[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone tell me if this is a stupid idea? My front bumper's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1469583096878[1].jpg (37KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1469583096878[1].jpg
37KB, 800x600px
Can someone tell me if this is a stupid idea?

My front bumper's tabs broke. Some have half ripped out like pic related, others it's just a slit that otherwise is closed.

Would it be a bad idea to use fiberglass to reinforce the slit tabs? What about using fiberglass to rebuild the tabs that are ripped?
>>
File: 1469583199535[1].jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469583199535[1].jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>>1028710
Here's what a "slit" tab looks like
>>
ZIPTIES
>>
>>1028710

i melted steel mesh into the plastic bumper for reinforcement - worked just fine
>>
File: IMAG0426.jpg (417KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0426.jpg
417KB, 1600x1200px
Drill hole and ziptie seriously why is this a question
>>
>>1028724
Needs more zipties
>>
Fiberglass doesn't stick to bumper plastic. Don't bother.

One trick which works very well is remove your bumper cover (that's not really a bumper), clean the adacent surfaces with rubbing alcohol, then put a bead of clear RTV silicone on one side and install the bumper. RTV won't damage anything, will peel off if you need to remove the bumper, and holds quite well when cured.

We used this at a used car lot where we didn't want to repaint another bumper cover and couldn't find the right color off a salvage vehicle. I've done it on my one vehicles. RTV is also good for holding small interior plastic parts whose tabs broke off.

You can get chemical plastic welding kits etc. too. Visit your local auto paint store, they are current on all that stuff.

Some automotive metal structural adhesives are so good they are used in new construction, and repairs pass crash tests.

http://www.lord.com/products-and-solutions/brands/fusor---aftermarket-repair-adhesives
>>
Try some JB Weld. Put a decent amount so it's like rebuilding the plastic. Or drill new hole. Zip ties are retarded. You could get a thin 1 or 2 millimeter bracket from lowes and fabricate something over it. Maybe cut out a thin strip of metal, drill a few small holes up a ways, attach the bracket, and have it run down to where the hole is now. Drill a hole in the metal bracket over the existing hole. Now you can attach your bumper from the same spot but it will have a metal hole. Be creative but neat, you're gonna have to fabricate something here.
>>
>>1028724
super idea, you shoulda just used duct tape
>>
>>1028790
>zip ties are retarded
my JDM tyte street cred isn't retarded
>>
>>1028716
>i melted steel mesh into the plastic bumper for reinforcement - worked just fine
This. Get a soldering iron and melt the cracks together.

Then cut a steel mesh to shape or use use a paperclip or something like that. Place it over the plastic, and lay the soldering tip on it until the paperclip is hot enough to melt into the plastic.
Or just buy JB weld or Epoxy from the hardware store. Then build it back up, and drill it.
>>
>>1028710
ive done this before (fiberglass with resin+activator) and it worked out pretty fine (have no pics though, sry)
make sure you roughly sand the parts where the fiberglass is going to stick to, and if you can weave some of the cloth fibers into the plastic (drill or melt some tinny wholes) its even better. try to get the lowest amount of air bubbles in the resin as you can, then after its dry just sand off the excess resin and paint over if you want
do note that the places with the glassfiber will be harder than the remaining plastic bumper, so take that into account before doing anything, so you can still bend the bumper a bit if you need to to plug it back in
gl
>>
>>1028724
How many seconds does pic last after starting?
>>
>>1028710
Get some loctite plastic epoxy and make it stick together
>>
>>1028710
if you want it to look proper just buy a new bumper. they arent that expensive.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.