[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After a lot of hemming and hawing and hee hawing and weighing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

File: 71aDTgJIkNL._SL1000_.jpg (156KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
71aDTgJIkNL._SL1000_.jpg
156KB, 1000x1000px
After a lot of hemming and hawing and hee hawing and weighing the pros and cons between Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, Hitachi, Ryobi, and Dewalt, I went out and got myself a Dewalt 20v Max drill/driver combo kit.

I'm now locked in baby. Did I dun goof for not going with another brand, or did I do well? I'm upgrading from a Dewalt 14.4v drill and I can tell you now the new drill absolutely destroys the old one in performance, like night and day, but it still works despite a downright abusive relationship I've had with it so I think Dewalt really knows how to make tools that last.
>>
>>1023840
>I'm now locked in baby. Did I dun goof for not going with another brand, or did I do well?
We legit don't care. Take your tool wars thread to /b/ or something.
>>
Do the tools perform the tasks you require of them? Then they're fine.
>>
>>1023840
I got a cheap drill at harbor freight. Chicago or Milwaukee or some shit. I rarely use it, so it's fine for me. All the carpenters I see always have fucking dewalt everything. I imagine that shit is designed to last a long time being used every fucking day. I doubt u can go wrong with it OP.
>>
>>1023840
All my power tools are dewalt and I've never had a single issue. Milwaukee Has been getting a lot of hype lately and there are certain things I like about them but they dont seem to have quite as much power. Milwaukee Is also a good bit more expensive for literally no reason so they can get fucked
>>
>>1023840
you can't really go wrong with top brands they're all good.
>>
your doing fine. picked up the same combo six months ago. the drill is great but you'll fall in love with the impact. I also got the max circular saw and the max miter saw. I know most people would disagree with me but I love having a cordless miter. I'll admit it's not as powerfully as corded, but it's more than enough for the hobbyist or renovator.
>>
>>1023893
>Milwaukee Is also a good bit more expensive for literally no reason so they can get fucked

Its because Milwaukee name doesnt have "low end" or budget lines.
The kit OP bought is a "budget" line.

If he were to buy the same quality line from Milwaukee, he would have to buy the Ryobi One+ line.

Dewalt doesnt do that, they just have many different levels of quality within the same name. The Low line Dewalts are literally the same as the Porter Cables and the high end Black and Deckers.

Cant be mad that the Milwaukee brushless drills are expensive, and you cant ignore the fact the top of the line Dewalt Brushless are right in the same price range.
>>
>>1023840
I don't understand why people go cordless. Corded is cheaper and higher torque. All the brands you mentioned are similar low-end tools made in similar asian factories with similar quality. Brand differences only matter when you get to higher end tools like Hilti, but the cost of those only make sense for someone with daily use who can payback and depreciate its' cost
>>
>>1023977
Lithium batteries have made cordless drills pack a huge punch, especially with brushless.
Corded drills for most normal people are a huge pain in the ass, on a jobsite they are even worse. Yes you may need the sheer power of a corded drill sometimes, like if you need a rotary hammer. They are popular because they meet the needs of most people.

As for being a Hilti snob under the guise of >muh asian factories.
You realize that half of Hilti tools are made in china, and have been for over a decade right?

The ones made in better countries?
Its going to be chinese parts shipped in and assembled there.

To think otherwise would be delusional. Whatever it takes to keep you paying a premium I guess
>>
>>1023977
Many /diy/ers use gear for many years so there's ample payback with quality tools. Use need not be daily for payback. Mine isn't.

Cordless is great for mobility. Don't buy it if you don't need it, but if you can benefit from it cordless is great.

I bought my 28V Milwaukees about 8 years ago. They helped renovate two houses, helped join my shipping container shop, have cut all sorts of parts off salvage vehicles in yards where there is no shore power, and get frequent use. I still have one of the two original batteries along with a couple more recent units. I have corded tools too for prolonged in-shop use, but reach for the cordless first for most jobs. The DeWalt 60 volt units are very interesting.

I never cried myself to sleep over buying good tools and equipment.

If you DIY seriously you will DIY more and more as you get proficient. It saves mad money. Just doing ball joints/tie rods/pitman and idler arms on my K1500 paid for my ball joint press, but that was paid for on the first job I did with it and this is the third. (I don't rent because I want tools available 24/7 and often use them for work they weren't designed for.)

Budget tools have a place too, for example bottle jack presses like my old Harbor Freight press. That paid for itself several vehicles and many other jobs ago.
>>
>>1023952
Milwaukee DOES has two lines. Their brushless FUEL tools, and their regular brushed tools. I have both and can feel the differences in quality. But their $100 drill is stil better than a $30 black n decker.
>>
>>1024005
Milwaukee doesnt have a "budget line". Their standard brushed tools came out a decade ago.
Adding a new and improved brushed line does not make the outdated tools a low level tool.

They have gone down in price. Big difference to tools that were built to be cheaper in the first place. Thats where you look to their Ryobi or Rigid tools
>>
>>1024011
You keep defending Milfuckme but if it's not 20+ years old it's garbage.
All Techtronic makes is garbage.
Enjoy your garbage tool.
>>
>>1023952
yes i understand that BUT i'm not buying at some big box store, usually industrial supply stores so the same place contractors get their shit. not sure how to tell if you're buying the good shit or not but but i think i'm safe with those type of stores. my most recent example of the price difference is that i just ordered the Dewalt 20V XR(700ft-lbs) which was $299 for the bare tool and the Milwaukee equivalent was $400 again just for the tool and what's worse is that it's only 600ft-lbs.

i have no doubt Milwaukee is making great tools and like i said they have some features i like such as the dial to control the pumps on their grease gun but again you're getting a less powerful tool at a higher price
>>
>>1023977
i buy cordless because i don't always have somewhere to plug in. when i'm out in the field and have to fix something it sure is nice to have cordless tools rather then have to use old manual tools for everything. cordless tools are also pretty powerful these days, it's getting to the point where my cordless tools are just as powerful as my air or in some cases(grease gun) even more powerful
>>
>>1023952
>The Low line Dewalts are literally the same as the Porter Cables and the high end Black and Deckers.
No, they're far superior in pretty much every way. Even the nicads, which are cratering in price.
>>
>>1023990
>like if you need a rotary hammer.
Makita makes a cordless one that has two 18V batteries connected in series.
>>
>>1024052
DeWalt get better every year. I rate most of them with my Milwaukees and own a mix of both. I also ran a welding school toolroom and the DeWalt 9" grinders were more reliable than Milwaukee and Metabo.

I have no problem recommending either.
>>
>>1024080
Worth every penny.
>>
I got the Dewalt drill/impact driver combo a few months ago. Extremely satisfied.
>>
>>1024026
>says the black and decker man

>>1024052
>less powerful tool at a higher price

I hear you say this every fucking thread, and you literally have no proof of it
Just keep saying they "seem" stronger to you.

>>1024079
>No, they're far superior in pretty much every way

Of course they are, its confirmation bias because you bought the yellow cased tool instead of the orange one. Same price and coming out of the same factory be damned
>>
>>1024106
No, it's because I've seen the insides and the spec sheets for both and can tell you that even a cheap dewalt like the DCD771 is miles better than the new "high end" 20v max B&Ds. Keep in mind that you can also use the dewalt batteries with a giant pile of different tools whereas B&D doesn't offer nearly as much.
Keep being delusional, amigo.
>>
>>1024110
>I've seen the insides and the spec sheets
>Keep being delusional, amigo.

Oh look, must be one of the mexicans who is making all of the dewalt drills and grinders down there in mexico

Though it wont be too long until those are outsourced to Taiwan like their miter and table saws were.
Then at least the nationalistic retards cant complain about COO anymore. As if the same chinese parts being assembled in mexico is going to be superior to just assembling it in china.
>>
I only use corded tools, and I get the cheapest one that'll do the job.

My Hitachi drill is on year three of daily use.

Porter Cable jigsaw on year three.

Harbor Freight belt sanders i replace twice a year. (I beat the fucking shit out of them) They just take the returns; no questions asked.

Porter cable pancake compressor and brad gun have been running strong for 15 years.

Harbor Freight router lasts about a year.

They say you can't afford to buy cheap tools, but I've made 10's of thousands with mine.
>>
>>1023990
I didn't say that you can't make good tools in China. I said those tools are made in similar budget tool factories.
>>
>>1024112
So now you're just throwing out hyperbole and insults instead of attempting to back up your point.
gg no re hombre.
>>1024114
I like whatever I buy to be something that I know I can use for years after I get it, even if it costs a bit more.
>>
>>1024116
>So now you're just throwing out hyperbole and insults instead of attempting to back up your point.

I figured my post full of horse shit was just as valid as your appeal to authority "look at me, I pretend to pull tools apart like AVE!"
>>
>>1024116
I can't argue with your philosophy, desu. I just hate comparison shopping for stuff, and my girlfriend spends my money as quick as I make it, so I just say fuck it.

I will say, for shop equipment, Im the exact opposite. I'm running a 1961 Craftsman 10" contractor saw that i fully restored. Thing humms like a $2000 jet, and I snagged it for $50.
>>
>>1024121
When did I appeal to any authority?
I prefer to fix/clean my own tools, and sometimes I do that for people who ask me to. I also used to work at a store where we would repair tools.
Budget dewalt =/= "Premium" B&D, disprove that.
>>
>>1024127
>When did I appeal to any authority?

>I prefer to fix/clean my own tools, and sometimes I do that for people who ask me to
>I also used to work at a store where we would repair tools.
>I've seen the insides and the spec sheets for both

Its pretty hard to believe, especially since you said you used to work for a repair shop. Yet somehow know how good some brand new tools are. You know, the tools that get returned to walmart or thrown away instead of taken to a repair shop.
>>
>>1024128
>Hard to believe that somebody on /diy/ used to work at a /diy/ related business
>Hard to believe that somebody on /diy/ does things themselves
>New tools get thrown away because I say so
My god, what are you doing?
>>
>>1024130
>My god, what are you doing?
Dealing with the mental gymnastics of someone taking a 79$ tool to you, and paying you more than 79$ to fix it

But hey, someone here might believe you and thats all that counts right?
>>
>>1024133
If they're taking it to me personally, they're a friend or family and pay less than getting it repaired somewhere else.
I'm trying to deal with the mental gymnastics of you claiming that two different tools are exactly the same because you say so and everybody who disagrees is a chink/mexican/AVE/Liar.
Did dewalt diddle you as a kid?
>>
>>1024135
>same parent comapny
>same price
>same specs
>different cases, different stores

vs

>I do a job that ceased to exist 20 years ago
>look at me, I am an authority on the internals of throwaway tools
>>
>>1024138
>>I do a job that ceased to exist 20 years ago
This is getting to Francis E Dec levels of delusion
>look at me, I am an authority on the internals of throwaway tools
You must be too, since you know enough to say
"The Low line Dewalts are literally the same as the Porter Cables and the high end Black and Deckers."

So what isn't a "throwaway tool" to you?
>>
>>1024143
Oh also,
>inb4 you're the Makita jihadi
>>
>>1024143
Conventional use of the term is a tool that costs more to fix than to buy new.

But id venture to say a brand new tool line that broke so quickly that it got to your former shop
>>
>>1024150
Those are some real compelling arguments you have there.
>>
>>1024152
As opposed to
>i know the insides and out of a cheap tool that is new enough that every owner is still under factory warranty
>yet for some reason they came to me, to pay more than the tool is worth to repair it instead of getting it fixed for free
>thought that was just a former job
>>
>see a new tool thread
>already turned into a shitflinging contest

Never change /diy/
>>
>>1024155
Now you're just repeating yourself and your made up situations.
I'll keep liking what you don't like, and you can't stop me.
>>1024158
Cordless tool threads reached their high point with the Makita 18v coffee maker, it's all downhill from here. Now we just need MOWOOKEE guy and this thread will be complete.
>>
>>1024106
I use Bosch.

Milfuckme has had a demonstrable drop in quality since it was last bought out.

Open your tools up. You're paying more for plastic, bearings, motor, etc for absolutely no reason.

Milwaukee used to be much better than it is now.
>>
>>1023852
this is a board that frequently uses tools, don't you think?

stop being edgy
>>
>>1024159
>Now we just need MOWOOKEE guy and this thread will be complete.

Well this is the first thread I have seen Dewalt shilled for.
>>
How does DeWalt justify calling their line 20V when they use the same number of 18650 cells in their packs like everyone else?
>>
>>1024242
Max voltage for the individual cells without a load on them is something like 4.12 volts, and there's five to a pack. Technically, all 18v lithium ion tools are around 20V max, but only a few manufacturers advertise this. I also heard it was to keep people from getting 20V batteries for their 18V tools, and vice versa, but it doesn't hurt to advertise a bigger number. Most manufacturers do it for their Li-Ion "12v" line too, which is closer to 10.7.
>>
>>1024011
Believe what you want, it doesn't make it true.
>>
>>1024123
>girlfriend spends money as quick as I can make it

Lol how's those outdated gender roles working out for you?
>>
>>1024112
Actually they now assemble those Chinese parts in America. Lol globalization.
>>
File: Makita.png (281KB, 1205x575px) Image search: [Google]
Makita.png
281KB, 1205x575px
>>1023840
Shoulda gone Mikata bro, just look at how cute and portable they are, unless you really need to drive large shit
>>
>>1024362
I've had the chance to use some of those.
For a compact tool like that, they're surprisingly effective.
>>
>>1024367
If only I did enough making of stuff to justify buying anything more than the $20 Harbor Freight stuff
>>
>>1023977
You'll probably find that it is better for some people to use only cordless tools due to company policy on JSA's and other paperwork.
Using mains corded tools are considered a higher risk and depending on the tool may require a specific work permit but cordless tools are exempt and are considered lower risk so the job can get done with minimal paperwork.

In addition to that if mains isn't available you'll have to cart a generator around with you and pay for fuel and maintenance on that too.
>>
Hey OP, you should have shilled
>Insert brand
The brand of tool you're using isn't half as good as my brand. You're comparing your own brand to the same brand so how do you know you bought the right brand when you didn't try my brand?

The sooner you realised one of them makes holes in shit and the other fills them with shit, the sooner you'll realise you won the fucking game if that's what they do.

Bait/10 and I took it.
>>
File: impact899.jpg (87KB, 550x307px) Image search: [Google]
impact899.jpg
87KB, 550x307px
>>1023977
Cordless tools have had huge increases in power in the last few years with the maturation of lithium batteries and brushless motors. In many cases the high-end cordless tools offer better performance than the best corded options from the same company. Pic related is a cordless impact wrench with more torque than most air wrenches. It can do things like change semi tires on a remote roadside.

And of course there's the traditional advantage of cordless tools of not having to drag cords around wherever you go. It's not a big concern for a DIY shop, but if you need to do maintenance in an attic or crawlspace, a cord can be a major hassle. And a lot of cordless tools come with features like task lights not commonly found on corded tools.
>>
>>1024500
>Dewalt universally hated on this board
>shit in in every tool thread on here

>summer comeso
>whole thread with every post sucking Dewalt cock.

maybe you are right, maybe it's not shilling
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-18-07-14-56.png (609KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-18-07-14-56.png
609KB, 540x960px
>>1024332
Maybe if you weren't husky you she wouldn't need her snap-on.
>>
>>1024512
>Hating on any of top tool brands.
But why?

>It's okay to hate on festool, they look like kids toys.
>>
>>1024520
Because, supposedly, Fein and Metabo are better, or so say the eurocucks
>>
>>1024516
English, do you speak it?
>>
Cordless tools are great for mobility and speed when it comes to light quick jobs.

Though if you spent more than 45 mins in one location and you are less than 75' from a power source you might as well drag out the power cord and your 2000w and up tools.
>>
>>1024545
>play on words
fuck off retard
>>
>>1024649
>poorly constructed illiterate play on words
>>
File: BIBzPWAB8SI.jpg (912KB, 1080x1349px) Image search: [Google]
BIBzPWAB8SI.jpg
912KB, 1080x1349px
>>1024560
Not really. I'd guess you probably work in a workshop or you're a DIYer that doesn't really own good enough battery tools to be convinced.

I use battery tools all day long every day 260 days a year, the only time I go to the trouble of using corded tools is when I'm cutting a lot of metal for one job and decide to set up my 305 TCT saw. Otherwise, all battery.

Also I spotted this picture on Instagram of a cuckshed. It has almost as many lights as it does useable tools. Y'know, for the cuck of it.
>>
>>1024921
>cuck
Not you too /diy/! you were so pure.
>>
>>1024179
who the fuck cares. /v/ frequently eats food but you don't see mcdonalds vs burger king threads there do you
>>
>>1024924
Since when? DIY has basically been a tutorial for Google for years
>>
File: worried laughter.png (514KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
worried laughter.png
514KB, 520x678px
>>1024921
>He doesn't have anything from the cordless magnetic drill press range
Pleb.

Seriously though.
That one just in front of the fan? Apparently it's a hammer drill with a built in vacuum, that's the huge base it's sitting on. (Like $750)
>>
>>1024921

The mobility is the reason why I have every corded and cordless tool mirrored except you can't get a 7"-9" grinder, 9" saw or a heavier sds hammer tool in cordless.

But like I said before if I am sat there predicting I am going to use the tool for over 45 mins (actual tool time) I will start up the damn genny if I have no nearby power source.

I work in marine repair. Primarily steel car ferries and concrete jettys
>>
>>1024106
>I hear you say this every fucking thread
this is literally the first thread i've ever said that in. it also doesn't take a fucking genius to compare specs
>>
>>1024935
My hilti TE7 had a vacuum attachment 8 years ago.

>>1024940
How heavy duty do you need an SDS tool to be? Hilti SDS tools are battery and heavy duty? Or are you talking breaker? In that case why not pneumatic?
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.