[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to weld this on my old steel bike. Where can I get thet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: IMAG0125.jpg (2MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0125.jpg
2MB, 1824x3264px
I need to weld this on my old steel bike. Where can I get thet done, maybe a car bodyshop?
>>
File: IMAG0123.jpg (2MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0123.jpg
2MB, 1824x3264px
>>1027499
Other side, I think it was spot welded originally
>>
any place that welds, really.
>>
File: IMAG0124.jpg (2MB, 1824x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0124.jpg
2MB, 1824x3264px
>>1027502
This part needs to be soldered I think.
What do you think about the paint? I actually like the scuffy original paint, but as this bike is from 1979 do you think I should repaint it? There isnt any rot, just minor surface corrosion where the paint is chipped.
>>
>>1027509
>solder

Google brazing.
>>
>>1027521
That's what I had in mind, it's called soldering in my native language.
>>
>>1027499
Find someone who can braze, it would be quick and easy work for someone to fix

Its your typical brazed steel bike frame
>>
>>1027509
the two surfaces that you're mating will need to be clean and rust free for them to be brazed. as for the rest of the bike, if you don't mind the chipped up look, maybe get a cheap can of clear coat spray paint and paint it over the areas where the paint is chipped to prevent rust.
>>
>>1027499
local school that has welding course. i bet if you walked in they would do it for the experience.
>>
>>1027787
I think I'll let someone professional do it because I'm kissing the pavement if that brazing fails.
>>
>>1027523
In English soldering is something else, but it's a similar process.
>>
>>1027501
It does look welded, but lugged steel frame bikes are brazed so I'm guessing this is a cheaper frame? A properly brazed joint there will hold up better than those little spots. Ask at a good bike shop if they know anyone who still brazes.
>>
>>1027509
Don't braze it. That's only a way of sealing and is not structural. Go for a mig or tig weld. See auto repair, sheet metal fab, boiler maker it any other trade that witness with metal
>>
>>1027904
that entire bike was brazed
>>
File: wkh-chapter11-image004.gif (9KB, 499x360px) Image search: [Google]
wkh-chapter11-image004.gif
9KB, 499x360px
>>1027904
by your logic, glue is also not structural.
>>
>>1027904
What? Do you know what brazing is?
There's a billion bikes out there with brazed joints.
>>
>>1027904
Prat.
>>
>>1027904
>That's only a way of sealing and is not structural.

Shut up, fuck off and never respond from ignorance again. I've personally brazed many fabric cutting dies ("cookie cutters" using thousands of lbs of mechanical pressure to cut layers of tough synthetic fabric). They would often break (production use is brutal) at the parent metal and the brazed joints would be intact. We'd melt the braze, replace the steel, and put them back on the line.

Many tough vintage motorcycle frames including Harleys were brazed. Here's a stripped Norton offroad P11 Scrambler frame. Look at the joints. What do you fucking see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3_9OY2saqI

BTW I don't know why people with bicycle questions come here. It's as if they don't know bicycle forums exist! Coming to /diy/ for questions best answered in dedicated forums risks many dumbfuck replies like "hurr, durr, MIG it".

A skilled welder would know welding over a braze produces a weak joint and cleanup is often a bitch.

Find a small welding shop and explain you need it brazed. One way is to ask you local welding supply because they know all the local shops. Auto repair people don't braze any more with a very few exceptions who use MIG brazing (which is fun but rare in the US).

Bicycle brazing:

http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/2011/02/hand-brazing-bicycle-frame.html
>>
>>1028084
Recent motorcycle frame TIG brazing:

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=128002&sid=de3c6e275cc29a47446289f6b271f7bd

Fifth pic down shows torch brazing. When most US roads were dirt these rigid rear frames took serious pounding. Brazing is easier than acetylene welding (they use the same equipment) and resists shock well. A fair number of those frames are still on running "barn find" and restored motorcycles. Note the interesting torch head which resemble old underwater welding torch heads:

http://www.ridingvintage.com/2013/04/a-look-inside-harley-davidson-factory.html

If you get a torch you can learn brazing (and welding) quickly. Not worth it to fix one bicycle frame but serious gearheads and metal artists can make great use of a torch joining light metals. It's fun.

If Gramps kicks the bucket, snag his oxygen concentrator. You can run "aircraft" style and jewelers torches off them and a small fuel bottle easily. Many glass hobbyists use oxygen concentrators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAdfR5cqLPA

You can braze with propane which is cheaper than acetylene.

Small oxy-actylene torch outfits can be used with propane and you can buy LP tips for them and often use acetylene welding tips. Any US-made recent small OA torch set has soft parts compatible with LP. Avoid cheap foreign torches as their seals and soft parts are shit. It's fine to buy used torches off Craigslist. Victor, Radnor, Smith and Purox are quality brands.

Such an outfit could do bike frame joints.

Here's an informative thread. I'm "farmall"

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87931

Now go /diy/ something!
>>
>>1027787
>local school that has welding course. i bet if you walked in they would do it for the experience.

Good idea. Schools like examples. Sand areas about 1" beyond the joint area clean on the dangling tube and the lug it mounts on.

If you don't have emery cloth, a strip of nylon strapping tape converts any sandpaper to a tough strip which won't snap easily. You can use strips to "floss" tight areas.
>>
>>1027499
You can probly get a new chromoly frame for the same price as the brazing service.
>>
>>1027499
Theres tons of places that can weld it for you.
Do you care what it looks like afterwards or do you just want it welded?
>>
FIND LOCAL MUFFLER SHOP
ASK THEM IF THEY CAN WELD A JOINT FOR YOU
MOST LIKELY THEY SAY YES AND WILL DO IT FOR A FEW BUCKS
BIKE FIXED

jesus doesnt anyone here have a fucking brain? muffler shops are everywhere and they have welders.
>>
>>1028682
Read the thread please, it's supposed to be brazed not welded. I would have never figured that out on my own and I would probably go to a muffler place as you said to get it welded poorly.
>>
>>1028682
YEAH DEFINITELY STICK

400A AC 1/4" ROD ELEVEN PASSES SHOULD DO IT
>>
brazing needs good tight fitment to get proper capillary action and draw the brazing rod into the joint. OPs picture is not that. you need something that can fill a large gap and still be strong. i wouldnt trust a brazing and i braze literally almost every day.

ideally you would find someone who can TIG weld but any pro is going to cost more than that piece of shit frame. just go to your cities most hipster neighborhood with a pair of bolt cutters and /diyourself/ a new bike
>>
>>1028872
He said muffler shop, not pile of molten blob shop
>>
Definitely a welding school.
At my school the instructors always pick the best students in the group to do jobs like this (pretty easy since the incompetent idiots are always behind on the schedule and are therefore busy) so I wouldn't worry about the weld shitting up.

Also any halfway competent instructor will assist or at least check on the job to make sure it's been properly done.
>>
>>1027904
Tell that to Moser,
>>
File: IMG_5488 (Large).jpg (508KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5488 (Large).jpg
508KB, 1620x1080px
>>1027904
Brazing is a great joining method

Here is a pro frame builders work, Chris DeKerf of DeKerf Cycle

You are looking at a disc brake tab for a front fork for a tandem bike.
>>
>>1027499
Hey OP, if its a '79, then you should go over to bmxmuseum.com and chat about it there before you do anything.
But they'll also tell you how to prep so muffler shop or whatever can do a good job (if its not a valuable bike)
>>
>>1027787
Most schools are killing their shop classes.
And most body shop guys these days are pretty hack welders. They are actually glueing panels on now.
I weld and have body shops sending me stuff all the time cause they don't have anybody to do it.
It's a shame because the old timers were real craftsman.
Now a days they don't even attempt to straighten anything bent too badly, they just want to hit you're insurance for a new panel.
Check phone listings for a welding or fabrication shop.
>>
>>1027904
Harley Davidson used to braze their motorcycle frames together in the 50s & 60s and they weren't the only ones.
>>
Bikefags where to get mounting hardware for a fixed gear Shwinn?
>>
>>1031162
I get all my bike shit from other anons on bmxmuseum.com
For sale section has a new post like every 5 minutes.
>not a paid shill, bmxfag that restores barn finds and this is biggest/most helpful community I've found
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.