rebar

Nope. Chicken wire is what he's using.
>>
>>1029181
You will fuck this up on first try.
Please save yourself trouble and let somene do it
>>
>>1029181
Get rid of that chicken wire for a start unless you want the guy to laugh at you.
You need a sheet of DPM on the bottom to stop the concrete losing water or sucking up salt and shit from the ground and killing itself.
Get the truck to spread it a bit then get in with a spade. You will need a friend to help with tamping down.
If you want it textured then let it sit for a bit then run a brush over it.
>>
>>1029181
Shit man this is like seeing a dog that just got hit by a truck, you want to help but know it's too far gone.
>>
>>1029181
put down some screening and tamp it. dont pour straight on dirt.
chicken wire is too light to do anything so throw that away. get some proper wire mesh from home depot or whatever. if you want to do the extra step lay some sort of vapour barrier/membrane between the soil and screening. feels a bit overkill but thats the way they do it for ice rinks so it must help
>>
File: kat.jpg (45KB, 640x727px) Image search: [Google]
kat.jpg
45KB, 640x727px
Titles of OPs next thread some time from now:

>How do break up a 10x20' slab myself?

>Cracks in slab everywhere, how do i patch?

>Will chunks of concrete be ok to move in my geo metro?
>>
>>1029181
When we did it for our garden ahet we just dug a hole, put planks around it, threw some cheap rebar in the ditch and then let the truck pour concrete into it. The planks were level and it was a bit to much concrete so we just slid another plank over the two parallel ones on each side of the ditch and wiggled it around while moving over the whole area. The finish was decent enough but it was a pain in the area to clean up the concrete that we shoved beneath the pit.

Also we just poured it straight on dirt, still looks decent after 11 years.

Doing this alone is really hard though. Can't you ask a neighbour or something?
>>
File: thingy.jpg (52KB, 636x424px)
thingy.jpg
52KB, 636x424px
>>1029209
>you need a cement truck to do this.
no you dont, but a helping hand (or two) would be nice (one to mix the concrete, another to carry and one to level the floor)

op, i know none of these terms in english, but you need a large very straight "ruler" (either aluminium or wood) and a plain level (a long but thin of "nylon" string and some nails would also work but ill omit that).
after you have decided how tall the concrete flooring should be you need to create some small concrete bumps along the room using the ruler and the level to guarantee that the height of the bumps is correct and that the floor will be plain in all directions (or have a slight slope to one side), make sure that these bumps are spaced along distances smaller than your ruler.
then mix concrete, poor it on the side of the room opposite from the door and start leveling the concrete between the bumps, making sure that the "scanline" of concrete is the same height of the bumps, use the ruler atop of it to spread and level the concrete (jiggle it side to side and pull it slightly towards you) between the bumps
use the back of your concrete "spoon" or pic related to smooth the surface if you want to as you go
keep doing it till you reach the door/entrance
your concrete mixture should be a bit runnier/moister than usual and at a ratio of 5/1 (sand-conglomerate/cement), why too much cement will make the floor crack as it dries (you can combat the crack by wetting the floor after it start drying), if you can seal the division do it, the extra humidity/heat will help it settle and harden nicely.
gl

>ty for reading my blog
>t. occasional construction worker
>>
>>1029463
replace "plain level" with "spirit level"
>>
chicken wire for reinforcement? are you doing paper mache lol use thick material man and post pictures after
>>
>>1029181
The chicken wire will do little to reinforce it.

Also you will completely fuck it up, finishing concrete is way harder than it appears.
>>
>chicken wire
This ain't how reinforcement works OP. Even less so if you just throw it on the ground and pour concrete over which I suspect you are going to do. Use a welded wire mesh at least. It has to be *inside* the concrete for it to work. You need to use spacers to lift it off the ground for an inch or so.

You might also want to use a concrete vibrator, otherwise you're bound to get random air pockets all over the slab.
>>
>>1029181
>I plan to do a 10x20 slab alone

Don't pour it as a single slab. You don't need to do that so do two 10x10s. You can reasonably float out a 10x10 yourself.

I did a 20x20 with three bros over railroad gravel (it doesnt' compact and I needed some elevation so I ordered a truckload and had plenty left over) and ordered my concrete with fiberglass additive. Depth is 6" for future machinery. I mounted an old-style "racetrack" auto body pulling setup to it. No problems, no cracks ten years later.

Fuck that "I must do everything solo" shit. I do ALMOST everything solo but sometimes that isn't smart or efficient.
>>
>>1029181

I'm pretty sure you would mix the cement yourself

also your sound studio a shit
>>
>>1029181
1. If you're going to build a a garage you need to have at least a foot of packed gravel under it. Dig down another foot or at least 6 inches and have 6" packed above and under.
2. Post an ad for concrete finisher needed and hire a licensed finisher for cash. Around here (manitoba) I'd offer 200 to help you float because you don't want to buy the tools and you want him to finish.
3. I can't fathom how you thought chicken wire would help anything. You're putting hundreds of pounds on single strand wire, it'll never have a chance. You need gravel
4. Don't be scared to make mistakes spreading, that's the easy part. This will be a good learning experience.

Source: 8 years in heavy construction
>>
>>1029181
What area do you live in?
>>
>>1029209
You can rent a concrete mixer for a day, don't do bullshits like pouring in two different days, once you start pouring, you pour it all or the concrete will lose strenght.
>>
File: picture unrelated.jpg (213KB, 800x954px) Image search: [Google]
picture unrelated.jpg
213KB, 800x954px
>>1029786
>I can't fathom how you thought chicken wire would help anything
Many people just have no idea what reinforcement does. They think it's okay as long as there's something metal in there. I was laying out rebar once for the slab to cover the 1.5 meter gap across my garage floor right where my car wheels end up (there's sort of a cellar down there) when a neighbour guy came to me and said "ey what a waste of time, just throw in some old bicycles and shit and it'll be fine". What the fuck really.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (19KB, 480x360px)
hqdefault (1).jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>1029181
First you will need to lay ballast on the ground then you put damp proof course on the ballast. also you should think about renting one of these (vibrating screed).
>>
>>1029463
That's how I do a concrete screed it's probably the most fool proof way to do it.
>>
>>1029181
Make a frame with boards. run a long board over the top to smooth it. sweep it with a broom after it sets a bit to give the nice finish of those line you see on sidewalks
>>
>>1029181
You live in NY or any of the tri-state area?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.