[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How effective is this? I'm tempted to try it. I have no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

File: d1111.png (642KB, 561x642px) Image search: [Google]
d1111.png
642KB, 561x642px
How effective is this? I'm tempted to try it. I have no money for a window air conditioner, and I don't want it to destroy my electric bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxSLbpAwibg
>>
>>1027206
Its alright if you want to just blow on you, but if you are thinking this will cool a room it wont.
>>
>>1027206
Ice has to come from somewhere. Is it coming from your freezer? You still got to pay money to freeze it and its not going to be any cheaper than an AC. Buy a nice fan and have it blow on your back. If you get really hot an ice pack on your neck will cool you off.
>>
>>1027211
Yes but the freezer would be on anyways. And I would think it'd cool the room to some extent. Better than my room fan at the moment, which just heats up the room after a certain amount of time.
>>
You would do better building an evaporative cooler unless you live in the tropics.

Send some heat to me please 9c and have to diy outside in wind.
>>
>>1027211
Not to mention laws of thermodynamics means you're raising the temp in your kitchen by the same amount your home depot cooler can cool it.
>>
>>1027220
A freezer is a heat pump. A freezer with nothing in it will heat the room less than a freezer that's making ice.
>>
>>1027246
So as long as I don't care that my Kitchen will get warmer, this can still be worth it?
>>
>>1027254
Not really, no. It takes the same amount of energy to cool something, regardless if its an AC or a fridge. So instead of spending money to run your AC you will spend money to run your fridge. The cost will be able the same.
>>
>>1027254

Plus, most AC units handle humidity internally. This thing is going to spread water vapor all over your house, likely making the problem worse
>>
Go shopping if you can't stand the heat of the day. Most malls don't give a shit if you loiter on your phone/tablet/laptop in the food court all day. Turn the temp on the ac up as you go.

Since your ac is cooling the air your frig is cranking out you're spending more money on power than you would just turning on a fan. I wouldn't recommend this unless your frig is outside in a garage or something. You're still paying for the power to cool the water but at least you're not paying to cool the air the frig is generating. Even then you should turn up the ac for the whole house and lock yourself in a room with it directed at you to get the most out of it.
>>
File: 1468997076001.jpg (3KB, 200x138px) Image search: [Google]
1468997076001.jpg
3KB, 200x138px
I know this is /container/ tier, but I've always liked the idea of a thermoelectric cooling vest, or just socks even.
Would sell like hotcakes at conventions, but peltier elements aren't exactly efficient enough, not even considering the necessary heat dissipation to create a good enough differential.

For hot summer days I usually do like Gendo does in vid related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW6KG2U4ZJQ
>>
>>1027246
If you think your freezer raises the temperature of your kitchen as much as it lowers the temperature of it's contents, you're pure retard.
>>
>>1027292
>This thing is going to spread water vapor all over your house
oh god how I miss normal ACs, fucking swamp coolers literally only function by blowing water into the air to cool it down. Once they produce muggy humid air it just heats up again anyway. Fucking deserts suck, came from an island and would choose humid yet cool rather than hot or hot and humid.
>>
>>1027312
Not temperature, energy. The frig removes the energy, in the form of heat, from its contents and dumps that energy into the house. The AC then needs to transfer that energy, heat, outside the house.

Of course no energy transfer is perfect. Add a few assumptions, like he isn't going to isolate the blower on himself, turn up the ac, isolate himself in a room, etc it comes out as less efficient for money. If he is doing all of those other things, the isolation mostly, he can close a few vents in his house, turn the ac temp up. Remove the vent in his isolation room to increase airflow and he will have 1 cool room and several furnace rooms for less money than he's paying now and no gimmicky fanned ice.
>>
>>1027345
You need to open a window bro. A proper evap cooler needs to push old air out of the house as it dumps fresh cool air in. In a house built with evap in mind they will install baffles that open when the cooler is on (usually from air pressure.).

If you have an evap window unit, you need to open windows in the rooms that need to be cooled. They should only stop working well when the outside air is a high humidity.

I realize opening a window is counter intuitive for air conditioning, but that is a key difference between heat pumps and evap.

I live in the desert and use evap regularly with no issues, except when it rains.
>>
How big of a space can I cool with an evaporative cooler? It is some Champion model, and the pads seem old.
How do I maximize the cooling effect? This one does not mount onto a window or on top of the house.
>>
>>1027312
>muh efficiency losses

if you make a device which can cool one area without adding that same energy back into the environment with 0 losses, you better be getting a fucking nobel prize.
>>
>>1027211
Nah. Ice pack on your head or in your hands. Works strangely great.
>>
>>1027312
yup, it puts the heat removed from the ice into the kitchen, plus the heat from friction and operation of the motor and whatnot...
>>
>>1027206
look at it this way... it takes 143 btu's to push 1 pound of water from liquid to freezing... (the sensible heat is something like 1 btu per pound per degree so it's negligible by comparison) a pound of ice is about a pint of water so you can probably put about 2 gallons worth in that bucket with the holes halfway down... or 16 pints of water... when frozen into ice this can absorb 2,288 btu's of heat from the room before it'll all melt.. (the latent heat required to push it through the phase change) so thats all 1 bucket of ice will pull from the room before your gonna have to refill it, also the speed at which this happens will depend a lot on how much airflow you have through the bucket..

by comparison a window air conditioner will pull out about 5000 btu's EVERY HOUR... so to get the same effect from your bucket contraption you'd need to have at least 2 of them, and have enough airflow to melt all the ice every hour...

look I know everyone posts these threads, and everyone wants to be cool, and buyfagging is generally frowned upon, but in the case of air conditioning you are literally better off spending your time going to the "labor" gigs on craigslist, finding someone who needs something carried, or a hole dug, and doing that for a day... then taking the money and buying a proper air conditioner, they can be had for less than 150$
>>
>>1027422
Exactly. "Muh swamp cooler" needs to be on the standard meme list and bingo card right next to the crab meat. Swamp coolers are ridiculous pieces of shit.
>>
>>1027505
they're better than nothing.... if your in an extremely dry area with no other options then it's worth considering.. however if your anywhere close enough to a store that sells the ice, buckets, or you have a refrigerator then your just as likely better off trying to buy a real window air conditioner by trading your labor or skills and time for compensation...
>>
>>1027422
You are acting like the evaporation does not absorb any heat, which is LOLINCORRECT, and so your math is all sorts of fucking gay.
>>
>>1027544
this isn't a true swamp cooler, it isn't blowing air over wet membrane to promote evaporation, it's blowing into a pile of ice... which will melt.. then provide a very minimal amount of cooling as it evaporates the water that has pooled at the bottom... with so little surface area your going to have to run the thing for a VERY long time to properly evaporate the water in the bucket and quite frankly aint nobody got time for that... also the heat absorbed in this manner is much less than that absorbed by melting the ice in the first place... so my math is LOLCLOSEENOUGH, and either way it's a fucking post on 4chan not a scientific study of this.
>>
Don't do it in a closed environment otherwise you will die of co2 poisoning, you want know what hit you, you would start to get sleepy then fall asleep and never wake up
>>
>>1027505
Swamp coolers work fucking great and are cheap as chips.

I'm not defending ops bucket bs, but i had a big boy swamp cooler cooling a 1600 sq ft house for years and it was great, and literally thousands of dollars cheaper than what my friends were paying
>>
>>1027505
>Exactly. "Muh swamp cooler" needs to be on the standard meme list and bingo card right next to the crab meat. Swamp coolers are ridiculous pieces of shit.
Swamp coolers work pretty well, in arid/desert environments--that is, places with very high temperatures and very low ambient humidity.
They both cool the air, and put a lot of humidity into it--which is doubly nice in that instance.
Some houses in these regions even have swap coolers integrated into the central AC systems.

Swamp coolers do NOT work in humid environments, any better than a plain fan would.
>>
File: Capture.png (439KB, 828x673px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
439KB, 828x673px
>>1027206
Get a 2'dia fan(or close to it) and 4 or 5 of these< nozzles.
Arrange them around the fan pointing into the airflow and let the water flow.

Called a misting fan. Test it outside first to make sure you have the nozzles set correctly so that you don't go spraying jets of water inside your house. You want the water to be atomized so it evaporates instantly.
>>
>>1027206
Water, ice, feet.
Sit down and do whatever and in less than five minutes youre comfy, i fucking guarantee it
>>
>>1027775
>then provide a very minimal amount of cooling
334 J/g is not minimal.

And you're also forgetting for every degree K water heats up it soaks up 4.18 J/g

Since 0C water is much cooler than OP's blistering hot 30C dwelling a few steps north of Hell, every gram of frozen water will absorb an additional 121 J of energy from the hot air.

Another way to look at this: water takes ABOUT 4 times the energy to heat up as air does per unit volume.

So, if you have 1m^3 of water, it can cool down per very degree difference air that's 4m^3 in volume.

if the DISTANCE in heat is not 1:1, say you have 0C water and 30C air, and WANT 20C air, you're cooling the air 10C but have 30C to play with -- so you can cool 12 m^3 air per every m^3 of 0C water you have from the ice.

The two modes of thermal transfer OP need solve are
- Exchange
- Conduction

Later is H = dT A (1/R), simple thermal dynamics is simple.

Exchange, you need to ASSUME is somewhere between 0.2 and 0.8 volumes/h. If the room FEELS quite stuffy, it's 0.2 to 0.4, if it feels drafty it's > 0.6

Say OP's room is 3x2.5x2.5 m, 18.75m^2 air. Say the 6 sides are ALL 35C in temperature, and OP would face heat stroke and DIE if he went outside.

3 * 2.5 * 4 + 2.5 * 2.5 * 2 = 30 + 12.5 = 42.5m^2.

Say the walls are insulated to R=14 (imp, 5.678 imp-R/Si-R),

we WANT 20C inside so OP lives,
H = 10K * (1/(14R/5.678)) * 42.5m^2 = 172W to fight this heat.

In frozen water, 1 piddling GRAM of ice will give us 455J/172J = 2.6 seconds of cold.

Say we want 10 hours, 36,000 seconds, we need 13.8 liters of ice.

That's not much, now is it. That's 3.4 gallons.

Now, we also have EXCHANGE, say OP's room is drafty as fuck, 0.8 exchanges per hour 18.75m^3 air, it's death heat 35C outside, 15K tD, = 2,250,000 J of energy!

We need ANOTHER 4.9 liters of ice to handle this thermal load.

Sum being 18.7 L ice = 4.9 gallons.

Vent your freezer to the outside and it won't heat the kitchen.
>>
>>1028580
That's pretty cool.
>>
>>1027206
Swamp coolers are fine for small areas, like tiny rooms (10x10) or a cubicle or something. Beyond that, nah, not worth the effort.
>>
>>1028580
>blistering hot 30C dwelling a few steps north of Hell

It was 42.2 degrees Celsius outside today where I live and thats not even that hot. I once lived someplace where it regularly hit 50 degrees C in the summer. 30 degrees is a nice fucking day.
>>
>>1027345
>>1027349
What this guy said. I live in the desert too and use evap cooler exclusively. Mine works awesome. Not muggy inside.
You have to open windows to work right.
>>
>>1029657
But also, the window/wall units work differently than a random bucket with holes drilled in it would. Not worth the effort. Just buy a proper unit from home depot or whatever
>>
>>1029657
>>1030242
Keep in mind, this bucket thing here is not the swamp cooler version. There is another video that uses this bucket and also the blue pads.

I have made the swamp cooler bucket with the blue pads and it works but you need to vent your room. If you don't, it will become muggy and the evaporative cooling effect doesn't work.

You have to feed the unit somehow with dry air from outdoors.
>>
>>1028580
this is definitely the kind of peoples i love to read on this board, thank you anon for sharing your mind on it
>>
Do you not have a central air unit? My duct work has holes all inside the duct work so I sealed off the bottom the house and drilled a hole into the crawl space and put plastic on the windows. Been working pretty good as I can keep the house at 65 with 80+ weather outside.
>>
>>1030355
>65
Are you comfortable at that low temp?
>>
>>1030372
Yes because if not spiders and critters would be crawling into my house right now. I need new duct work and new AC so this is the cheapest and ghettoist way right now.
>>
>>1030378
The thing is that I live in the tropics and lowering the AC to 77 is cold to me. So I can't imagine being comfortable at that temp unless wearing jackets and warm clothes inside the house.
Maybe you just get accustomed to low weather depending on where you live, but I live in a hot place so I don't know.
>>
>>1030381
Your body does adjust to temperatures over time. I couldn't stand anything above 75 outside. I'd just start sweating and my shirt would be wet. But 40-50 weather is shorts.
>>
>>1027309
I like the idea man, I feel like an evaporative system would be good for that
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.