[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hope this is alright for this board. Recently moved into a new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: Awesome-Home-Bar-1.jpg (115KB, 630x503px) Image search: [Google]
Awesome-Home-Bar-1.jpg
115KB, 630x503px
Hope this is alright for this board.
Recently moved into a new home that came with a small bar in the basement (about 6x1 feet, with a large storage cabinet right beside it), I'm looking to install a beer tap.
So far I know very little, exceptthe tools and most items needed such as Co2 canister, fridge, granite drill ect.
What is the best way to go about installing it, and considering the size would I be able to mske it fit?
>>
Ehh, dunno if I'd want to keep a CO2 canister in a basement.
>>
>>1024464

As long as the OP isn't leaving the valve open he should be fine. He'd also be spending a lot of money on co2 if he were continually flooding his basement with it.
>>
>>1024430
heres an honest opinion - you really dont want to do this. Beer taps (and kegs, and lines, and Co2, and cleaning the fuckers, etc.) are pain enough in an actual bar - in your basement there is no way in fuck you will EVER use a volume that will make any sense/justify installing this crap.

If you really insist <sigh> google up 'diy keg fridge' or 'kegerator' or something, its your funeral.. honestly, Im not 'I knows better' or 'this is shit idea, GTFO' - but I have all that crap sitting there doing nothing from the last bar I was involved in, and, I'd genuinely drill a hole in my head before I'd install any of that domestic.

Get a good quality pro beer fridge, fill it with good bottled beer - enjoy, stress-free, be happy.
>>
>>1025256
Are you kidding? People do this in their basements all the time. Maybe you only drink one beer a year on amateur night, but I go through a half keg in a month with friends coming over.
And it ain't rocket science.
>>
>>1025256
>>1025262
I like to hear everyones opinion.
How much would the installation cost?
>>
>>1024464
>Ehh, dunno if I'd want to keep a CO2 canister in a basement.

>>1025256
>you really dont want to do this
>its your funeral.. honestly

Is this now the /diy/ muslim alcohol free board?
>>
I am also looking to build a bar in my basement what are some good resources I can read?
>>
>>1028421
https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/forums/home-bar.43/
>>
>>1024464
CO2 is heavier than air when at room temperature and sinks to the ground he'd need to pass out drunk on the floor with a full tank emptying rapidly to come to harm
But other posters are right it's only worth it if you go through a lot of beer with friends, if your alcoholism can be expressed by "keg per month" you've some meetings to spend your time at rather than this
>>
>>1027121
I don't fuck with enclosed spaces mang
>>
>>1028421
>what are some good resources
To you and OP, you need serious professional input on a job like this, it's expensive and complicated and if you do it wrong you're screwed.
You need to run your specs by an expert, maybe get in some professionals for an "estimate" so that they give you risk-free their list of recommended materials and equipment.
I helped on a job like this some years ago. The homeowner bought a used set-up, and he shouldn't have. There's a reason why it was for sale.
Sometimes you can find a bar or restaurant that has gone out of business, and they sell their equipment cheap. I wouldn't trust the "build a bar in your own home!" kits you see.
And going to a manufacturer's site for information is just an ad for their product, of course. If you want the online resource I use for projects, then let me know.
>>
>>1028498

>he'd need to pass out drunk on the floor

Hundreds of posters on /ck/ do this every night.
>>
>>1028498
>CO2 is heavier than air when at room temperature and sinks to the ground
Then it fills the room like the water will when it has nowhere to go. One day you forget to shut the valve after a party and whoever enters the basement first next day is in for a surprise.
>>
>>1028565
Sounds like Darwinian theory in action
>>1028651
My experience with flooding an area with CO2 is more on the horticultural side than beer but in my experience it's difficult to fill an area even if it's a basement, if the ventilation is that bad to begin with there's prolly a more important things to diy over
This worry can be easily avoided with a carbon dioxide/monoxide alarm
>>
>>1024430
Go to your local bar supply store and buy a CO regulator, tap, and the hoses. TlGo to a gas shop and get a tank of CO2. They will know what you need at bother places. Put a keg in a fridge, attach the tap, attach the regulator to the tank, mount a faucet somewhere all pretty, then attach all the hoses. Open up the regulator and the beer will flow. If those directions aren't clear enough for you to google the rest of the newer just have a dedicated beer fridge. Good luck OP and post pics when you're done.
>>
>>1029274

Pretty much that.

Or just buy a kegerator. Look for a used one from a bar or restaurant. You want a commercial unit, not dime cheap Best Buy junk. A big name is "True" is a reputable brand, I have one, no idea how old it is but it's been running continuously at my house for like 7 years and I haven't had a single problem with it. Perlick is another manufacturer, and now SubZero is in the game.

It's not totally DIY but you can still build out the bar around it and customize your riser and taps and you'll want to replace all the hoses and such too before installing.

CO2 systems are really pretty simple, just pressurized gas to push out liquid.

You can get plenty of info on beer homebrew forums.

DIY your own homebrew beer while you're at it and really take advantage of that keg setup.
>>
and, once you've got your professional gastronomy volume beer distribution system in place, and figured out how to sucessfully keg your own homebrew? - why, you can open a microbrewery! Like every other millenial retard!

Join us next week, when we will be discussing, how to grow your own hops and which trucks you should be looking at - after all, those kegs wont distribute themselves, y'all.
>>
>>1029315

Piss off, I've been brewing for 10 years. I went to kegging because I'm lazy and it's easy easier than bottling.

Granted, I'd grow my own hops too because I also garden, but hops don't grow so well in my climate zone.
>>
>>1029318
>hops don't grow so well in my climate

dont believe the hype - IME, they aint particularly fussy (was mid EU), but, never totally thrived/spread by me either. May have another go (just like em as clambering weeds, get beer hassle-free every supermarket) but, prob. moved too far North meanime. Should just take my own advice, and try it.
>>
>>1029326

I'm in Texas, they don't do so well around me. Some folks have success near Austin, but not where I'm at.
>>
>>1024464
>>1025246
>>1025262
>>1028498
>>1028502
>>1028651
>>1029131
Are you guys are retarded? I generally consider /diy/ to be one of the smarter boards. One pound of C02 is equivalent to 8.74 cubic feet when uncompressed, so a standard 5lb tank could only leak ~43 cubic feet into a room. For reference, a tiny 8x8 bedroom has a volume of 512 cubic feet, and I'm sure the OP's basement is much larger than that.
>>
>>1029436

Yup. If there was an epidemic of CO2 poisoning and deaths from leaky tanks then carbonated beverages wouldn't be so extremely popular
>>
>>1029438

Following up...

It is important to check your lines and fittings. I had a slow leak that emptied 5lb tank over a few days. It's annoying. Tank refill was like $25 and a 30 minute drive from my house, had to leave work early because the AirGas shop closes at 5 and isn't open weekends. Expecting to pour a beer off a fresh CO2 bottle and finding you have no pressure and can't get a refill sucks, all that delicious beer and no way to access it.
>>
>>1029436
How'd I get tarred with the retard brush? I'm pointing out the extreme circumstances it could barely happen in
Basically you'd need to be running a speak easy with 7 taps failing at once to get to the point of having a problem... From your 8x8 room
>>
>>1029561
I'm going to assume that you think each tap needs it's own C02 canister, which is not the case. 7 bad taps would still only have one leaky tank. You can dispense 8-10 kegs with 5lbs of C02 depending on brand, temperature, elevation, pressure needs, etc. before needing to refill your tank.

Anyway, if I can remember tonight I'll shoot some pics of my bar. Totally forgot yesterday.
>>
The plumbing and CO2 connections ain't shit unless you are retarded. Shut off the CO2 at the cylinder valve when not using it.

Put the cylinder so it is fucking CONVENIENT to access or you'll forget.

See beer forums for taps, hoses, fittings etc.

CO2 cylinders have a standard CGA-320 regulator nipple with crush washer where it connects to the cylinder. Spare washers are cheap so hang a pack on the wall. Open end wrench size for most fittings is 1 1/8".

Cylinders "refilled" by exchange at your local supplier. Check around since fill prices vary.

I deal with a lot of industrial gas and hate going for refills. I'd get the largest CO2 cylinder available since fills are cheaper per volume on larger cylinders.

If you want backup, get two cylinders instead of one. I collect all I can get via Craigslist because I use CO2 for portable pneumatic tools (200 psi to my impact wrench works nicely) and inflating trailer tires etc. Fuck buying an expensive Powertank.

You can size your installation to your needs. You can start small and add. It's plumbing.
>>
>>1025256
This.
Has a nice look, but most places make you put down payments and return dates on kegs. It doesn't save too much money, really, either. If you just want the look, install Just the tap, but using it seems silly, unless you have lots of money
>>
>>1024430
This is a super-easy project. You need:
> CO2 tank (typically 5#, but 20# are more bang for your buck);
> regulator
> sanke coupler
> beer line fitting from coupler to faucet
> CO2 line fitting from regulator to coupler
> shank that goes through the wall, if you're going with a tower no shank needed, just drill a hole in the counter and install the tower
> nice perlick faucet (not flow control)
> drip tray
> keg filled with beer

Once all your fittings are CO2 tested and not leaking, you're good to go. Just make sure to cover your taps at night and to run BLC through your lines every time you change a keg.
>>
>>1024430
Instead of installing it into the bar and partially demoing your already complete setup, why not look into the mini-fridge keg kit, and get a nice stainless minifridge and Jaegermister rubber bar mat? Put some rolly wheels on it, and then you can scoot it whereever your bigscreen is for gameday, and by the bar when its social night. And if you don't end up liking it, you can always sell it on craigslist for the same price of the materials that went into it, cause upperclass braindead college kids will gobble that shit up for their parties and bragging rights.
>>
>>1024430
its fucking easy man. Get a small keg that will fit in a mini fridge. st the co2 tank beside it. Drill a hole in the fridge for the lines and seal with great stuff. Only problem is cost of the keg, tank and regulator. I picked up a stolen one of my aryan brotherhood neighbor back when i lived in the hood for 15$ tho
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.