[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so i bought a helicoil kit for my timing belt tensioner, on my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_20160718-221538.png (3MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160718-221538.png
3MB, 1440x2560px
so i bought a helicoil kit for my timing belt tensioner, on my subaru outback.
Its beeen a 2 month project, dont have time to do more research, someone please tell me what size helicoil i need to buy. The bolt is 9.6 mm thick on the threads, on a 14 mm bolt, is this standard ? or custom? I believe the pitch is 1.25 mm.

I also bought a 14mm tap when my original pklan was epoxy in the hole, drill , tap, it ended up being too large, how could that be?
is 1.25mm pitch bolts skinnier than 1.5 mm bolt?
Someone please explain, or just link me to the product i neeed. I may just sauce the car in gasoline and put a torch to it if i dont fix it this week.

Also, worst project thread?
I think a head gasket job on a ej25 with no automotive exp is a good candidate.

Whats yours?
>>
>>1024891
>i bought a helicoil kit
What was included in the kit?
>>
Worst project?
I have a 1978 Motobecane Mobylette in my garage that I've spent nearly a grand on and it still doesn't run. I bought the thing for 100. I'm quickly becoming my family's version of 'guy with a Trans Am up on blocks in his back yard because it'll totally run someday.'
>>
>>1024909
a kit for a 14mm spark plug threaad.
I just realized i should be looking for m14 thread. Someone pls confirm this.
>>
>>1024933
Do you mean that the bolt is 14mm at the head? Then it's not a M14. M bolts are measured at the threads so if your bolt was 9.6mm at thr threads then it's most likely a M10x1.25, if the pitch is indeed 1.25.

Get a thread pitch measuring tool to be sure.
>>
>>1024933
The thread is 10x1.25 you goose. If you have just the helicoils, you will have to tap it to m12x1.25 then insert the helicoil. I take it you know that you can remove the piece of alloy that the tensioner bolts to to make drilling easier?
>>
>>1025060
Also just realised you're doing the heads, I hope you have the motor out of the car.
>>
>>1024891
You're in way over your head. If you already put a 14mm hole in the engine block, you have already wrecked the engine.
>>
If I remember correctly from the other thread, the threaded hole is a blind hole. (doesn't go all the way through)
You'll need two taps:
a) A standard tap to start the threads properly
b) A bottoming tap to cut the threads to the bottom of the hole.

Depending on the depth of the hole, you may have to grind off part of leading end the 'regular' tap to even get it to start in the hole.
If you do, you can grind off more of it and make it into the bottoming tap.

You buying a 14mm spark plug helicoil kit makes me think you may be in over your head.
Seek local help too if there is someone to ask.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160709-113510.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160709-113510.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>1025065
>You're in way over your head. If you already put a 14mm hole in the engine block, you have already wrecked the engine.

lmao im not a complete idiot, i didnt drill 14mm into my engine head, its still the same 9.6 mm hole.

>>1025066

this all makes sense now, desu i am so sick of researching for this car. its been 2 months nearly and im working 50 hrs 6 days a week.

>>1025060
so i have to drill out with a 10 mm , but , then insert helicoil, and then tap?
>>
>>1024914
Checked moped forums? Lots of info to be had there. IDK how you managed to spend a grand but it's possible. Most frustrating two-stroke problems are crankcase seals. If they leak you can be in for some fun....
>>
>>1025087
There are plenty of videos and instructions for using threaded inserts published by the manufacturers. I strongly suggest reading them and looking at the pics. Videos on Youtube can be helpful too. Once used to it insert installs are easy, but describing them in a 4chan thread is not a good way to get the process across.

Also check BRAND SPECIFIC forums because someone else (usually many someones) will have done your desired repair.

If you aren't sure about using a pitch gauge, take your bolt to a hardware store, find a nut which fits, then note the thread pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3I6RRHK9dE

Part of learning how to perform mechanical tasks is systematic study. You can become quite efficient at it. I'm an experienced mechanic but I avoid assumptions and seek tech data for anything I've not done before. People are visual learners. Hit some Youtube videos to get a feel for your task.

This video is decent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3I6RRHK9dE
>>
>>1025100

Search Subaru "tensioner bolt helicoil". Your problem is common.
>>
>>1025097
It's not the US one, it's the French model. It's mostly because it sat in a barn for 20 years and half the parts are rotted out. Wheels, new carburetor, and so on just adds up quick.
>>
>>1025103
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/216650-stripped-timing-belt-tensioner-mounting-bolt-hole.html
>>
>>1025087
>so i have to drill out with a 10 mm , but , then insert helicoil, and then tap?
No, drill out to whatever is recommended for a 12x1.25 tap, will be 11 or 11.5mm. Then tap with the 12x1.25 tap, then insert the helicoil. The ID of the helicoil is 10mm, so you know have your 10x1.25 thread back. I've done heaps of these repairs, very common on the Subarus
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.