[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I dun goofed and I need to recommendations on how

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20160718_112628.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160718_112628.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Hey /diy/, I dun goofed and I need to recommendations on how to go about fixing this circuit board. It's part of a small keyboard I play. I accidentally plugged in a power adapter for 18v, where the keyboard can only handle 12v. It burned out this little fuse here, and customer support (which is overseas) tells me I have to buy a whole new board from them. In earlier models of this keyboard, it used to utilize glass tube fuses, and my board appears to have soldering points so I could just add a glass fuse housing. Should I DIY it, or just buy? the board to be safe?
>>
How much do they charge and how many other boards are there?
>>
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/circuit-protection/fuses/655421

Only 22,156 types to sort through. Throw me a bone, man. Or a better picture.
>>
The board is designed to take the small surface mount fuse AND the bigger old style fuse holder for glass fuses. Buy the larger fuse holder and a 12v fuse of suitable current and fit - easy as.

ebay 20mm fuse holder clip
>>
File: 20160719_154621-1.jpg (2MB, 2052x1968px) Image search: [Google]
20160719_154621-1.jpg
2MB, 2052x1968px
>>1028771
Thanks for the link. I've never dealt with these types of soldered fuses before, I'm only familiar with the glass tubes. Here's the piece from the rear. The squiggle is only a scratch on the lens
>>
>>1028769
They say the price for them to ship me a new board is $60 plus shipping, so I want to avoid that if possible by implementing the traditional fuse housing. As for other boards, there's only 2 in the keyboard

>>1028787
Thanks, this was what I was hoping to hear. How should I remove the old fuse to ensure the current runs through the replacement one? Or is that not necessary?
>>
>>1028798
>How should I remove the old fuse to ensure the current runs through the replacement one? Or is that not necessary?
Very carefully desolder the silver contacts on the top of the board, the bottom is a resistor, dont fuck with it.
>>
Not needed, the fuse holders you will be fitting will keep the new glass fuse above the remains of the old one and the old fuse is blown so it will have no effect.

However, you may find the board is fucked anyway - if the old fuse was a poly one (which is supposed to reset after it cools down) and its been blown apart then it suggests your board may have been fried.

I'd check by just bridging the glass fuse holder contacts with a wire and if it works I'd only then buy the bits.
>>
>>1028798
There are a few possibilities here. Ideally the fuse blew on your board and nothing else got damaged. But it could be that the board got damaged and will proceed to fuck up the other board once you power it up. If it was me I would disconnect the other board if possible and check the voltages with a multimeter. Good luck.
>>
>>1028796
that's a jumper not a fuse, notice the 0 ohm rating
>>
File: 1459252575199.png (279KB, 1503x733px) Image search: [Google]
1459252575199.png
279KB, 1503x733px
>>1028765
get yourself a solder pump melt the solder in the through holes and add your own socket. but before you do, i'd solder a wire across and plug it into 12v to see if it still works
>>
OP here. Thanks for the help. I'm buying a socket and 250v fuse tomorrow and I'll post results. For everyone asking about the current still working, I checked and discovered that it still works fine, it's just the piece that burned out
>>
>>1029202
Just jump the fuse with a wire and check to see if the board still works.
You could also just use an automotive fuse and solder a little piece of wire to the legs. Cars always come with spare fuses so you wont have to buy anything
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.