[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/ how exactly do you do something like pic related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: UExUUzq.jpg (96KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
UExUUzq.jpg
96KB, 640x960px
Hey /diy/ how exactly do you do something like pic related?

The guy who made this said something about stacking layers of plywood on top of each other and then cutting it out.

How wood (kek) I do this? Stacking the plywood, I mean. Is there a youtube vid out there on it? because I can't find it
>>
>>1024297
Step 1: waste a shitload of wood
>>
>>1024297
Tricky. It's like an efficient method riddle. Obviously, you could glue up, drill the inside corners, and hack at it with a ryoba. I doubt that's how he did it.
>>
>>1024297
Make a bunch of wide-ish right angles, and a bunch of also wide-ish straight pieces cut at 45 degrees at each end so they fit together at right angles. Cut the curves out of them so you've got like twenty pieces that go from corner-to-corner, and twenty pieces that go from midpoint-of-side-to-midpoint-of-side. Then stack on top of each other layers of alternating corner pieces and side pieces with wood glue between each layer. Clamp with like eight clamps and leave for 24 hours. chisel off excess glue and sand.
>>
>>1024305
Dude wat?
>>
File: image.jpg (979KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
979KB, 3264x2448px
>>1024308
Based Elite and Muscular Diagram
>>
>>1024312
That's even more work than... more work than almost anything! And you still need a band saw, or carpal tunnel jigsaw craziness.
>>
>>1024297
make template to guide router
cut ply wood
glue up, clamp
spindle sand
>>
>>1024325
^this
>>
>>1024325
Doesn't that waste a huge amount of wood? What happens to the stuff from the centre of the square?
>>
>>1024342
Cut ply to two third length of square, soak and bend, over lap to thickness, glue, fill, sand, laminate.
>>
>>1024342
>waste
Scrap comes in handy young man
>>
>>1024360
>young man
>kek
Of course it does, but minimising scrap is better than just creating it willy-nilly and hoping you'll use it someday.
>>
>>1024312
>Elite and Muscular
/rug/ OUT
>>
>>1024381
>/rug/
Um excuse me I'm here from /cric/
>>
>>1024297
What is this supposed to even be?
>>
>>1024342
It's a showoff piece.
>>
Simple if you have a band saw. You'd make it how you'd make a Bandsaw box.

Personally I think it's a wasteful and pointless endeavour so I'd rather box joint 4 pieces of timber in a square frame

Cut the outer shape on the band saw, cut through the centre on two opposite sides with the table saw, cut the inner shape on the band saw

Finger joint the two halves back together. Allow for the extra length required when finger jointing.

I'd be much more pleased with the joint work on display over the wasted core out of a large blank.
>>
>>1024453
http://imgur.com/a/5qxw7

Some friends and I build custom PC cases. We usually work with aluminum, but we wanted to try a wooden base this time around.

It's not going to look exactly like this, but we're using the technique
>>
I'd use a scroll saw.
Glue all of your veneer sheets, CLAMPS, drill a hole, thread the screw saw blade through your block of veneer and cut out the center.
Easy peasy japaneasy
>>
>>1024473
You wouldn't get a work piece that big in a scroll saw, let alone have the patience to cut it with the amount of blades you've broken trying.
>>
>>1024484
Glue and cut halves or thirds or quarters at a time, then glue the resulting pieces.
>>
File: round joint.jpg (42KB, 950x585px) Image search: [Google]
round joint.jpg
42KB, 950x585px
>>
>>1024492
That actually might be simpler, desu.
>>
>>1024485
Waste of time resulting in a weaker structure for sake of using a more appropriate tool.

>>1024492
This reiterates what I said here:
>>1024458
>>
>>1024492
Looks a lot easier than what I was going to suggest. Marvelous. Plus ops picture doesn't even look like layered ply. It definitely looks more like they did this and veneered it. Getting a shape like that by layering sheets of reformed plywood would take several days, and be no stronger for it.
>>
Just get 4 straight pieces of wood and 4 round edges, glue them together and be very precise with paint, sandpaper and glossy.
>>
File: 1468847126373-1959323531.jpg (291KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1468847126373-1959323531.jpg
291KB, 1080x1920px
>>1024555
You could have at least suggested some joints. Pardon my shit drawing. Gets the point across.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (71KB, 944x752px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
71KB, 944x752px
Would the techniques ITT be appropriate for pic related, and enclosure for a CRT?
>>
File: F8SG95SHMVJDE8H.RECT2100.jpg (1MB, 2100x1750px) Image search: [Google]
F8SG95SHMVJDE8H.RECT2100.jpg
1MB, 2100x1750px
>>1024297
you laminate the plywood to desired depth and then cnc
>>
>>1024572
>>1024297
just get thinner plywood pieces, cut it out and at the end glue all over eachother, together
>>
>>1024572
That looks like a good solid machine (1/2" Al plate?). Is it your own design?
>>
>>1024570
>Would the techniques ITT be appropriate for pic related, and enclosure for a CRT?

why bother?

In that application, there will be a side you cannot see in use. Just wrap veneer round it with the seam out of sight. Same result with a fraction of the effort.
>>
>>1024492
this makes me hard.
>>
>>1024299
>>1024297
The only right answer (if your goal is to preserve the grain) is to waste a shitload of wood.
You could go for wasting two pieces of plywood instead, for the top and bottom.
But it's going to be obvious that the internal pieces are made from multiple sections, unless you're some kind of god-king at tolerances.

If you're painting over it anyways, then do whatever you want.
>>
File: box_visual2.jpg (12KB, 325x280px) Image search: [Google]
box_visual2.jpg
12KB, 325x280px
>>1024297
>>
>>1024567
it'd be easier to switch the mortises to the sides and put the tenons on the corners.
>>
I'm suprised no one mentioned vaccum bending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEFa9TwX0AY
I belive there are kits for this that work with regiular vaccum cleaners.
IMO this would be the simpliest method, although layers would have different pattern
>>1024548
OP's pic maybe not, but look at the other pics from >>1024465 link
It's definitely plywood.
>>
>>1025108
>Implying it would be any kind of easy

It's going to be a long, drawn out mess is what it is.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.