[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight, any recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 18

Got a 20% off coupon for Harbor Freight, any recommendations on what I should get?
>>
What do you need?

Get that.
>>
pleb

there is a 25% that ends today
>>
File: 1408134428889.jpg (754KB, 795x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1408134428889.jpg
754KB, 795x1024px
>>1027598
Anything not made specifically for Harbor Freight. They carry stuff like Liquid Wrench, WD-40, Evaporust, etc. My local one also has cleaning products like Simple Green.

>but I want tools

Read the reviews on their website. If it has 3 stars or less its garbage.

Things specifically to avoid:
Anything electrical (it will be underpowered or die on you {their grinders are decent though})
Anything sharp (it wont stay that way)
Anything you hit or hit stuff with (hammers, anvils, bench vices; they shatter)
Clamps (all of them are terrible)
Anything that could kill you if it fails (grinding wheels, jacks, engine hoists, etc)
Anything that has to hold up to the elements (tarps, greenhouses, storage lockers and sheds, etc)
Anything pneumatic (tools, compressors, inflatable tires, etc)
Any kind of wrench with a movable jaw (adjustable wrench, pipe wrench, 'Channellocks', etc)

Things that might be decent under light use:
Sockets (their ratchets are shit though)
Combo wrenches
Screwdrivers/Allen keys/etc
>>
>>1027607
Thanks a lot!
>>
dragon dildo
>>
>>1027618
Shiiiiiiet I wish lol
>>
>>1027598
70 gallon dust extractor
12 ton press
Everything else is cheap, or not worth buying
>>
>>1027598

today is 25% off, OP
>>
>>1027598
The full size wood lathe, use the cost savings to buy a decent set of chisels.
>>
>>1027607
You just said to avoid a lot of the only stuff they have that's solid.
>>
>>1027607
The bar clamps are good if you follow what paul steller does.
>>
>>1027607
Let me guess who made that parody ad - Snap-On.
>>
I like their digital calipers. I have Mitutoyo for machine shop use but HF are cheap enough to use for other things and are surprisingly accurate.
>>
>>1027607
found the tool-abuser
>>
Tbh last time I was in I just used the free coupon for a multimeter

It's like a $6 box that somehow does the job as well as my $75 meter
>>
>>1027669
>actually thinking a premium tool company gives a shit about harbor freight

You dont have to be a box truck tool user to realize that the vast majority of Harbor Freight stuff is pure fucking garbage.
>>
>>1027702
I got a free multimeter too.
The lead broke before I ever got to use it
>>
>>1027702
>>1027709
I used one once. The magic smoke got out the second I touched the leads to an extension cord to check its voltage drop.

So the next time I went I got the free screwdrivers. First time I went to use one the shaft came out of the handle. I'm no He-man or anything but one would expect a screwdriver to be able to handle someone trying to unscrew something with it.

Next time I went I got that free LED flashlight. That lasted about 4 month. I was using it to check the underside of my kitchen sink, I placed it on the counter as I needed both hands and it rolled off. It dropped about 3 feet and hit the linoleum floor, which was about 3 layers deep and spongy as fuck (I was living in a shithole rental at the time), and it's casing exploded like a hand grenade. I found bits of plastic on top of my refrigerator, in the dining room, inside the bowls for my mixer, everywhere.

The last time I went they were giving away a bundle of 3 shop towels. They were slighting more durable than the paper kind. If you held them up to your face you could still read a book through them. I used them until they got dirty and tossed them.

I don't take the free stuff anymore.
>>
>>1027715
I always wanted the magnetic tray, but I dont shop there very often at all.
I tend to not have coupons or forget when I go, so I have never gotten the tray.

The tape measure seemed ok.
>>
>>1027715
>get $0 HF multimeter
>immediately apply to live mains volltage
surprised you never ate the torch, desu.
you'd probably complain about the taste as well.
>>
>>1027734
Are you saying that you shouldnt expect it to be a fully functional multimeter?

Should I only expect half functionality out of every other item in the store too?
>>
>>1027739
I see where you coming from, but, srsly, should not be putting sub $15 (or even free) meters anywhere near mains - a lot of the expense in making good meters is protection against it blowing up at high voltage, and free is less of a bragain, if you picking bits of it out of your forehead afterwards.

Continuity, Low Voltage stuff, HF/sub $15 meter should/will be fine - dont need a $500 Fluke either for mains, just something above $50 may be advisable, or at least, legal. End of the day, you got to be realistic and realise, the cost savings are coming from somewhere, and, Free is Free, and Mains Voltage + Free is maybe not an advisable combo for your continued wellbeing.
>>
>>1027607
You're retarded, most of Harbor Freight's stuff is great for the weekend warrior. I have a ton of stuff from them like my tool box, sockets, rachets, adapters, wrenches, clamps, wire brushes, tape measure, scissors, torque wrench, breaker bar, etc. And guess what, they all get the job done. Am I a mechanic by trade? No. If I was, would I buy from them? No. But for all the rest of us weekend warriors their tools get the job done everytime and are half the cost. No average joe needs snapon if they're not using it everyday. It's always a good idea to buy cheap, then if something cheap breaks you know you use that tool a lot and should buy a better version. One of the first things I bought was an angle grinder and I told myself I'm gonna buy all top tier tools so they'll last forever. Picked up a Makita. Guess what? I used it for the job I needed and haven't touched it since. What a waste of money. You'll find a lot of tools end up getting limited use so no sense in spending crazy money. One thing I would reccomend a nice set of screwdrivers. That's the most used tool around the house. Light fixtures, cabinet hinges, outlets/faceplates, etc. The average homeowner should have a good set of screwdrivers.
>>
>>1027774
>if something cheap breaks you know you use that tool a lot and should buy a better version

This mentality is stupid. Seriously

Tools dont usually "break". Most harbor freight tools simply work very poor. You may be able to get a job done with them, but you would have been just as well off using a tool not made for the job. The only exception is their sockets.

Most of their cheap purpose made tools are shit.

You have let being a cheap jew pull the wool over your eyes.
>>
harbor frieghts quality of tools is very hit or miss however for something you will only need once like say a hammer drill or metal shears its not a bad deal and also when it comes to throw away tools like a saw used for cutting concrete board you may as well buy the cheapest pile of shit you can im a big fan of their bar clamps the quality is poor and they undoubtably bend all to shit after continuous use but the 3 dollar price tag versus how many i need and how often i need them just makes sense also love their little flush cut saw/multi tools or what ever you call them they cost like 20 bucks which is cheap considering any other brand goes for 80 up but as often as you use it its still a great deal despite the fact that 1 out of ten of them will self destruct in the first use yah not sure where i was going with this rant so im just gonna end it there hope it helps
>>
ps most of their tape measures are 1/8th to 1/4 off not a big deal if you work by yourself but when your shouting measurments to the cut guy and everything is coming back a quarter short its prety easy to figure out the common denominator dont waste your money
>>
>used 8gal compressor
>worked fine

>used $10 paint sprayer
>worked fine

>used cheap air fittings
>worked fine

>used cheap crescent wrenches
>little loose, but still worked fine

>used metric and standard wrench sets
>worked fine

>used heatshrink tubing
>worked fine

>used heat gun
>worked fine

>used rivet gun
>worked fine

>free multimeter
>makes great battery tester

>free magnet tray
>works great

>free scissors
>great for cutting all kinds of junk

>free batteries
>not fantastic but they keep the clock running fine

>free flashlights
>mediocre, lend to the people who never return things

>free tape measure and screwdrivers
>can never have enough of those, again, people who don't return things

some people expect too much....I've bought many things there and have had positive results; I believe I've only made a return once

if you're using it everyday for work, get the best you can afford, otherwise the savings are worth it
>>
>>1027936
This guy gets it.

The trick to succeeding at Harbor Freight is to read the reviews online. If every review is saying this thing broke within 2 minutes of use, stay far away. If all of the reviews are saying this product is great, buy away.

Some of their items can go head to head with the top brand, some are total shit. Most are in between.
>>
>>1027919
What's better for the average joe, $5,000 in SnapOn or $500 in Harbor Freight and replace a few tools that break with better ones? Why would I buy a $1,000 welding machine when I can get one for $100 that does weekend warrior stuff just fine. Most guys just need to weld the hoe head back on, or rig up some brackets. We're not building trailers or anything. A Harbor Freight rachet is fine to do your oil changes. Especially their rachet with the telescoping handle, that thing is the shit for extra leverage. Why pay $10 for a c-clamp when I can pay $5. You tighten the handle and it holds the stuff, just half the price. Some of their stuff is shit. But most of it is just fine. Their stuff is just fine, jack stands, jacks, compressors, motorcycle stands, so on and so on. I would reccomend getting power tools elsewhere unless you just need them for a once or twice use. Their chain saw sharpener works great however, and their leaf blower is fucking fantastic with two speeds and the mulching attachment works great too.
>>
I've never had any problems with any of their tools be it electric or otherwise. Only their cheapo 1$ paint brushes are turds and will only last 1 job, but at that price why would you waste solvent cleaning them when a can of paint thinner costs more than the brushes?
>>
>>1027970
>if its not harbor freight, it has to be the literal most expensive tool brand out there

Jesus christ, just listen to yourself
>>
What's with HF having the same product under 2 different model numbers with 2 different sets of reviews?
>>
>>1028273
Look at a label for their free multimeter, there are like 5 models.

They make revisions to their tools.
From what I can tell, its usually to make a tool cheaper.

I bought a power planer there recently. I grabbed the old revision rather than the new one. It has a better guide, and the metal platens were double the thickness.
>>
File: planer.jpg (222KB, 1331x722px) Image search: [Google]
planer.jpg
222KB, 1331x722px
>>1028281
A few other differences, the trigger is twice the size on the old one, it came with a dust bag when the new one doesnt. The red knob on the old one is to deflect dust into the left or the right into the bag.
The new one just has caps

And you can clearly see the platen thickness of the two.
>>
>>1028290
How can you tell online which one is the older one or better one? For some the pic is exactly the same
>>
>>1028300
I dont know.

I just happened to see both boxes in the store when I bought mine, so I compared the two IRL.

Also you never know, a new revision might actually fix a problem that an old version had
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 1151x1499px)
image.jpg
176KB, 1151x1499px
>>1028308
That's what they did with their new extendable rachet. They improved the new one by adding more teeth. I have the old green model and the new one is red. These are my pics of my green one. My works great though, love that thing. If it ever breaks I'll go grab the new model for sure.

Here's something cool, I just noticed the top rated review for the 1/4 X 3/8 extendable rachet on HF website is mine! But for some reason it doesn't link the pictures I posted. You have to scroll through a few pages of the reviews to see my pictures. I called myself DIY Dan because fuck that shit I'm not posting my real name lol
>>
>>1027645
i want one of their tiny 12 inch lathes so badbut idk how to use it.
>>
>>1027936
Their fucking air fittings are more expensive than lowes here
>>
>>1027669
It's a MAD magazine clip.
>>
>>1028359
The new Harbor Freight ratchets are pretty great, they arent cheap anymore though.
They cost more than a standard craftsman ratchet. Cost as much as the Kobalts do.

But they are really decent ratchets.

Their composite ratchets, their standard chromed ones, and the extendable ones all have the same internal parts.
>>
>>1028479
Thats the thing about Harbor Freight nowadays.

The stuff everyone says to buy is literally the same price (and in some cases same exact tool) as any other hardware store.
Thats not necessarily a problem, but they are no longer the bastion of dirt cheap tools.

The most of the stuff that isnt widespread to other stores, and hasnt went up in price is still complete crap.
>>
My US General 44" Bottom Tool Box is awesome from HF

Read the reviews online & know what to buy. Also HF is great for getting to use the coupon on things like: zip ties, batteries, disposable gloves, wd 40, etc.

HF is also fantastic for things you will use time for a job but never again.

I've also had mechanics tell me the impact sockets are just as good as snap on or right below snap on w/ a ridiculous fraction of price.
>>
File: image.jpg (98KB, 629x654px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98KB, 629x654px
>>1028479
>>1028486
>>1028487
I've noticed that too, it's worth shopping around. Sometimes you can find something in the same price range or better. Compare their generator to the one on Amazon, it's only $30 more. I know they have that coupon every now and then that let's you get it for about $100 but still, for $50 more you get twice the power output and two outlets instead of one.
>>
>>1027715
Isn't the flashlight aluminum? Or are you talking about those blue oval or red triangle things?
>>
>>1028486
They're actually a better quality (IMO) than Craftsman. Craftsman has become absolutely shit-tier in the past 20 years.
>>
>>1028731
Well, it does cost almost twice as much
>>
>>1027728
the magnetic tray is pwerful as fuck
>>
>>1028652
This one some years back. It had a plastic base, a thin sheet steel shaft and a big plastic lens and surround. It used two D-cell batteries and had 3? 5? LEDs for light. It was just an on/off type with a sliding switch on the shaft. When it hit the ground every piece of plastic on it exploded. The base, the lens, the switch even popped off but remained slightly attached. Bits an pieces everywhere.
>>
>>1028779
I know the ones you're talking about. They don't sell those anymore, haven't for probably 2-3 years. Now the freebie flashlights are all aluminum tubes using 3 AAA's for power, 5-6 small LEDs in them. Only plastic is the lens cover, reflector, and (rubber, actually) power button.
>>
File: 1462306965096.jpg (333KB, 782x1018px) Image search: [Google]
1462306965096.jpg
333KB, 782x1018px
>>1027607
This mite add to your final decision? Good Luck.
>>
>>1027598
the little IC engines are great. best thing you can get for a go-kart project.
>>
>>1027607
This guy probably works with tools every day
>>1027774
>>1027970
Weekend warrior as he says himself

Pick which way you want to go
>>
>>1027970
>Why would I buy a $1,000 welding machine when I can get one for $100 that does weekend warrior stuff just fine.
Because some people want to do more than just tacking 16GA together with birdshit.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hasn't smoked yet.
>>
>>1029339
It really is the worst argument you could use for harbor freight is bringing up the welders.

Even cheap 110v welders that cost 6 times what a harbor freight welder cost, are piss poor and almost worthless.

Buying a stick welder with non standard harbor freight proprietary rods that dont actually do much?
Retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (131KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131KB, 1200x1200px
>>1029412
Best screwdrivers in the store.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 717x1600px)
image.jpg
48KB, 717x1600px
>>1029415
The composite ratchets are surprisingly good. Got a 1/4DR I've been beating on for two years.
>>
File: image.jpg (202KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
202KB, 1024x768px
>>1029416
And why pay more for imported sockets at other stores, especially when you can get them I pretty colors?
>>
File: image.jpg (141KB, 1200x1200px)
image.jpg
141KB, 1200x1200px
>>1029418
And the best deal in the store is their step bits, especially on sale with the coupon.
>>
File: image.jpg (123KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
123KB, 750x563px
>>1029422
But their quick grips suck ass. I've broken a bucket on them. Just had some of their F clamps given to me but haven't tested them yet.
>>
>>1029416
i think i'll pick up a set of their stubby angle ratchets

anyone know anything about their 'admiral' carbide saw blades?
>>
>>1029426
Couldn't tell ya, I only buy Dewalt or Diablo blades. A good blade in a cheap saw is the way to go. In the most part I stay away from anything carbide at HF.
>>
>>1029426
>>1029428
HF's carbide is basically like brand-name tool steel.
>>
>>1029446
*cheap
>>
>>1029426
They are a very solid meh. They don't stay as sharp as a higher quality carbide blade and you can't sharpen them easily like you can with a non-carbide blade. I got a pile of old Craftsman Kromedge blades from a yard sale and even old and kinda dull they cut better than the HF one I had been using at that point. Once I put a bit of edge on them, which I'm not very skilled at yet, they left a cleaner cut then my HF blades and didn't bog my saw as much.
>>
>>1028281
Free multimeter?
Where do you see that? I could use one
>>
>>1030513
>use one
Unless you need it to test if your AA batteries are at full voltage they aren't of any use. Anything more demanding than that and either if will show the wrong results or the magic smoke will get out.
>>
File: image.png (527KB, 640x1136px)
image.png
527KB, 640x1136px
Dumb azz!
Look at date!
>>
File: xr37MV5.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px)
xr37MV5.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1028486
This whole set only cost me $5 NOT on sale...
>>
>>1030582
That tool is the minority of the store nowadays.

95% of harbor freight used to be exactly like that. Mainland china pot metal garbage tools at absurdly low prices.

Its just not like that anymore.
Also I used to have a very similar kit that was given to me close to 20 years ago.
Same exact ratchet, it was in a metal case.

Its really not worth 5$
>>
>>1030607
I for one am glad they're not like that anymore. Basically nowadays most of their tools are as good as any big box store brand for 1/3 the price.
>>
File: 20160731_013103_resized.jpg (506KB, 1170x2080px) Image search: [Google]
20160731_013103_resized.jpg
506KB, 1170x2080px
>>1030607
This one?
>>
>>1030582
the glossy shine of pure polished chinesium.
>>
>>1029423
DESU, I've given up on the idea of good quick clamps, bar clamps are far superior in terms of clamping force and simpler mechanically.
>>
>>1027598
Don't. Go to estate sales and buy dead grandpa tools. Even cheaper than harbor freight, and will last FOREVER instead of, you know, once. Actually, get the $10 "ah-OOH-ga" car horn, solid buy. My shitty nissan sounds like a fuckin model-t, it confuses the crap outta pedestrians.
>>
>>1031334
I've been to tons of estate sales and you know what? They're full of 30-50 year old cheap ass tools. Japan used to be just as bad as China in terms of tools. Korea, India tools are almost the worst. Heck they even made shitty economy tools in the USA When it was profitable. In one form or another, there has always been a Harbor Freight option.
>>
What should you get from Harbor Freight? Directions to a real tool store.
>>
>>1030680
Is that from Harbor Freight?

I wouldnt think they would have ever had Japanese tools.
>>
>>1031360
I dont ever have luck at garage or estate sales either.

I usually find people want way more money than the stuff is worth, or like you said its just really cheap junk

Estate sales the kids have usually picked anything of value, and then want 300$ for the floral sofa.
>>
>>1032039
one of the last estate sales I went to had cheapo no-name wrenches and stuff, and they wanted basically the same price that new ones would be from HF

(I like to think karma got them though....someone overflowed the toilet and it was dripping into the basement)
>>
File: hfc.jpg (3MB, 2488x2039px)
hfc.jpg
3MB, 2488x2039px
What should I get?

I'm getting the free light (I have a few and they are really good).

But what do I buy and get 25% off on?

I kinda want the car tent thing for my patio for shade when I'm doing large woodwork projects. But sweating is free.
>>
>>1032051
>What should I get?
you know they sell a lot of stuff, yes

the magnet trays are handy to have
>>
>>1032051
My store wont let you stack a 25% on a coupon
>>
>>1032067
No store will.

I've gotten lucky before and got 25% off of an open box 20" drill press even after asking the manager if it was allowed. I couldn't get out of that store fast enough.
>>
File: shittysaw.jpg (57KB, 789x450px) Image search: [Google]
shittysaw.jpg
57KB, 789x450px
How shitty is this saw?

Am I better off buying a Hitachi C10FCE2 10" saw for $100?
>>
>>1032073
Heard really good things about the Hitachi
I have a 12 inch saw, and the blades are really expensive. I wish I would have went with a 10 inch blade.

Sliding is great, but Im not sure how accurate a harbor freight slider would be
Im betting the Hitachi is more accurate, 10 inch blades deflect less and its not a slider.
>>
>>1032073
if you're gonna spend $200 on a saw, don't get one from HF
>>
>>1032091
$140, there's a coupon on that saw.
>>
>>1032092
still

if the cuts are important, I would want a name brand....even with less features
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.