[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello diy, I'm thing on mounting this blue spinny thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Untitled-2.jpg (70KB, 600x305px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
70KB, 600x305px
Hello diy, I'm thing on mounting this blue spinny thing on this bigger spinny thing (abrasive wheel), the blue thing has 1700 rpm and 2.5 hp. Will it work?
>>
thinking*
>>
>>1023315
It will work, but be warned, that motor has no clutch and it's at the very least 2 times as powerful as what the chop saw originally came with, so if it binds, the disc may come apart
>>
>>1023317
The saw comes with no motor, but the manufacturer recommends high rpm and high hp.
>>
>>1023318
"High"? How about you post the numbers is recommends instead of generalizations. High RPM for general purpose tools can be anywhere from 3500 RPM (table saw) to 12,000 RPM (router).
>>
>>1023324
>not spinning your saw blades at 10000 rpm
its like you dont want to cut fast
>>
>>1023324
chill out, around 3500 rpm and 2hp
>>
>>1023329

abrasives need speed

do like a pulley thing to make it 3500
>>
>>1023315
>that image
I don't think the saw can cut through the motor.
>>
>>1023406
That's an abrasive chop saw. Of course it can, supposing there's another motor powering it.
>>
>>1023315

Not very well. 1700rpm is slow for an abrasive wheel. 1700rpm is TCT territory.

For reference my Makita TCT cut off saw I'd 1300rpm

My dewalt abrasive cut off saw is closer to 3800rpm
>>
>>1023315
>Hello diy, I'm thing on mounting this blue spinny thing on this bigger spinny thing (abrasive wheel), the blue thing has 1700 rpm and 2.5 hp. Will it work?
One thing to consider here is that there is a limited amount of power that you can draw from a single socket.

One horsepower is equivalent to about 750 watts.

For typical US sockets wired to modern standards, the normal circuit breaker limit is 15 amps, that works out to about 1800 watts maximum.... Which is only 2.4 HP....

...and motors tend to draw a surge current on start-up, unless they have a soft-start (slow-start) circuit on them....

I would say to investigate what sizes (wattages) of motors these things usually run, and get one the same size, or only slightly larger.

Since these saws are basically intermittent-use, try to get one that spins a bit faster than normal if you want to overdo it.... but not a whole lot faster, because the abrasive disks have RPM limit ratings too.
>>
File: photo_2016-07-17_18-14-35.jpg (86KB, 719x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-07-17_18-14-35.jpg
86KB, 719x1280px
Hey guys, OP here, little update: I got a 3500rpm 1hp motor yesterday and before I mounted it to the chop saw and turned it on I decided to disassemble the thing and check all the parts, then I found this HUGE crack which would probably break and make me a really ugly booboo If i had tried to use it.

Now i'm sitting here wondering what to do with this thing. Do I try to weld it up by my own risk or do I go back to the guy that sold me with a baseball bat? (the guy said it was brand new, I asked a friend of mine to pick it up since I was at work at the time, so I kind of trusted the seller)
>>
File: photo_2016-07-17_18-14-40.jpg (83KB, 719x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-07-17_18-14-40.jpg
83KB, 719x1280px
Close up picture of the crack.
>>
>>1024195
>>1024196
That is a no bueno. What kind of metal is it?. Steel our just some pot metal? If your ability to weld is good and you do a proper job it will hold up. I would be concerned that the welding might throw off the alignment though.
>>
File: photo_2016-07-17_18-14-44.jpg (128KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-07-17_18-14-44.jpg
128KB, 1280x719px
>>1024197
I'm a pretty good stick welder, but that's cast iron and I'm not sure i'ts a good idea to mess with it. Pic related is the other side of the crack.
>>
>>1024199
Yeah, its trash then. It takes skill to weld cast iron and you don't want something that weighs 20 pounds and is spinning at 3k RPM to just fall over when you are using it.
>>
>>1024060
>For typical US sockets wired to modern standards, the normal circuit breaker limit is 15 amps, that works out to about 1800 watts maximum.... Which is only 2.4 HP....
It's 20 amps for garages and outside sockets, which is probably what OP would use to power it. A chop saw isn't something to use anywhere near flammables. Also, breakers can handle well above their nominal current for brief periods. My chop saw has a nominal 5.5hp motor, and while it can trip a 20A breaker if you push it, keeping the pressure light enough for a straight cut hasn't presented any problems.
>>
OP here; since I found that crack and didn't have the guts to fuck around with welding cast iron, I sold the machine to a welder that works near my house so he will know how to fix it.
>>
>>1024504

>tfw my living room socket circuit is at 40 amps at 220volts
>it was a kids bedroom before we converted it
>>
>fucks around with different motors to find the right one
>Cracked housing and no good for shit
>>
>>1024874
>I will never live in glorious UK were I can weld in my kid's bedroom.
>>
File: Dexter.png (83KB, 397x500px) Image search: [Google]
Dexter.png
83KB, 397x500px
>>1024874
Sounds like a fun childhood there.

>>1024941
A nicer inverter can weld decently on a 15A-120V circuit.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.